Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Battery Reconditioning!! It works!!

Check out this link. I have been doing this for a year now. I will get skis that people say "need new battery" I do this reconditioning and have yet had to buy a battery this year. There are a lot of these web sites on line and they are all similar. I have just seen a lot of posts on batteries and thought this might help some members and keep some money in there pockets.

http://ysuusy.com/Lead_Acid_Car_Battery_Repair.html

Re: Battery Reconditioning!! It works!!

Does that really work??? Epsom salts? That would have to be the best kept secret ever!

I've got some old batteries, I'll give it a go!

I swear I saw this posted somewhere here already , A good battery tender works well too over the winter
    I AM CANADIAN EH!!!

You can make something idiot proof then someone just makes a better idiot!!

PWCToday Regular

If you do a search it explains why epsom salt is the substance to use. Basically the acid in the battery cystalizes around the plates when the battery is not being kept charged slowing the acid flowing over the lead plates. The epsom salt breaksdown these crystals allowing the acid to flow again.

I have responded to someones post in the past and typed out the instructions. I didn't know how to attach a link so my buddy showed me how so I was actually able to attach this for everybody. The way I explained it is what I am understanding how it works in lame man terms. I am by know means an expert I just tried it and it worked. I am also with you on the battery tender. I only have to do this when I pick up a new ski and someone hasn't maintained the battery with a tender. I use to just go buy a battery at $50 a pop and I started doing this and have yet bought a batttery this year.

I've got several old lead-acid batteries sitting around. Time to try this one.
    1991 Yamaha Superjet 701 - The Standup
    1995 Yamaha WaveBlaster - The Couch
    2003 Subaru WRX - The Tow Rig/Rally Beater

I've done some stuff I'm not proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

I dream skis

let us know what the outcome is... I have a few dead jet ski batteries too
    2005 Yamaha VX110 Sport w/reverse and mods
    2001 Polaris SLH 701cc stock
    1998 Kawasaki 750 SXi Pro stock and very clean

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt_E's Avatar

I've posted this in your other, identical thread on battery reconditioning, too:

Since the 1950’s chemical additives have been used to reduce lead sulfate build up on plates and improve battery condition when added to the electrolyte of a vented lead-acid battery. Such treatments are rarely, if ever, effective.[11]

Two compounds used for such purposes are Epsom salts and EDTA. Epsom salts reduces the internal resistance in a weak or damaged battery and may allow a small amount of extended life. EDTA can be used to dissolve the sulfate deposits of heavily discharged plates. However, the dissolved material is then no longer available to participate in the normal charge/discharge cycle, so a battery temporarily revived with EDTA should not be expected to have normal life expectancy. Residual EDTA in the lead-acid cell forms organic acids which will accelerate corrosion of the lead plates and internal connectors.

Active material changes physical form during discharge, resulting in plate growth, distortion of the active material, and shedding of active material. Once the active material has fallen out of the plates, it cannot be restored into position by any chemical treatment. Similarly, internal physical problems such as cracked plates, corroded connectors, or damaged separators cannot be restored chemically.
    Last edited by Matt_E; 12-08-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

PWCToday Regular

I haven't seen the other thread I posted in the past. Thanks for posting that. I will have to see how long they last and how reliable they will be. But by the looks of your article the outcome doesn't look good. Thanks again for the heads up.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt_E's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kawyamjoe View Post
    I haven't seen the other thread I posted in the past. Thanks for posting that. I will have to see how long they last and how reliable they will be. But by the looks of your article the outcome doesn't look good. Thanks again for the heads up.
    What? You posted them one day apart, same topic.

http://www.pwctoday.com/f21/battery-...ks-257932.html
    If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home donwkk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_E View Post
    What? You posted them one day apart, same topic.

http://www.pwctoday.com/f21/battery-...ks-257932.html
    I think I read somewhere that frequent exposure to Epsom Salts can cause short term memory loss.
    Last edited by donwkk; 12-10-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information