Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Advice for title of jet ski

Hi, I am new to the forum but wanted to join to get some help on my situation. I fist saw posts about untitled jetski's on this forum and figured it's a good place to get some help. First I was given a 1994 Mastercraft wetjet duo 200 from my wifes uncle. It works pretty good, used it over the summer here in Michigan. The only thing is it stalls out randomly. After he dropped it off at my house I looked it over and saw a few problem areas that need to be fixed, very corroded electrical wires, water filled in the main computer compartment and probably clean the carb. But all that is for when it gets warm out and if I can get the title.

So my wifes uncle bought this off of a guy he knows, jetski and trailer, without a title. The guy told him it's not stolen just has been bought and sold without the title, it also had a current registration sticker. He checked it out just to be sure and came back not to be stolen. Her uncle did pay someone to find out why it was stalling so much but the guy said he couldn't figure it out. Fed up with the ski, he just bought a new 3 seater. I got it because he was thinking of dropping the wetjet off on the side of the road because he paid 500 for it and didn't have the title. So I told him I would take it and try to figure it out and I could re-title it at the Secretary of State. As far as i know her uncle got it from a guy who got it possibly from the title holder but not too sure about it.

I just went to the S.O.S. to get a new title and I was hassled about it a little but they sent off the form with all the info to get it checked. Came back not stolen as I already knew and as I though it was going to work, the lady see a lien on the jetski. The first lady the helped me get the request sent out said that wasn't there when she looked at it but the 2nd lady doing they next step said it somehow appeared on there. It sounded like an old lien because she made a comment about they used to get void it out if it's over 10 years old. She said the only thing I can do now it fill out a records lookup request and get the title holder's name and the bank with the lien and I need to get a statement or something saying the lien is paid. Not too sure the exact names of the documents. Basically I have to prove the lien is gone I guess before the title it in my name.

So this is where I am looking for advice on what to do. I'm going to send the lookup request but don't know what to do after I get the name of the title owner and bank. I would really like to get this in my name but if I can't I guess I'm not out anything. Any Ideas?

Thanks

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: Advice for title of jet ski

The bank will send you a letter stating that the lien has been released (probably like you said that it was 10 or more years old) The Title request paperwork will come to you and you will have to get it signed by the original holder of the title, take it to the SOS and they will issue a title in your name. Don't forget to take the MC numbers with you or you'll have to get new ones of those and I don't think that there is a cost it just makes more paperwork (I have just taken in a picture of the ski so you can see the #'s)

PWCToday Newbie

Ok cool, that doesn't sound too bad. So I mail or try to meet the original title holder for their signature? The SOS I went to was telling me how illegal it is to buy and sell without a title and made it seem like I can't do it, that was the first lady I dealt with. But when I went back they said what you're saying about a release of lien. Hope it goes that smooth. Thanks BLRider

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

It really is a simple process, lengthy, but simple. I would make the effort to meet with the previous title holder just to make it quicker and so it is done (unless he lives in Ironwood and you are in Monroe (that's like a 13 hour drive!?).

PWCToday Newbie

The guy her uncle got it from is in gladwin where they both have a place at sugar springs, i'm hoping at the most it's been passed around there. But were all from the SE Mi area, it would be cool it the title is in the area here too.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home The Greygoose's Avatar

Welcome!

PWCToday Regular

Go to Broadwaytitle.com I had a superjet given to me withou title, 175.00 and a couple of weeks later I recieved it in the mail from Broadway. Super simple, no headaches.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

If all else fails, put a lien on it yourself. You could do something along the lines of stating that a renter left it behind, also without paying you the last two months rent and that are trying to recoup some of your loss. 60-90 days later it is yours.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for more ideas, I sent the title look up out a few days ago and hope to get it done that way. My wife asked her uncle about it again and the situation is that he got it from a friend of his. That friend got it by just seeing a for sale sign, stopped in at the house, paid cash, the seller said he would mail the title to him but never did. So no way of tracking down the title holder through them because he doesn't even know the people he got it from. So I just have to wait to hear back on the look-up and hopefully i can get a signature from the title owner.

The Broadwaytitle.com could be a good idea too if it's a for sure thing. I could see as I only paid 175 for a jetski and trailer. Wifes uncle talked his friend down to from 800-900 to 500 and he bought it for 1800 a few years ago. So would be a deal for me. Its in great condition for a 94, other than the stalling here and there, it ran pretty great.
    Last edited by waitinggame; 01-24-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

PWCToday Newbie

Ok so today I got the look-up request form back. It's a little different than I thought. The only thing it tells is the name and address of the title owner and the name and address of the bank. I'm guessing that's all it would say. So now do I contact the bank for a release of lien? I looked up the back, all the way on the other side of the state and looks like it's not the same bank name anymore. Or should I try to contact the title holder first and see if she has the title still? Just looking for the best way to do this. I'm not sure but by the bank name it has the date of 7/5/1994, could that be the date of the loan taken out on this?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information