Problems with fuel or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with fuel or what?

I have a '99 Polaris SLH that i'm having problems with. Here's what it does.

I can unload it and it will start right up everytime. I can putt around on the lake at about 25mph and all is good. However, when i put the hammer down it will only run for about 8 seconds and then it dies. It doesn't slowly die, it just shuts off quick! It immediately starts back up. When you give it the gas, it always does this. And, after about 3 times of giving it the gas and it dying, it will not start at all. If you let it sit for about an hour it will then start back up again.

What could be the problem? Do you think it's not getting enough gas? It sounds as if it might be running out of gas? But why won't it start back up after the 3rd time or so?

It's got a brand new battery, the cylinders test perfect, and it has plenty of spart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• #2 Unapproved
    You probably have a colapsed gas line somewhere. The faster the gas goes through the line (like full speed) it creates suction and it will colapse weak parts of the gas line especially if it's bent somewhere. This is why it will run slow but when you give it throttle it dies. I had this problem on mine when I first got it. Check all your gas lines to see if it is kinked or bent tightly somewhere...a good place to check is by the fuel water collector as that is where mine occured. There are some small curved pieces of gas line in that area...good luck.

Comment

• #3 Unapproved
      Well it wasn't any gas or vaccum lines. I took every line off and tested them and none of them had any leaks. They aren't kinked either.

I did find something out though. When you empty the gas out of the fuel/water separator bulb, it never refills itself when you try to start it? This must be part of the problem? I took the line off of the fuel pump and turned the engine over and gas pumped out of it. This tells me that it's something inside the fuel pump?

Any ideas?

Comment

• #4 Unapproved
        Did you also check the gas pulse lines coming from the engine to the carbs? If there is an air leak or loose clamp it could account for the loss of pressure at higher speeds causing gas to stop flowing properly to the crabs. Check that and see if that gets the fuel water seperator to fill up. It could also be that your fuel sender/pump in the gas tank has gone bad, it's hard to tell which problem it is. You just have to eliminate one thing at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X