Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Ala Moana

PWCToday Newbie

Ala Moana

Aloha all,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PWC. It seems like every few months or so, a reasonably priced jet ski shows up on craigslist.

The thing is, I live by (and the closest beach is) Ala Moana. There's a boat ramp there, but I have a small car (Mazda Miata, a two seater) and that boat ramp has quite a lip to it.

The other day I say someone jet ski-ing out of the harbor, but I couldn't stick around long enough to see where he recovered from.

So ... south shore, Ala Moana area ... any good launch points?

Thanks in advance for answers

Andy
    Last edited by Andros; 05-20-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Re: Ala Moana

I've launched from the Ala Moana ramp once, but bear in mind that it's not exactly legal to do so due to a lack of legal riding areas there from what I understand. The lifeguards launch their PWC's there pretty much every day though.

-Paul

PWCToday Newbie

Man, thanks! I read your stickies, but didn't pick up on that part of it.

So, how does it work? Don't go into detailed instructions (I can google that), but for my situation, I'm thinking unhook the trailer, winch it down until it's near the bottom of the ramp, then the rest of it. Am I far off on equipment needed?

I think the lifeguards have the benefit of a truck rather than a Miata, and more warm bodies available.

Also, any other alternatives nearby?

Thanks again,

Andy

Hi Andy,

If you're unsure about whether a Miata will be able to pull a trailer loaded with a PWC out of the water, then the "rope" trick should work. Back PWC to just before the slope of the ramp. Unhitch, put the front wheel jack on the trailer down, tie a long length of rope to the front of the trailer and your tow hitch. Drive the Miata forward until you have just a few feet of slack om tje rp[e, put in gear, engage parking brake. Walk back to the trailer and slowly roll it a few feet back so it's on the slope and pulling on the rope towards the water. Get back in car and use car to slowly back the pwc/trailer into the water. The rope should be long enough that your miata never leaves the flat part of the ramp. Unload pwc, use Miata to pull empty trailer out to the flat part of the loading drivel miata back to the ramp, hitch ramp, remove rope and park.

To get PWC, repeat the process outlined above, but loading the pwc up. It helps if your Miata has the LSD. I've owned a couple of miatas in the past and neither had the LSD so hopefully your PWC is light, and/or you've got a sticky rear tire on your right rear rim. For the first couple of times, you might want to have somebody standing by with another vehicle ready to help pull your miata up if you have traction issues. Let me know how it works out, I'm very interested in the results. I also assume no responsibility if things go bad.

-Paul

Thread Information