Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1997 yamaha GP1200 questions

Hey everyone. I am looking at a 1997 GP1200 ski. Can any of you guys give me any info on this ski? What should I look for, what should I ask the owner? Are these a good solid ski? It has 100 hours on it. Any common issues with these??
    Thanks in advance!!

Re: 1997 yamaha GP1200 questions

pretty good reliable ski's when taken care of, the fuel pumps need to be rebuilt often on them. make sure the pump liner is good, must be a fresh water boat, so it should be fine.. i'd say dont buy any ski b4 you ride it, but not sure thats an option in MI right now..
    BRADENTON POWERSPORTS
    Bradenton, fl 34203
    941-752-3278
    Full service watercraft, ATV, and motorcycle repair, parts, and accessories...
    10% off wsm, pro-x and wiseco pistons and crankshafts, PM me for other discounts for pwctoday members..
    1998 expert sport national #3
    1998 expert 1200 ss national #3
    1998 world finals 1200 ss cc #5
    1999 world finals pro 1200 ss #12
    2007 world finals pro 800 ss #11

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by faster7581 View Post
    pretty good reliable ski's when taken care of, the fuel pumps need to be rebuilt often on them. make sure the pump liner is good, must be a fresh water boat, so it should be fine.. i'd say dont buy any ski b4 you ride it, but not sure thats an option in MI right now..
    Yeah, its a fresh water boat. How do you check the pump liner? Do you have to take the pump apart?
    Yeah, hard to do a water test this time of year, not much open water!! I am deffanitly going to do a compression test and run the ski on the trailer.
    Thanks for the info!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

carbs carbs carbs ,,, I say that because there is 3 lol and if 1 gets iffy you have $$ issues keep the carbs cleaned and inspected and you will be happy .. oh and consider premix
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

I will second Zmanns opinion. Carbs will be the killer of that ski. Overall the 1200's are pretty reliable...but you get one nasty carb or one broken/clogged oil line and that motor is history.

I have three 1200 motors sitting in storage right now that are trashed...out of the three I have one usable set of cases and no cylinder blocks. The killer on all three was that they ran lean due to clogged carb.

Convert to Premix and run clean carbs and the ski will last a long time.

Also, if you don't have a compression gauge please go and buy one. On a triple cylinder motor you will usually be looking at around 115-120 psi per cylinder. A compression gauge simply screws in the same hole that a spark plug does and when you crank the motor over it tells you how much pressure was built up in the combustion chamber....if you have bad rings/scarred up walls the cylinder will read lower compression and will be a warning that the motor has issues.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider05 View Post
    I will second Zmanns opinion. Carbs will be the killer of that ski. Overall the 1200's are pretty reliable...but you get one nasty carb or one broken/clogged oil line and that motor is history.

I have three 1200 motors sitting in storage right now that are trashed...out of the three I have one usable set of cases and no cylinder blocks. The killer on all three was that they ran lean due to clogged carb.

Convert to Premix and run clean carbs and the ski will last a long time.

Also, if you don't have a compression gauge please go and buy one. On a triple cylinder motor you will usually be looking at around 115-120 psi per cylinder. A compression gauge simply screws in the same hole that a spark plug does and when you crank the motor over it tells you how much pressure was built up in the combustion chamber....if you have bad rings/scarred up walls the cylinder will read lower compression and will be a warning that the motor has issues.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was already thinking of running premix as added security. I was planning on getting a compression gauge and testing the skis I look at before I buy. Where is the best place to get a decent gauage?? Ive seen some online for $20 and some for $100

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rb8484 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I was already thinking of running premix as added security. I was planning on getting a compression gauge and testing the skis I look at before I buy. Where is the best place to get a decent gauage?? Ive seen some online for $20 and some for $100

Some people will say "Only buy a Snapon gauge"..which you will be looking at a pretty pricey gauge.

Others like me will tell you to go to autozone and buy one of their $30-40 gauges. You may not get a 100% accurate reading however it will be just fine for how you want to use it. Even if it doesn't read 100% dead on, it won't vary on its level of accuracy between the cylinders. If its 5% off on one cylinder, its going to read the same for the next cylinder..it won't just all the sudden be 100% accurate. I lucked out and my cheap gauge is nearly dead on..or at least within 3 psi of a Snap On gauge.

The problem with buying expensive gauges is that the first time you get a motor that has oil in it from the previous owner winterizing it and pouring 2 stroke down the cylinders, you will screw your gauge up. Or if you by chance have a motor that has moisture in it and that gets in your gauge, you will get some crazy readings.

Once you get moisture in your gauge its pretty well shot. I personally would rather replace a $30 gauge once a year rather than replacing a $100 gauge once a year.

Hope that ramble made sense...Im in a bit of a hurry.

PS- Also make sure the battery is fully charged when you talk to the guy. There are many people who let their batteries sit all winter long without charging and they will be shot by the time you go to use the ski.

What I do just in case is take a spare battery along and tools to change it out. At the very least take a good set of jumper cables and you can connect your battery from your truck to the ski...just MAKE SURE the vehicle is turned OFF when you basically jump the ski.

Also remember that you will need to take a spark plug socket and a ratchet with you to do the test.
    Last edited by nightrider05; 01-21-2010 at 03:34 PM.

depends on how much you use one even the harbor freight one will tell you if you have a big difference between cylinders ,, and that is important

Just a Reminder , Be sure you check the length of the spark plug ,and use the same length adapter (or no adapter) On the tester ,It cannot be longer than the plug!! or could hit piston,
    98 Yamaha GP 760 (Newest)
    98 Tigershark 770TSL(sold)
    96 Montego DLX 640 (sold)
    33' Chriss Craft Catilina

that could suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information