pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

'97 WaveVenture 1100 - high oil consumption?

My '97 WaveVenture 1100 had 99.1 hours on the clock when I bought it this spring. We had it in the water briefly a couple of weeks ago and pretty heavily over the holiday weekend, and we put about 6 hours on the ski so far. I filled the oil reservoir (about 3/4 of a gallon) before we started riding and I got a low oil warning after about 5 hours. It took pretty close to 3/4 of a gallon to fill it up, so the warning was right on the money.

Oh and before everyone chimes in, I've been planning on going pre-mix, but if I do that, it will have to wait until I bring the ski back home for the winter. Planning on doing a carb cleaning at the least. Might do a tune-up on the motor too, but that may be a little ambitious!

Oh and thanks again for the advice on the ski. The whole family enjoyed the hell out of it - from me and the wife and our 2 and 5 year old kids to my brother and his family, and my 63 year old mom and dad! Here's a pic from the weekend fun - no jokes about the hair - I had already been out with both kids individually and on a solo run for speed...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

Re: '97 WaveVenture 1100 - high oil consumption?

was it smoking like heck? otherwise don't sweat it untill you go premix ,, more oil is fine
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday Regular

Should also mention that she seems to smoke a decent bit at idle, but not at all under a load. There is no hesitation when you first get on the gas and no trouble at WOT. Engine compartment is spotless, so I don't think it's leaking out the reservoir or anything crazy like that. Everything seems to be normal, but just a little higher oil burn than I was expecting to see.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

The 1100's use oil like crazy & the alarm goes off way early so you dont run out of oil.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad the alarm goes off early.. Better that than to run it dry and grenade the motor.

Running premix would slow down the consumption since it would be eating gas and oil out of the one tank at the same rate, right? The 1100 has a 13gal tank, so if I ran 50:1, I would need about a quart per tank. Is that a good ratio? I've seen people suggest every ratio under the sun.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

premix,nuff said

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfoust View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'm glad the alarm goes off early.. Better that than to run it dry and grenade the motor.

Running premix would slow down the consumption since it would be eating gas and oil out of the one tank at the same rate, right? The 1100 has a 13gal tank, so if I ran 50:1, I would need about a quart per tank. Is that a good ratio? I've seen people suggest every ratio under the sun.
    16 oz for 5 gallons is 44 to 1, works great.

Easy to remember.

Thread Information