Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Yamaha VX110 Overheat Warning Indicator

I have a 2006 Yamaha VX110 that never has given me a problem until a couple of weeks ago. After not riding it for six months I charged the battery and headed for the river. Everything was fine until I got on the throttle and after about a minute the overheat warning indicator came on along with a buzzer and the ski when into safe mode. I limped back to the boat ramp and let the ski sit for awhile. I headed back out and the same thing happened again. When I got home I checked the water inlet strainer for blockage and the water inlet hose attached to the jet drive. Both were fine. I ran the ski on my garden hose with no problems. I had good water flow from the pilot outlet, good water flow out of the engine head. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem?

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Yamaha VX110 Overheat Warning Indicator

when u rode it, was there water coming out of the pisser?

PWCToday Newbie

Yes, I had good water flow out of the pisser while riding in the water. I was thinking it might be a defective overtemp sensor. There are also two thermal switches, one for the exhaust and one for the engine block, but I dont understand how they all interact with each other. I have the maintenance manual for the ski and the only way I see to remove the sensor is to pull the motor. I even tried to take it in for service at the dealer I bought it from and he wouldnt take it. He told me he had a three week backlog and his storage lot was filled with skis needing maintenance and he didnt have a waiting list.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Slowstang305's Avatar

I heard that sometimes if your air filter is full of oil you will get the overheat warning as well

PWCToday Guru

all sensors are able to be removed with out pulling the motor. Its just that two of them are under the exhaust and can be a pain to get to without taking off the manifold, but can be done.

D

Ive gotten the overheat warning, but that was because i installed a inline filer for sand and debris, so when i would beach the ski she would suck up some stand and when i went to take off the filter would be full. Therefore not allowing water to cool the engine. Have you tried pressing the button on the dash and testing to see if you get 01?
    Yamaha 2006 VX- my couch
    2000 Superjet- my non-couch

Dont say it..i already have a SUPERJET!!!

www.pwcflorida.com

PWCToday Newbie

Since my last posting I checked the air filter to make sure there was no oil on it, and it was fine. I also checked to see if I had any trouble codes by pressing the dashboard button and I did not, it gave me a 01 which is normal. I studied the maintenance manual a little closer and figured out how to see if one of the engine or exhaust thermal switches may be causing the problem. Since I had good water flow through the engine and out of the pisser I was suspecting one of these switches was the problem. The way the thermal switches work is if the temperature they are sensing is below the safe operating temperature they remain open, if they reach a temperature that exceeds a safe operating temperature they short and cause the overtemp warning to come on and put the ski in safe mode. I put the ski in the water and ran it again and the overtemp warning came on, I disconnected the exhaust manifold thermal switch and rode again. The overtemp warning came on once again so I knew the exhaust manifold thermal switch wasn't the problem. I then reconnected the exhaust and disconnected the engine thermal switch and ran the ski again. This time the ski ran fine and the overtemp warning never kicked in. I ran the ski for another 30 minutes at almost full speed and didn't have any problems. Now I am going to order the thermal switch and try and replace it without pulling the engine.

good to know! im glad you solved your problem
    Yamaha 2006 VX- my couch
    2000 Superjet- my non-couch

Dont say it..i already have a SUPERJET!!!

www.pwcflorida.com

PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

Hello, I have a new customers 2005 vx110 with 26hrs on it, never touched by anyone its a virgin,all original nothing has ever been touched so its been brought shop with overheating issue, no codes are coming up nothing at all hooked computer to it still nothing only overheating show up on laptop nothing else. No codes on display screen show up only 01 normal code. I have replaced both thermo sensors, upon request. I removed the exhaust header one water port had some sand, piece of shell very small cleaned out water jackets, inspected engine water ports which were quite clean so I am not believing theres a clog. The pisser works great, back flushed it cooling seems good. after installing everything back on & taking it for water test nothing happened until about 45 minutes into ride literally alarm goes off limp mode on, NO CODES STILL. Yes I have read the recalls on this machine & cant seem to get any closer to the issue at hand help me out guys I am scrambled! what am I missing.
    Last edited by jetskishop1; 10-06-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

there are 3 overheating temp sensors on vx , one on the exhaust, one on the block , both held by 2 bolts .
    there is another one which is the engine temp tensor used by the fuel injection system to read engine temp and adjust fuel mixture and this sensor is bolted on the block on the exhaust side right in the middle of the block and almost impossible to reach without removing exhaust manifold.
    all these 3 sensors can trigger the overheating alarm and put the ski in limp mode.
    the way to know which one is defective is to let the engine trigger the alarm, then disconnect one at the time and try to run again to see if the problem is fixed or not with sensor disconnected.
    make sure first that the engine is not overheating for real, with heat temp gun, shoot the red dot on exhaust, block , head, exhaust hoses, mufflers, temp should not go over 160 / 180 degrees if remember well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information