Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

vx 110 and air filter

i just bought 2 used 2009 vx 110 with only 34 hours on them, pristine condition fresh water use and the owner said he put R&D performance air filter on one of them so the ski is going faster.....
    and after reading a lot about performance filters and direct intake on jetskis,i wanted to make my own opinion.
    back home i put the "fastest"ski in the water , installed my little hand held garmin gps 76c to check the maximum speed.
    full tank of gas, myself 190lbs, glass water , no wind at all, maximum speed at the speedo 53 - 54 mph peak , maxi speed at the gps : 51.5mph, ok great
    opened the air box, removed the "high performance " air filter, installed the stock "low performance" air filter from the other ski, and tried again.
    guess what: maximum speed at the gps : 51.5mph.
    back to shore and i removed the filter again and i decided to try with no filter at all.
    maximum speed at the gps, again 51.5mph
    back to shore, removed completly the air box and ran with just the hose from the butterfly to the air box. nice "rooaarr" sound making me felling the "monster power",
    maximum speed again 51.5mph.
    each pass have been made 10- 15 mn apart, just the time to swap filters with no change in water or wind condition and i honestly never felt any difference in torque or power difference.
    now i get my own opinion on high flow air filters, i will never waist money on those...
    and after seeing the very tight mesh screen located just behind the butterfly (flame arestor i guess) i doubt different air filter will make flow improvement unless you remove that screen ????
    however i am sure high flow air filters can make difference as a package , combined with others mods like ship, camshaft...
    i tried the same on cars years ago when the first k&n air filters came out on the market with not much success beside "intake sound"
    i think if i try with with less gas in the tank and me on diet, i can gain maybe a couple of mph....
    frenchy
    Last edited by cyrillefrenchy; 03-08-2010 at 10:06 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: vx 110 and air filter

Hey Frenchy - great post. with that mesh screen, I'm suprised that the engines get enough air to run. Makes me think that if you were able to get it more air that it would run on the lean side. Although I've seen post that argue against that idea. What do you think?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

I told you guys before....."Take the air filter out & throw it in the garbage"

PWCToday Newbie

Take the air filter out & throw it in the garbage

The flame arrestor is the bottleneck. Nothing upstream of that arrestor will improve performance.
    Nevertheless, why throw the filter in the garbage if removing it doesn't alter performance? There may not a lot of dust on the water but there's spray and blown sand.

Quote Originally Posted by sltjski View Post
    Hey Frenchy - great post. with that mesh screen, I'm suprised that the engines get enough air to run. Makes me think that if you were able to get it more air that it would run on the lean side. Although I've seen post that argue against that idea. What do you think?
    i think this engine is fuel injected, if you remove the mesh in the intake, more air will go in because of less restriction, and the air intake pressure sensor (map sensor?) located on the air intake will compensate that by making the fuel injection/ mixture richer....????
    i won't do it, i use my skis for rental riding on L.mode , no need for more power.
    we should ask this question on green hulk forum maybe????
    Water works was right , he told us many times, throw the filter in the garbage if contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Take the air filter out & throw it in the garbage

The flame arrestor is the bottleneck. Nothing upstream of that arrestor will improve performance.
    Nevertheless, why throw the filter in the garbage if removing it doesn't alter performance? There may not a lot of dust on the water but there's spray and blown sand.

2 of my vxs just pass the 1000 hours, did a big tune up, checked the air filters, still clean , looking like almost new ( never replaced them since new).
    i heared also : "the air filter will block water" so i tried to fill 1 side of the air filter with water, holding the filter horizontal. first the water did not go thru maybe because the element was a little oily but as soon as it was soaked-saturated, the water went right thru.
    now i really get my opinion on air filters...

PWCToday Regular

Admitedly the Ski I have is my first but i Have been inside many boats (mostly Sail) not many of those have anything but the flame arrestor. So the throw the Air filter in the tash doesn't sound like a half bad idea, but if it doenst affect performance what's it hurt?
    ~~~ Someone is always listening, whether or not you want them to. ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    i just bought 2 used 2009 vx 110 with only 34 hours on them, pristine condition fresh water use and the owner said he put R&D performance air filter on one of them so the ski is going faster.....
    and after reading a lot about performance filters and direct intake on jetskis,i wanted to make my own opinion.
    back home i put the "fastest"ski in the water , installed my little hand held garmin gps 76c to check the maximum speed.
    full tank of gas, myself 190lbs, glass water , no wind at all, maximum speed at the speedo 53 - 54 mph peak , maxi speed at the gps : 51.5mph, ok great
    opened the air box, removed the "high performance " air filter, installed the stock "low performance" air filter from the other ski, and tried again.
    guess what: maximum speed at the gps : 51.5mph.
    back to shore and i removed the filter again and i decided to try with no filter at all.
    maximum speed at the gps, again 51.5mph
    back to shore, removed completly the air box and ran with just the hose from the butterfly to the air box. nice "rooaarr" sound making me felling the "monster power",
    maximum speed again 51.5mph.
    each pass have been made 10- 15 mn apart, just the time to swap filters with no change in water or wind condition and i honestly never felt any difference in torque or power difference.
    now i get my own opinion on high flow air filters, i will never waist money on those...
    and after seeing the very tight mesh screen located just behind the butterfly (flame arestor i guess) i doubt different air filter will make flow improvement unless you remove that screen ????
    however i am sure high flow air filters can make difference as a package , combined with others mods like ship, camshaft...
    i tried the same on cars years ago when the first k&n air filters came out on the market with not much success beside "intake sound"
    i think if i try with with less gas in the tank and me on diet, i can gain maybe a couple of mph....
    frenchy
    You might be on the rev limiter, so taking the filter off doesn't offer any gains. Best way to compare apples to apples is to back to back testing in the hot summer and with a tach.

Did the accel feel any snappier?
    Black FZS - Stock

no ,the ski was not on the rev limiter, you never feel the rev limiter on a vx even when you jump the waves like crazy,it will throttle down quickly.
    you can only feel the limiter if you throttle up with the ski not in the water and the limiter is way over 8000 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    no ,the ski was not on the rev limiter, you never feel the rev limiter on a vx even when you jump the waves like crazy,it will throttle down quickly.
    you can only feel the limiter if you throttle up with the ski not in the water and the limiter is way over 8000 rpms.
    I'm not to familiar with this ski as I jumped ship to the SHO when I started sinking $$$ into it and wasn't seeing any returns in performance. The flame arrestor is news to me though.

But it does sound like from what you're saying it has the preemptive RPM cut like the SHO does:

Post #17 http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ht=soft&page=2

One thing that is hard to account for though is how it affected your accel times. It could be snapping up to the top RPM range much quicker or even be giving you and extra 50 or so RPMs during holeshots, where before those 50 RPMs were coming out only on top end.
    Black FZS - Stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information