Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

Re: vx 110 and air filter

(One thing that is hard to account for though is how it affected your accel times. It could be snapping up to the top RPM range much quicker or even be giving you and extra 50 or so RPMs during holeshots, where before those 50 RPMs were coming out only on top end. )

yes i agree with you, the ski may have more power on the low end, but i did not have this feeling at all.
    i tried to measure the acceleration with a portable dyno application on iphone called dynopocket but it id not work at all, giving me measures way off probabilly because of the bumps getting off the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    (One thing that is hard to account for though is how it affected your accel times. It could be snapping up to the top RPM range much quicker or even be giving you and extra 50 or so RPMs during holeshots, where before those 50 RPMs were coming out only on top end. )

yes i agree with you, the ski may have more power on the low end, but i did not have this feeling at all.
    i tried to measure the acceleration with a portable dyno application on iphone called dynopocket but it id not work at all, giving me measures way off probabilly because of the bumps getting off the hole.
    I had the same problem with the "g-tac" app (which was free thank God). The accelerometer in the phone was so sensitive that the tiniest movement would set it off. There wasn't a way I could find to adjust it
    Black FZS - Stock

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for doing this study. The next thing would be to do the exhaust mod and repeat test.

I've been undecided on what to do about this. One other factor to be considered, Looks. It looks very cool to take the seat off and see a K&N style or it think, the Riva extended tube cold air design.

Since it appears as actual performance gains are minimal, this and sound appear to the driving factor. My OEM filter is totally clean and has 88 hours. I may run it part of this season, the ridiculous Yamaha replacement element cost makes it a simplier decision
    2001 XL800 (traded for)

2007 VX Cruiser
    "Jackal" FF exhaust
    Removed rubber curtains and exhaust flange fingers
    R&D Pump Seal

"TVA they had a way to clear 'em out real fast, lots of men and machinery built a dam and drowned the rest"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

you can try to do the test yourself, it is free and you can make your own opinion.
    ride with the stock yamaha filter, take it off and try again, try also with no air box, just the intake hose and you will see.
    you should start with the tank full of gas and do the mods one after another quickly to make sure you have the same weather , water and weight conditions.
    you can do the same with the exhaust, it is not very expensive.
    let us know the result.

I dream skis

This is an awesome experiment. I love raw data experiments like this. Very telling !

Thanks for the effort to do this and more important to post it, and share the info !
    2005 Yamaha VX110 Sport w/reverse and mods
    2001 Polaris SLH 701cc stock
    1998 Kawasaki 750 SXi Pro stock and very clean

has anyone done this with a free flow exhaust kit? i was wondering if they are actually worth getting for performance or if i should just save my money and get a new prop?
    My skis:
    89 650sx- aftermarket bars, turn plate, ride plate, grate, ported cylinders, cheap pipe pisser mod, prop
    96 seadoo spx- intake grate, bars
    07 waverunner vx110- deluxe free flow exhaust, cold air intake, homosexual water spout removed- if anyone knows any other mods for this slow piece of $*&t tell me!
    dont say it im getting a superjet next

you know, the VX line is not going to gain much on mods no matter what you do. you could spend hundreds and might flank another 2 mph out of it and 1% holeshot at best(and if your darn lucky). and to be honest with you (on teh vx's) what good is several hundred dollars to go from 52 mph to 53.5 or 54. you wont notice it and its still not racing material and should not be. as bp said, he jumped ship to the sho, get into the HO,SHO,FZ line and you can make a difference, but it cost to do it... the VX line is pretty much ,fun,enjoy,long range cruising while sipping gas. and that is it. save your money and spend it on things like a custom seat cover, changing oil every 30 hours instead of 100, maybe synthetic oil, somehing you will enjoy and have a gain from.
    (David)

How to winterize/summerize a Yamaha 4 stroke.
    Read post #37
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f125/tips-th...ha-249071.html

PWCToday Regular

You guys are way to funny...Sorry I had to chime in, I used to the same attitude but I wanted to say the best thing to get for the VX is the air filter, solas prop and the intake grate with pump seal. When all three items are installed together they change the feel completley for this boat. No it's not going to break 60 but feels alot lighter and more playfull. Much more fun.

The air filter mod only works for about a second before the ecm shuts down the throttle body opening to the default air intake flow. But that one second allows the machine wind up that much quicker with higher rpm's, to jump out the hole. The taller pitch on the solas needs that quick rpm at take off. It's really sluggish when just throw it on a stock Vx (ask me how i know).

The intake grate/pump seal kit is a real big changing mod not only for the stock but most definately for the air/impeller combo. Takes the cavitation right out from the solas and really takes an advantage of the brief rpm bump from the air mod to jump out of corners and stand stills.

In choppy conditions this is where really notice a difference, stock it falls flat on it's face, with the combo, it really handles things so much better.

I rode the this thing for three years with the solas prop before I broke down to get the other items. Wish I did it sooner.

Did you guys see the Yamaha 2011VXR??!!

PWCToday Newbie

I see where Grumpy Old Guy is advocating removal of the air filter... is there a downside to doing this? A new air filter is absurdly expensive, so from a cost standpoint it is very attractive.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Jet skis dont drive in dust & sand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information