pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

717 crank removal & fuel air separator questions?

Is there a trick to removing the crankshaft from the bottom half of the crankcase when it will no just life out?

Bill, do you recommend using fuel air separators in a stock spec HX and a stock spec SXR that are primarily used for closed course racing? If so, I would like to purchase them from your shop if you sell them?

Brent

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mr. Bill's Avatar

Re: 717 crank removal & fuel air separator questions?

Brent, Are you sure that a stock spec class allows aftermarket fuel/air seperators?
    You have one allready, it is that white bowl hanging up under the deck. You could allways add a second oem air/fuel/water seperator after the first one.

If it is ok to add an aftermarket seperator, Harry Klemm has a decent one for about $100.00 or so that can handle up to limited class modified motors, so it should have no problem in a stock spec boat.

I use a big long screwdriver placed under one end of the crank. Find a suitable spot to put it under the crank where the shaft of the screwdriver can rest on the case. Place a rag or something on the case under the shaft to protect the case and push down on the screwdriver handle. That end of the crank will pop right up. That usually loosens the bearing up out of the case all the way back to the other end of the crank. If the other end is stuck, place something under the nearest bearing to the end that is stuck while holding the other end of the crank up out of the case, then with something under the bearing, push down on the end of the crank that is up. This will teeter todder the stuck end of the crank up and out of the case.
    Usually once you pop one end out, the other comes out easily. If not, you can just move your prying device to the other end of the crank and do like you did before.
    The important thing is to protect the case half mating surfaces from damages.

If you have both case halves stuck together, look at the side of the cases, there is always someplace to insert a flat pry tool, like a flat screwdriver, between two fins or two places in the castings to use as a pry spot. On the newer two stroke cases like the 947, I use my longest and widest flat screwdriver on one end of the case sides vertically because the only place to pry is about 1/2 in. apart between two protruding case pieces. My longest screwdriver is about 3 feet long. It is good for lots of things, like using it through the jetpump nozzel to lock up an impellor or rotate a motor that you cannot easily get to the PTO ( 1997 XP, XPL's ) At least you can tell quickley if the motor is frozen up with rust. Or placing into the ring gear teeth to rotate the crank when the mag cover is off. You can also do that to keep the crankshaft from rotating while you snug up a PTO or a flywheel nut. But you cannot use much force on the PTO like that or the screwdriver will just pop out. You must come up with a more rigid locking device like a semi soft block under the head and on top of the piston when assembling a motor. When taking one apart, you can jamb a wooden stick into the exhaust port to lock up a crankshaft. Helps when twisting off stuck PTO's.

Harbor frieght sells that long screwdriver for about $10.00.
    The only thing I have never used it for is unscrewing a screw !

PWCToday Regular

Re: 717 crank removal & fuel air separator questions?

Thank you very much Bill!

Thread Information