• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dapal79
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jan 2010

2000 Ultra 150

Last August I picked up a 2000 ultra 150 with 27 hours for $500.00. Evidently the seller's son ran it not realizing there was a leak in the exhaust system ( I only figured that out when i got it running). Anyhow he left saltwater in the motor for about 2 months to later find out that the engine was seized, and the carbs were also seized. That’s why i got it so cheap. I was able to break that motor free and repair the carbs. Ski now has nearly 50 hours on it. I only have two issues now, first if i go from idle straight to full throttle it will hesitate and take about half a second to respond. It never cuts off just kind of bogs then goes. Second, sometimes it's hard to restart on the water after it has been off for a bit. To get it started I full choke then when I hear motor turning on I quickly turn the choke off. I did manage to bend one of the butterflies slightly when trying to free up the carbs. I'm replacing the oil lines this weekend so I’d like to try and see if I can fix this while I’m in there. Any advice?
  • BigL350
    PWCToday Regular
    • Dec 2006

Re: 2000 Ultra 150

The off idle hesitation may be the waterbox filling up at idle. Try blowing it out with a couple of quick blips of the throttle, then take off and if it goes away, that's probably it. As far as having to choke it if it sits for a while, my STX-R always did that and I've heard from others that it's fairly typical. No idea if it happened when they were new though.
    2006 STX-15F- RIVA exhaust, homemade intake, zx12 cams, R&D powershot, Shredmaster rideplate, Riva Sponsons, pump wedge, Skat-Trak 12 vane set-back, UMI steering, STXR hood and seat with Jetrim cover.

1987 X-2 1100 build in progress

Comment

• DarnIce
      PWCToday Guru
      • Mar 2003

Has nothing to do with water in the waterbox. My Ultra does not "bog" and the exhaust is stock.

Sounds like carb issues to be honest. A bent butterfly, even a little bit is bad news. The carbs MUST be in perfect sync. A bent butterfly makes that impossible.
      Did you make sure the carbs were working ok? They are CV carbs and the slider must work perfect.
      Is it using the stock air box? A MUST again unless the carbs are modified to fun flame arrestors.
      I would look at getting the carbs completly done.

Properly set up and working correctly, a cold Ultra, with choke will start withing 10 seconds. A warmed up one (thats run during that day) will start instantly.(with no choke)
      The starting issues and bog both point to the carbs.

Do you have a service manual?

You may want to look around E-bay for a set of carbs or contact Steve at Skiworks

Comment

• phideux1
        PWCToday Guru
        • Apr 2008

My 99 Ultra had that little hesitation when you hit the gas, and was also getting finicky on starting. It was the fuel pump. Had a bunch of crud in it, and a little "wrinkle" in the diaphragm. Cleaned that up and she runs and starts great.
        99 Ultra 150
        2000 Ultra 150

Comment

• Dapal79
          PWCToday Regular
          • Jan 2010

I'll be working on the ski tomorrow I’ll look thru the carbs. Any ideas on how to straighten the butterfly? Is taking the fuel pump apart ok? The manual I have said not to take it apart?

Comment

• Dapal79
            PWCToday Regular
            • Jan 2010

Is there a rebuild kit available for the fuel pump?
            Ultra 150 is all stock.

Comment

• phideux1
              PWCToday Guru
              • Apr 2008

There's not much to the fuel pump, and they're easy to rebuild. The hard part is finding the new parts for them. They would rather sell you a $100.00 fuel pump over a $5.00 gasket/diaphragm. I used to have a source for them, I'll try to locate them again. Did you bend a choke butterfly, or the throttle one??? Put it in a vise and bend it back??????? Definitely change out the oil lines, get some of the Tygon line. It's the best.
              99 Ultra 150
              2000 Ultra 150

Comment

• Dapal79
                PWCToday Regular
                • Jan 2010

the throttle one, the vise is what i was thinking on doing. If you could get me in touch with your source for parts that would be great.

Comment

• btldigger
                  PWCToday Guru
                  • Nov 2007

When you say it hesitates does it rev up and not take off? Or does the motor just not run?

You may need a security torx bit to get the fuel pump apart. Make sure the vacume slides are moving freely and evenly.
                  2004 ultra 150 71.3 @ mudbug IV 75.5 now
                  http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/364
                  2000 ultra 150 work in progress 68.5 hunting 70
                  http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2924
                  1998 stx 1100
                  1988 650sx
                  Ultra 150 Mods
                  http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2494

Comment

• Dapal79
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Jan 2010

the motor just doesn't run. Out of the hole it's silent for about half a second then the motor goes.

Comment

• ryanmack12000
                      I dream skis
                      • Jul 2009

Did you get the hesitation fixed? I have a similar issue. Mine acts like it runs out of fuel, idles maybe die, choke it and it fires up and then runs like a scalded cat. It does this intermittently. If I run it easy it has no problem. If I get aggressive it may or may not bog out and die sometime sit just bogs for a few seconds and then comes back to life.

Comment

• Dapal79
                        PWCToday Regular
                        • Jan 2010

Not sure. I have not had a chance to water test yet. I’m pretty sure my problem is in the carbs or fuel pump. I took the fuel pump apart but since replacement parts are not available all i could do is clean it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X