Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SXR Basic questions

The instruction manual says 60:1 pre mix but i have a wet pipe on it (otherwise everything else is stock) does this mix ratio still apply?

If i use 100 octane will it help in performance and longevity of the motor?

Thank you!!!

Re: SXR Basic questions

Put more oil in "er. Run it a minimum of 40-1 if not 32-1. The leaner you run your oil, the sooner you will be building that bad boy and just run super..

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

32:1 is a bit much oil you will be dripping goo out of your exhaust pipe after a season or two, 50:1 or 40:1 is more than fine. As far as the 100 octane it will not help with the longevity of the motor or performance based strictly on the octane rating. You do not need that high of ocatne fuel unless your compression and squish clearance require it, and on a piped stock motor it may actually slow you down. 91 octane is more than enough for a stock cylinder/stock head and compression ski, even with the timing advance jumper installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderthescoopgrate View Post
    Put more oil in "er. Run it a minimum of 40-1 if not 32-1. The leaner you run your oil, the sooner you will be building that bad boy and just run super..
    If you are running 32-1 and are having a problem with goo I would check the oil your are running and also run it more than 1/4 throttle and it will blow it out. I hate to throw names around but alot of guys run their two strokes 32:1. I guess the main thing is that you have oil in the damn thing and if you aren't running high compression, ya dont need anything more than super unleaded gas. Its a waste of money.

IMO if you have to "blow it out" then you are using too much oil, and I would think that at nearly double what the mfg suggests is too much.
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Dont argue with jonny.

Jonny knows best. Clearly the term Blowing it out is done when you start your motor and when you run your boat wide open. The longevity of your motor will in fact be better at a higher ratio. In fact if you remember back in the day HONDA recommended running their dirt bikes at 20:1. This is not logical but it was suggested. 32:1 is not going to harm your boat. It will make your boat last longer. My personal preference is 40:1. The difference between the two is minimal. If a guy has to ask how much oil to run in his ski we have problems, I would just simply say "MAKE SURE THERE IS OIL IN IT" Don't run a transparent earl, earl.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Maulin Marto's Avatar

I'm pretty much a 40:1 guy 24/7...32:1 for break-ins. Works for me.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Longevity of the motor will be higher at a higher ratio? Dang, ima start putting the whole bottle in every tank.

Frank, two bottles per tank will be twice as good! LOL

But seriously, go with what you know. Everyone has opinions on how much oil, what kind of oil, etc. Personally I use the cheapest TCW-3 rated oil at 50:1, even in my race skis (I was at 40:1 about 6 years ago). In all the years I have been doing this I have never had an oil related failure. When I tear down, everything has a nice coat of oil and its all very clean, so I must be doing something right
    So if you wanna use the most expensive oil you can find at 10:1 and it makes you sleep well at night, I say go for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information