Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Coffman Exhaust on 97 STX 1100

Hi I am new to this forum and My wife and I just purchased our first jet ski it is a 1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX jet ski that has a Coffman exhaust system on it. The reason for my post is the wiring to the Microtouch electronic water injection has been disconnected and it has water running thru it all the time. The ski runs good but you have to pull the choke out a little if you are cruising or running under 30 mph. Does anyone have a copy of the schematic on how to hook the electronic injection back up, I would like thiset up correctly. Thank You

Re: Coffman Exhaust on 97 STX 1100

I didn't think kawasaki made a fuel injected STX in 1997. I have a 1998 1100STX & it uses reg. CV carbs. I was under the impression that kawasaki didn't incorporate fuel injection until 2000 on the 1100STXs, hench the DI suffix...ie... 2000 1100STXDI. Maybe your ski has a transplanted 2000 or later engine in a 1997 hull?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 1100 STX Stock
    -------------------------------------------
    Pre-mix, Fuel Primer & keyed battery disconnect installed

2000 900 STX Stock

PWCToday Newbie

Let me clarify. It is not "fuel injection" It is water injection into the exhaust. There is a solenoid that controls the flow of water into the exhaust and also a controller box. Both these items have been disconnected and i am looking for a schematic on how to hook them back up. Thanks for your reply.

OK now i'm with ya. I'm not sure on the koffman exhaust system. I can tell you that on a "factory" exhaust, it has a metal gasket in the system that acts as a restrictor that allows only a limited amount of water into the exhaust thus cooling the exhaust system. This solenoid & control box in question must be specifically for the koffman exhaust. Maybe it was rigged up to minic the factory system by letting a fixed amount of water all the time. If it's too much then you may have some back pressure issues, but if it's not enuff then your exhaust will run way to hot. Hopefully someone with more experience with aftermkt exhaust systems can chime in & enlighten you & me both if this has any bearing on the performance of your ski & the choke issues around 30mph.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 1100 STX Stock

2000 900 STX Stock

PWCToday Newbie

Im hoping someone can enlighten me on this also. When the person I bought it from took me out for a test ride it ran awesome. We had it up to 62 which was way fast enough for me, as I was sitting on the back. He told me they had been running it like this for a couple years. He told me the reason they disconected everything was that the solinoid would suck in so crap now and then and you would have to stop to clean it out and it took quite some tome. I just want to have everything hook up the way it is supposed to be before I do any real riding on it. thanks for your reply.

Frequent Poster Thesepaperwings's Avatar

You could always put the stock pipe back on?

PWCToday Newbie

That would also be an option if I had a complete stock exhaust to put back on it.

PWCToday Newbie

Does anyone know if there are any negatives to running this coffman exhaust with out the micro touch injection system programmer hooked up? The solenoid is in the open position "all the time" so the exhaust is constantly getting cooling water. It was explained to me that the programmer turns the water on and off depending on the speed. I was told that just pulling the choke out a hair for speeds under 30 miles per hour will make up for the water not being turned of at low speeds. At least with the water on all the time the exhaust shouldnt overheat, am I right? Other than some lack of performance can anyone tell me if this will hurt anything running it this way until I can aquire a complete stock exhaust for this machine? The ski runs fantastic the way it is I just dont want to burn up the motor. Thank you

Top Dog

I'll trade you a stock system for your coffman. email me at duckman1@mchsi.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kawi66's Avatar

too much water will lower the performance of the pipe,it takes just the right amount of jetted water at just the right rpm.we used the coffman on several of our zxi and stx race ski's back in the day.you could certainly hard jet the pipe and get rid of the electronic module,it won't be quite as crisp but will work,you would have to experiment with jets on the pipe until you got the sweet spot where the pipe worked well and did not smoke the rubber couplers.

or you could call hot products and get a new ewcm ,you do not have to use micro touch,the msd system will also work.

if you wish to hard jet i would try about a 120 on the mid pipe and a 100 or so at the stinger.if the coupler stays cool you can lower the jets and see if the rpm and accelleration improve.
    Never trust a fart past forty........

1998 farthing big red lightweight x4....1100 kawi conversion
    1997 sheldon carbon lightweight zxi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information