Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I dream skis

What causes a knocking noise at idle on waverunner

My 00 yami makes this weird noise that I can only really hear when I lift up the seat and listen to the engine. It knocks about every .5 seconds and its a constant thing. When I get it on the water it runs perfect but I am hesitant about this and am going out in big winds tomorrow .
    Not sure if its coming from the pump area but I was thinking mounts or exhaust. The engine shakes a little because of it

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: What causes a knocking noise at idle on waverunner

Given your previous post's I would say its the motor,but cant tell thru the computer,take it too a knowledgeable tech.

How many hours on the ski ???

I dream skis

Theres 100 hours on the ski and 20 hours on the top end rebuild

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

I hate to ask... Who did the topend ??

I dream skis

The guy who had the ski before me. An aircraft mechanic or something.
    I know I know. Im gonna take it to that guy in clearwater asap. It hasnt been giving me any "real" problems just little things. I know it needs a wear ring and someone did check it out. Its running good on the water now and you cant hear the knocking of course but I dont want to leave it that way. It could be an idle adjustment, or engine mount broken or something like that. You know I am no professional but there are only a few more tiimes I am gonna ride it in the water after that either I get a wetsuit or run it on the hose.

After my 1100 zxi I dont want to have the smallest problem and want this ski 100% as soon as I can.
    I am thinking about taking it back to the place that did the carbs but it better be soon or they will say its not their problem of course.

I knew the real problems when I got this ski and paid basically nothing for it. I thought the carb cleaning and wear ring would be it

I am prob. wrong.

Will change the plugs next week just for assurance. Dont know the last time he changed em
    Last edited by ctheodores; 12-02-2009 at 08:59 PM.

I dream skis

def a metallic noise.
    So this would likely be....
    Bearing? Rod?

I hope not

good luck
    Yamaha 2006 VX- my couch
    2000 Superjet- my non-couch

Dont say it..i already have a SUPERJET!!!

www.pwcflorida.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Im just going to throw this out there...

If the previous guy said "There is 20 hours on the top end"...assume there is at least 50 if not more...and thats if you can even trust that it was rebuilt at all.

Unless of course he had documentation from a shop that may have done the work.

Get it looked out by someone who knows what they are looking for. Judging from your posts you still have alot to learn(not knocking you by that comment) and it would be a shame if the ski got torn up over something that could have been easily prevented.

I dream skis

I knew that when I was buying it. Since he put it in and the ski had 100 hours when I got it he prob put in the top end around 50 hours or a bit more.

I guess Im really anal about these loud XL800 engines because I took it in to a reputable shop and the guy in there has an 800 and said thats just normal engine noise and the 800 and 1200's are pretty loud. I guess it wasnt really a metal knock just a shake.
    And the reason he said it was cutting out at idle was that the plugs are kinda fowling because I am mixing 32:1. He said to run it 40:1 and if it still cuts out at idle then he will change the idle setting or show me how to. The ski just needs a wear ring and a reverse cable and other than that it runs fine. Since my kawi I have been really worried about the life of the ski and am just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
    The reason I am here is to learn about my ski and slowly start doing work on it and saving some cash is a plus too.
    I apologize for the stupid questions but everyone has to learn sometime. I appreciate all your help and info and will stick here and you will see alot less of these stupid or noob questions as I learn more and more about my ski.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home tfergusonracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ctheodores View Post
    And the reason he said it was cutting out at idle was that the plugs are kinda fowling because I am mixing 32:1. He said to run it 40:1 and if it still cuts out at idle then he will change the idle setting or show me how to. The ski just needs a wear ring and a reverse cable and other than that it runs fine. Since my kawi I have been really worried about the life of the ski and am just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
    The reason I am here is to learn about my ski and slowly start doing work on it and saving some cash is a plus too.
    There are so many things in there that are wrong. I would find another shop, and fast. How can the plugs "kinda" foul?!? That ski should be mixed at 32:1 and that won't cause plug fouling (in itself). If he thinks that's the case, adjusting the idle would just be a band-aid fix.

I would also get off of that "the only thing wrong" idea that you keep repeating. That may be the case, but it sounds like you may be overlooking some serious issues that may or may not be there as you've posted several threads about other isses (i.e. this thread about an engine knock)...
    Last edited by tfergusonracing; 12-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information