• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fitztool
    PWCToday Newbie
    • May 2010

First Tigersharks, Need Help Please!

So I bought a pair of 97 Montego DLXs today, and I need some advice/help. There is a hole on the left side of the ski that has threads in it, but no plug. Whats this for? The guy I bought them from said that one ski pumps water out and one doesnt. Is it the coolant exit for the motor? If so, Where should i start to troubleshoot? Where is the intake for the water for the engine? Also, since there is no tigershark dealer by me, what kind of oil should i be running?

Thanks

Mark
  • engr146
    I dream skis
    • Sep 2009

Re: First Tigersharks, Need Help Please!

left side outlet is a bypass,water should be coming out when engine running in water ,It's also used to flush motor or run motor out of water,their is an attatchment you can buy or make to hookup hose to it .never run water to engine ,without engine running 1st,shut water then shut engine.
    50:1 if premix Any 2 cycle outboard oil with TC-W3
    Last edited by engr146; 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM.
    98 Yamaha GP 760 (Newest)
    98 Tigershark 770TSL(sold)
    96 Montego DLX 640 (sold)
    33' Chriss Craft Catilina

Comment

• fitztool
      PWCToday Newbie
      • May 2010

so for the one that does not have water coming out of the left side hole when it is running, where should I start to troubleshoot why its not coming out? Where is the water intake for the engine located? Another thing I was wondering is do these have any kind of thermal shutdown if they get to hot? Thanks for the help!

Mark.

Comment

• engr146
        I dream skis
        • Sep 2009

cooling water is pushed tru the engine from the jetpump,
        You have to follow lines from thru hull fitting ,make sure lines are connected properly or not disconected during winterization.
        The ski has a thermo-switch (Limp Mode ) that will limit engine RPM to 2000 If Hot,depending on engine size It's located on expansion chamber on a 770

Comment

• jumpo64
          PWCToday Regular
          • Jun 2009

It may have changed on the 97, but on my 95 the hole with threads on the left side is where you connect the hose to flush or run the engine while not in water. The hole on the right side is the bilge outlet. Neither need a plug or anything.

Comment

• fitztool
            PWCToday Newbie
            • May 2010

Where is the coolant intake on the motor itself? I looked and couldn't seem to see it.
            I don't have a hole on both sides of the hull, just the left side. The bilge on mine exits by the impeller. If anyone could post a diagram or link me to one of the cooling system, it would be greatly appriacted.

Thanks
            Mark

Comment

• engr146
              I dream skis
              • Sep 2009

just behind steering nozzle you will see a 90 deg. fitting with hose attatched ,that goes thru hull and connects to engine head.I don't know if you have a water strainer in between hose on that model
              bilge outlet @ pump area is normal.on different models.go to below and select year model.
              www.brownsleisureworld.com
              Last edited by engr146; 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Earsom26
                PWCToday Newbie
                • May 2020

I was just reading through this thread.asking myself the same question regarding the large threaded holes on both sides of my hull on a 96 Montego. But right next to each threaded hole is also pisser holes? I also understand that the left side is related to the motor coolant, and the right is related to the billage pump. I also understand that the pisser on the left side should have water exiting from it while the motor is running, but should the larger threaded flushing hole right next to it be capped while it's in the water ?I'd figure without it being capped, it would allow water to enter back into the motor, also not allowing water to exit the pisser hole? Any suggestions on if it needs to be capped while in the water?

Comment

• rdjeep
                  Resident Guru
                  • Jun 2006

You can search cooling diagrams for this craft on the web, a bunch of stuff comes up. Trace out the hoses, you will likely answer some of your curiosity. Understand it BEFORE you go plugging anything. Plugging a port would be very unusual. One of the small ports is probably the battery vent.

Comment

• Old man rookie
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Sep 2018

The large threaded hole is the pisser

Comment

Working...
                    X