Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: Tips for those winterizing soon (yamaha)

Quote Originally Posted by andremike View Post
    Im still thinking about this... any other thoughts?
    Oil shears over time, even when the engine is not being run. 3-4 months of sitting in an engine can reduce the viscosity of oil dramatically, even in a car, where you are able to get nearly all of the old oil out. Getting nearly all of the old oil out in a PWC is much more difficult. I would highly recommend changing the oil at the very least at the beginning of each season. $130 seems very reasonable to me since the oil change kit alone is $50*, oil extractors run about $50, not to mention plugs and labor. I do all my servicing myself, because the local Yamaha shop here is totally incompetent, and charge almost double that for "summarization", but if I could get someone I trusted to do it for $130, I would.

* You can save money if you buy 6 packs of the oil change kits, but unless you have multiple skis (or buddies with the same ski) and change more than once a year, the oil goes bad just sitting in the box before you can use it.

Well, I'm BAAACK.
    Came back North in May (brrrr, rain and cold); put the '14 FX Cruiser back in the water in June - still nippy.
    Winterized using this thread (excellent info) with a few differences - did not fog the engine and did not add antifreeze to the block but blew water out of the block and extracted water out of the exhaust components.
    Then stored it in my unheated below freezing garage for the winter.
    You can see the steps I used above in this thread.
    The wave runner started right up and has been running like a rocket so far.
    Just to be on the safe side, I will fog it as part of the next winter process.
    However, made one mistake unloading from the trailer at the ramp: forgot to put the wave runner in reverse before starting the engine - DOH!!
    She lurched forward toward the winch but I managed to get it in reverse in time - pucker factor of 10.
    RickM46

RickM46

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cameron da river rat's Avatar

i guess i need to read throuh all of this first but.....

here is how i do most skis.......four stroke anyway

add fuel conditioner yamaha part number acc-fuelm-rx-16 one once to every gallon for storage or one ounce to every 3 during operation

hook salt way adapter with salt away additive to the adapter
    backflush cooling system while treatment gets into fuel system (fuel pump, fuel line and injectors)
    remove coils, remove sparken pins...lol, remove inejector rail w/injectors
    shoot fogging oil into injectors, down intake and into tops of cylinders
    install injector rail/injectors, old spark plugs, hold throttle wide open (shuts off injectors while cranking) and spin engine over for about 3-5 seconds
    disconnect battery, spray everything down with yamashield under the seat and pump
    tell the customer too fill gas tank and add remaining fuel conditioner to tank
    no antifreeze down here, most skis are self draining

all skis are different and require a little bit different techniques and tactics depending on the make and model.......some of the above info is from sea doo, yamaha and kawasaki
    aka "Cameron Da River Rat"
    (jetskianist~addicionist~modificationist)
    www.jetski247.webs.com

92 550sx 650 conversion sweet.........
    94 fx1 (under modification)
    2 X2's (under modification) one for the kiddo
    98 spx stock/fpp spec2 (broke)
    03 genesis i (huge pos)
    95 f150 tonka toy
    04 suby sti

PWCToday Regular

after pulling the hose and spraying the fog juice, should the engine smoke? It does on my other PWC. I just finished the procedure to winterize my FZS and didn't know if the fog juice reached the engine or not since I didn't feel any suction on the hose.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    after pulling the hose and spraying the fog juice, should the engine smoke? It does on my other PWC. I just finished the procedure to winterize my FZS and didn't know if the fog juice reached the engine or not since I didn't feel any suction on the hose.
    This off of the topic, but when anyone refers to having the PWC "idling", do you mean that the throttle is placed in Forward or remaining in Neutral for running water through the machine during cleaning it out?

Quote Originally Posted by David Young View Post
    This off of the topic, but when anyone refers to having the PWC "idling", do you mean that the throttle is placed in Forward or remaining in Neutral for running water through the machine during cleaning it out?
    Makes no difference either way David. The water will run everywhere you need it when flushing. Having the ski in forward or reverse only affects a plastic bucket that pulls over the back of the jet at the back of the ski. You will see what I mean if you try changing 'gears' and have a look at the back.
    Yamaha 2008 VX Cruiser

Thinking that you really want to get all of that water out of the exhaust before putting the ski away and usually I run it while revving a bit for 10 seconds but I have to wait for it to cool, then do it again. Takes about 3 or 4 goes before only a few drops come out the back and I feel confident(ish) that the water is out of the exhaust. I ride a yamaha vx 2008 in salt only so it needs to be done well...

2 questions:

1. Is there any other way to get in there and suck it all out?

2. could I run the ski and keep revving until it all comes out for longer than 10 seconds? Wouldn't the overheat warning come on to let me know before I do any damage anyway?
    Yamaha 2008 VX Cruiser

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread Information