pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 GP760 Is this a powervalve engine What are they!

I have been hearing about powervalve engines,and their problems! Is 760 one!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 98 GP760 Is this a powervalve engine What are they!

No it is not a powervalve engine,be glad it is not!
    Helping the PWCT community with service related issues since 2006, what have you done for PWCT lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeloon View Post
    I like when pole say there done and have the urge to come back lol

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Maybe I am missing something...but whats so bad about the P/V motors?

Yes, they have some issues with the P/V's..but if you install wave eater clips and replace/maintain parts I haven't heard of many issues.

They are about the the same as all other skis..people don't maintain them and expect them to last forever

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

There were five revisions to the power valves on the Yamaha power valve engine,not one single recall.A power valve engine that has not been updated with new power valves and or waveeater clips can fail at any given time,if the design was so great and wonderful why did they stop making it?
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 12-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Helping the PWCT community with service related issues since 2006, what have you done for PWCT lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeloon View Post
    I like when pole say there done and have the urge to come back lol

That's why I asked ! I'm just learning about my GP760 It's dead winter here and I'm getting as much info.as possible.My TS is a simple desighn,that I know!!
    I heard about having to install waveater clips,That's why I asked If Mine was a powervalve.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

I do like the non pv motors myself ,, but if u own a PV motor and are pro active ,, you will be good to go !
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

I think the 800PV is one of the best powerplants, Yamaha or otherwise, as far as performance versus simplicity and weight, etc. Update the powervalves and keep an eye on the oil lines and its just as reliable as the older Yamaha twins. imho.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    There were five revisions to the power valves on the Yamaha power valve engine,not one single recall.A power valve engine that has not been updated with new power valves and or waveeater clips can fail at any given time,if the design was so great and wonderful why did they stop making it?
    Same reason every company stops making everything...newer and better stuff comes out. The market has shifted to 4 strokes for obvious reasons..you don't think Yamaha saw the shift coming?

Whats so hard about updating your powervalves and putting on Waveeater clips? Its just like an automobile..you have things you have to maintain or else shyt will break. If you don't change your oil regularly, your motor will fail prematurely.

Whats the maintenance interval on the powervalves? I know seadoo is every 50 hours...if you were to pull and inspect your powervalves every so often you would notice that there were issues with them. Most people on here buy skis that are cheap because they have issues...they have issues due to poor maintenance.

And to the Original Poster...sorry to threadjack. Your 760 motor is a great engine and you should have no problems out of it!
    Last edited by nightrider05; 12-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider05 View Post
    Same reason every company stops making everything...newer and better stuff comes out. The market has shifted to 4 strokes for obvious reasons..you don't think Yamaha saw the shift coming?

Whats so hard about updating your powervalves and putting on Waveeater clips? Its just like an automobile..you have things you have to maintain or else shyt will break. If you don't change your oil regularly, your motor will fail prematurely.

Whats the maintenance interval on the powervalves? I know seadoo is every 50 hours...if you were to pull and inspect your powervalves every so often you would notice that there were issues with them. Most people on here buy skis that are cheap because they have issues...they have issues due to poor maintenance.!
    Well replacing the pv clips and the failure prone oil line clamps isn't really maintanance ,, it was a poor design , and while it seems trivial for us to fix //
    how many owners do you think are even aware of these issues?
    ps yami still sells 2 strokes ,, they just got away from the pv
    Last edited by ZMANN; 12-30-2009 at 06:31 AM.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

I'm new to Yamaha's but not PWC's,What is a PV engine ?what's different? I see a seperate system for oil !! delivery?

Thank you "all" for all your input on my newest ski !!
    98 Yamaha GP 760 (Newest)
    98 Tigershark 770TSL(sold)
    96 Montego DLX 640 (sold)
    33' Chriss Craft Catilina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information