• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • echris5679
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jun 2009

submerged 98 gsx limited

I just had a new re-manufactured seadoo engine installed in my ski (2500 bucks), first time out it sank with-in 30 minutes and was under water for about one hour. I pulled the plugs the next morning and turned it over getting some water out and then I put it back on the trailer. The shaft seal which was fine with the previous engine failed and was the cause of the leak.I took it back to the guy that put the engine in 2 days later and he wants to charge me to de-submerge the ski. Should the shaft seal been done with the new engine,or was the guy too rough putting the new engine in and ruining the original seal ?
    What are the chances the ski will last ? Eric
  • SeaDooSource
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Sep 2006

Re: submerged 98 gsx limited

You need to get all the water out and run that ASAP. The longer that sets the worse it will get. Once the bearings start to rust that motor won't last long. Pull both plugs and with a rag over the cylinders and your hand under the rag, put your thumb over each plug hole while cranking. That will draw the water out of the crankcase. Once you've got most out, pour some gas/oil premix in the cyls, reinstall plugs and try starting with throttle wide open. You're going to have to go through that procedure several times until you get it to run and you're probably going to need to be charging the battery while doing that. Once running you need to ride it right away to get all the water out of the crankcase. Since the seal is bad that could be a problem. If it didn't leak though before the engine was replaced and it does now, I would have to guess the installer either didn't install the seal properly or damaged it. Ask them if they aligned the engine. If they didn't that could be the problem too. Whenever an engine is replaced that needs to be done and if it's out of alignment the seal can leak.
    Last edited by SeaDooSource; 05-11-2010, 10:31 PM.
    OSD JetPump Rebuild Service here
    Heavy Duty RFI & DI Rectifier Upgrade here

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mikuni carbs here
    Complete Single & Dual Carb Rebuild Kits with OEM Mikuni Parts here

Comment

• Ravex1049
      PWCToday Guru
      • Sep 2006

First of all, a good running GSX limited is only worth $2500 isn't it?
      Your first and huge mistake...you left your new motor sitting overnight with water in it...not good.
      It's probably possible he moved the driveshaft when removing the old engine and installing the new one. But I wouldn't think the seal is part of an engine replacement. Did you find out why the original engine failed??
      Your motor probably has a nice coating of rust inside if it still has moisture and water in it. What's the warranty on the motor?

Comment

• skuzzlebutt
        Resident Guru
        • Apr 2007

had my 96 on a mooring ball and the waves got big while i was gone. sank in about 3 ft of water. the hull was full the the top of the seat. went through a very similar procedure as SDS stated and was riding it in about 10 minutes no problems what so ever. except my back.... pulling a 400 lb ski filled with 300 lbs of water up on to a log by yourself (to get it at an angle to drain) is not an easy task by yourself.

Comment

• Ravex1049
          PWCToday Guru
          • Sep 2006

I had my HX get torn off it's hoist. Though there wasn't any water in the hull,I had no knowledge of what happened to it during the night.
          I had it running right away when I found it. Just can't leave it, have to get it running.

Comment

• skuzzlebutt
            Resident Guru
            • Apr 2007

when the motor is full of water its insane how much water shoots out of the holes on the first crank..... like little mini fire hoses. Easy to see why crank it with the plugs in can snap a rod.

Comment

• hardtarge
              I dream skis
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by echris5679 View Post
              I just had a new re-manufactured seadoo engine installed in my ski (2500 bucks), first time out it sank with-in 30 minutes and was under water for about one hour. I pulled the plugs the next morning and turned it over getting some water out and then I put it back on the trailer. The shaft seal which was fine with the previous engine failed and was the cause of the leak.I took it back to the guy that put the engine in 2 days later and he wants to charge me to de-submerge the ski. Should the shaft seal been done with the new engine,or was the guy too rough putting the new engine in and ruining the original seal ?
              What are the chances the ski will last ? Eric

Ok if you spent 2500 bucks this shouldn't have happend. I'm guessin this is their F*CK *P. They didn't make sure your carbon seal was installed correctly and in came the water. I'd be mad as hell and call them out on it.. . .IF you used a Credit Card put a claim in. If a check stop it. Get a lawyer if he doesn't want make right.
              yes i can be this dumb you've been warned

Comment

• lrutt
                PWCToday Regular
                • Jun 2009

A carbone seal can look just fine sitting on a stand and still leak. I'd not necessarily blame the mechanic for that one, unless he indeed did 'lake' test it.

Also, that machine would have the 787 with a balance shaft right? can you get all the water out of one of those OK? This whole balance shaft thing is confusing as my 96 GTX has one but it's all different from the later ones. Nothing I can even do to service it.

I would get that engine drained and I'd pump some oil down into the crankcase and turn it over to giver everything a very good coating before trying to run. It will smoke like a ***** and may foul a plug or 2 but at least it will be well lubed.

Comment

• echris5679
                  PWCToday Newbie
                  • Jun 2009

Has any body sank a ski and had it run for years after ?
                  I dumped 2500 into the ski becuase its in great shape and I was planning on keeping it for several more years. I am going to pick it up today,my mechanic is telling me the ski should be fine . He said a clip or o ring was missing at the sea and the carbon seal is ok.

Comment

• skuzzlebutt
                    Resident Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Yes it should be fine. It would have been better if you got all the water out within a few hours but you should be ok. When i sank mine i ran it balls out within 10-20 min after it sank and it ran for 2 more seasons before i sold it.

Comment

• KevinS
                      Top Dog
                      • Feb 2004

Has any body sank a ski and had it run for years after ?
                      I dumped 2500 into the ski becuase its in great shape and I was planning on keeping it for several more years. I am going to pick it up today,my mechanic is telling me the ski should be fine . He said a clip or o ring was missing at the sea and the carbon seal is ok.
                      I don't think it is possible to remove and replace the engine without disassembling this seal setup. If I am correct then he is at fault for the clip not being there or being installed incorrectly.

Comment

• skuzzlebutt
                        Resident Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Just remove the front motor mount and it slides forward and you can pull the motor right out. but then again if he was good he'd align it so either way.

Comment

• jeffz0rz
                          PWCToday Guru
                          • Oct 2007

I sank mine two years ago at the river. Left it tied up over night and the next morning all I had were jars sticking out of the water. Put it on the trailer, flipped it, drained it, fresh plugs and started first pop. Rode it like a mother f*cker for an hour. Still running on the same internals two years later. Even 145 compression on a motor thats never had the head off.

Comment

• skuzzlebutt
                            Resident Guru
                            • Apr 2007

i've always wondered if you were to submerge a boat or car motor if you can pull the plugs and change the oil if it would run? probably huh?
                            Last edited by skuzzlebutt; 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• SeaDooSource
                              PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by skuzzlebutt View Post
                              i've always wondered if you were to submerge a boat or car motor if you can pull the plugs and change the oil if it would run? probably huh?
                              That all depends on if it's salt or fresh water. I had a moron sink my Sea Rayder rental jetboat off Key West and that thing was never right after that. Constant problems with corrosion and electrical nighmares. Once salt gets on things, they usually don't last long after that. Especially if a boat is built a crappy as that Force powered Sea Rayder was!

My mechanic is telling me the ski should be fine . He said a clip or o ring was missing at the sea and the carbon seal is ok.
                              If that guy is any kind of mechanic, he should have aligned that engine after the install. The shaft has to come out for that so he left the clip out. Note you do need a clip too... not an o-ring to retain the ring. If you have any problems resulting from the sinking, it's the mechanic who should be held liable for that so ride it asap to make sure it's right. Also if he says he didn't align it, inquire as to why since that's a must when changing an engine.
                              Last edited by SeaDooSource; 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM.
                              OSD JetPump Rebuild Service here
                              Heavy Duty RFI & DI Rectifier Upgrade here

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mikuni carbs here
                              Complete Single & Dual Carb Rebuild Kits with OEM Mikuni Parts here

Comment

Working...
                              X