Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

Has anyone converted a utility trailer into a ski trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txmxer
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jan 2010

Has anyone converted a utility trailer into a ski trailer?

Alright guys Ive been considering getting maybe a 5x8? and possibly putting enough bunks to fit two stand ups. I realize Id have to get submergeable lights and stuff. Would this type of trailer rust easier or what? Is it big enough to fit a 750 and a superjet? The reason im considering doing this is because 5x8's go for pretty cheap, and I could use it to haul dirtbikes and other stuff too and not only be limited to jetskis. If youve done this post pics.
  • bkoche
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jul 2009

Re: Has anyone converted a utility trailer into a ski trailer?

Thats what I use. Id never back it into the water though. Trailers for the water are all galvanized and are more corrosion resistant than the just painted utility ones
    2004 SXR - FPP Wetpipe, Blowsion railcaps, 4deg bars, billet clamps
    1994 750sx - Loaded -FOR SALE
    1983 JS550 - WC RC520 reed cylinder, WC Head, PJS WB, Dual 38SBNs, WC 750 reed stuffers, WC Stacks, WC 6.5gal tank, FPP Halfpipe, SBT High torque starter, 16.5 Skat, Blueprinted 440 pump, lightened driveshaft, 76mm OP nozzle, Jetsport bulkhead brace, 90wt mod, WC scoop, Rend plate, Rear exhaust, Carbon Fiber

1991 Honda CB750
    1976 Suzuki RE5A
    1976 Suzuki GT750A
    1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• txmxer
      PWCToday Regular
      • Jan 2010

How do you keep them tied down? Just using tie downs or ratchets??? Maybe I can use the trailer to get them there then use a beach cart to get them into the water or something.

Comment

• bkoche
        • Jul 2009

Ratchets. The deck has plywood over it which I screwed 2x4s to to keep it aligned side to side. I do the same thing to make a groove for my motorcycle tires when I use it for the bikes. Next upgrade is going to be making a form fitting cradle for the ski using the "Great Stuff" chair concept
        1983 JS550 - WC RC520 reed cylinder, WC Head, PJS WB, Dual 38SBNs, WC 750 reed stuffers, WC Stacks, WC 6.5gal tank, FPP Halfpipe, SBT High torque starter, 16.5 Skat, Blueprinted 440 pump, lightened driveshaft, 76mm OP nozzle, Jetsport bulkhead brace, 90wt mod, WC scoop, Rend plate, Rear exhaust, Carbon Fiber

1991 Honda CB750
        1976 Suzuki RE5A
        1976 Suzuki GT750A
        1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• txmxer
          PWCToday Regular
          • Jan 2010

Maybe ill do that, and add a chock or two for the bikes. Seems like pwc trailers are rediculously over priced and regular utility trailers are pretty cheap.

Comment

• bkoche
            • Jul 2009

ya its not bad when you have stand ups that 2 people can carry down the ramp. your in a bit more trouble if you have a 900Lb couch

1991 Honda CB750
            1976 Suzuki RE5A
            1976 Suzuki GT750A
            1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• txmxer
              PWCToday Regular
              • Jan 2010

Yeah but idk I dont want to have to be dependant on someone else to help me carry if their not strong enough or something. Ive been looking for another ski with a trailer...found a superjet (squarenose) and a trailer asked the guy how much and he said 2400!?!?!?! I was shocked.

edit: heaviest itll be is a kawi 750sxi
              Last edited by txmxer; 04-12-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• bkoche
                • Jul 2009

Ya, the first time I took my 550 out my gf slipped on the ramp and dropped it on her ankle. I cant afford a real ski trailer

1991 Honda CB750
                1976 Suzuki RE5A
                1976 Suzuki GT750A
                1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• PrickofMisery
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by txmxer View Post
                  Maybe ill do that, and add a chock or two for the bikes. Seems like pwc trailers are rediculously over priced and regular utility trailers are pretty cheap.
                  I have 2 double stand up trailers I want to sell. $300 for one, its in good shape and will need the second set of bunk installed. The brakets/harware is all there. All you need is 2 2x4s and some carpet, The other is $450 and in great condition with new paint and lights for the other. Where are you located?

Comment

• bkoche
                    • Jul 2009

Too bad were as far away as possible from each other or I would take the $300 trailer

1991 Honda CB750
                    1976 Suzuki RE5A
                    1976 Suzuki GT750A
                    1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• PrickofMisery
                      • Mar 2007

Do you know where the OP is in Cali?

Comment

• bkoche
                        • Jul 2009

No, sorry

1991 Honda CB750
                        1976 Suzuki RE5A
                        1976 Suzuki GT750A
                        1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

• txmxer
                          PWCToday Regular
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by PrickofMisery View Post
                          I have 2 double stand up trailers I want to sell. $300 for one, its in good shape and will need the second set of bunk installed. The brakets/harware is all there. All you need is 2 2x4s and some carpet, The other is $450 and in great condition with new paint and lights for the other. Where are you located?
                          Id be pretty interested, mostly in the $450 one. If you have pics of both id love to see them.

Comment

• PrickofMisery
                            • Mar 2007

Here is the nice Long Run @ $450.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• bkoche
                              • Jul 2009

Thats a steal. I bet that box protects the skis nicely too

1991 Honda CB750
                              1976 Suzuki RE5A
                              1976 Suzuki GT750A
                              1975 Suzuki GT550M

Comment

Working...
                              X