User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Tips for those winterizing soon (yamaha)

Thanksfully its not me for a fe more months. But its always posted for info, so here goes.

How To Winterize/Summerize a Yamaha FX/VX 4 stroke Model Waverunner.
    Applies to YAMAHA...

1- Go to the gas station and fill your ski up with fresh gas, making sure you are at least above 3/4 full, (want to avoid condensation in tank this way). Now add a fuel stabilizer, I suggest the Yamaha brand, add it at gas station, now drive home, this will help "slosh it" around and mix it on the short drive home.

2- Now run ski on water hose for 10 minutes to clean out the ski, and to run some of the stabilized fuel through the engine. Shut off water and blow out excess water for 10 seconds with a couple half throttle hits. REMEMBER THIS: the water is added to the ski AFTER the ski is started, and is stopped BEFORE the ski is turned off... if the ski stops running while on water, immediately turn off water flow! Try and do this with the nose up slightly if possible.

3- you can change oil and oil filter at this point now or wait until spring. I think it's best done now but it's a personal choice really, but the engine is warm and the oil mixed around so just change it now if possible. Exception is if you have just changed the oil/filter within the last 10/15 hours then wait until spring.

This is also a good chance for you to look over the ski well, look for damaged hoses, check to be sure clamps are tight, look for wear items, brackets, and things that may be damaged, loose or worn... from a year of riding things get loose or damaged..... check over bottom of hull from underneath it, also look for frayed electric wires around the engine, burned/melting wires, check the hose and clamps on your gas tank, Open fuse box and make sure nothing looks wet or damaged in there and seal is good, give it a light coat of silicone grease,etc. Give a good wipe down with a silicone lubricant on your front engine hatch rubber seal and on your rubber seal on the bottom of the seat also...

4- Now, wash, dry and wax ski, do a full detail, dry out inside of hull, you can use a shop vac if need be, or just towels, suck out the small amount of water in the hose attachment where you hook up the water hose also.

5- The next day, or a couple hours later on that day, blow out water again..it should have be done 3-4 times total from when you rinsed out engine until your done winterizing it. As long as you give an hour or two break between each blow out to avoid over heating engine. An hour or so later do another final blow out, on the final blow out you should raise the front of your ski as high as you can when clearing water from the engine, this helps get it all out. Remember to not run engine for longer than 10-15 seconds each time.

6- remove the hose that goes from the air filter box to the engine at the engine side. now spray the Yamaha engine fogging oil into it for 5 seconds, then start engine for 10 seconds at idle only. shut off, re-connect engine hose.

7- Now remove battery from ski and put on trickle charger, if you don't want to use a trickle charger, then disconnect battery cables and leave it in craft until spring, but the charger really is a good idea, and a VERY good idea if your storage time is more than 2-3 months.

8- now spray a engine/hull/hose protection over all exterior surfaces in your engine compartment, like a silicone lubricant, again Yamaha sells this to, spray it over everything inside the hull.

9-now put seat back on, use a small folded over towel to prop up the back of the seat a inch for added ventilation.

10- cover ski with cover and your done. I don't use or suggest anti freeze on four strokes properly winterized. It's not required, when you properly do everything else above including the 3-4 blow outs of water, which you MUST do. I know of no confirmed cases where a 4 stroke engine cracked from winter, and the Yamaha manuals make no mention of adding antifreeze either, and if it was required, or there was a risk of engine damage, YOU COULD BET YAMAHA would have it in the manual in big bold words, but it's not there. AGAIN, the key is to blow out the water 3-4 times, which removes most of the water.

It's kind of like taking 2 empty coke bottles, fill one full of water, fill the other with a inch of water, lay them down on there side and freeze them for a few days, now check on them, the full one will be expanded, deformed and maybe ruptured, but the one with a inch or so of water will be normal, just like before it went into the freezer. same principal, a properly blown out ski will hold so little water that even in the hardest longest freezes no damage will happen.

Summerizing:

11- In the spring/summer, simply make sure your battery is charged and connect battery back to ski, start engine, make sure it sounds correct, now change oil, oil filter (unless you did this at the end of last season). Be sure to change spark plugs, air filter, lube cables and lube points now. I suggest running ski a few minutes on water in the spring to make sure engine sound right and to clean it out of fogging spray, THEN change spark plugs with fresh ones. Now go ride it like you stole it. This will save you several dollars doing it yourself and allow you to check for any damages and have the pride in knowing you did it right and yourself. This applies to the vx/fx Yamaha line.

Why pay 300-500 dollars for all that when you can do it yourself easily and for 80 to 90% cheaper than a dealer charges for it all. I can guarantee you it will be a better job and much more pride and understanding of your ski if you do it. Most dealers just don't care, NOT ALL, there is a few great dealers, but most don't care. In any case your savings could be enough to pay for your fuel during a season of riding plus you know it was done and done right!

Now is also a good time to check tire pressure and wear on your trailer and tires, lube bearings and trailer ball, check safety chains, look over lights and connectors and scan the trailer and bunks in general for issues.

In spring, your ready to go! Nothing else needs to be done, except as noted above.

Note: I use the Yamaha brand products on everything mentioned above, a personal choice is all, there is other brands you can use and many people do, I just choose to stick with OEM items..makes it simple for me.

Re: Tips for those winterizing soon (yamaha)

This should be a sticky. This info helped me out last year,great job it will help alot of people.Thank you.
    2010 Yamaha FX SHO

Piss valve
    Riva Stage 1 KIT,stock re-pitched prop,Riva BOV,R&D intrake grate & PPK.

Northeast Ohio ~ Riding Rollers On Lake Erie

I've heard it's not necessary, but I still run a good marine anti freeze through mine. Then I definitely don't have to worry about any water left in the lines freezing and causing damage. Also, I always thought you open up the throttle and spray the fogging oil into the four intakes. Is that not the case? That's how I've always done mine.

Great info....thanks for the post. Yes, this should be a sticky!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>2003 FX-140
    >1994 WB1
    >1994 SJ

Live Great Lakes Web Cams

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErieOne View Post
    I've heard it's not necessary, but I still run a good marine anti freeze through mine. Then I definitely don't have to worry about any water left in the lines freezing and causing damage. Also, I always thought you open up the throttle and spray the fogging oil into the four intakes. Is that not the case? That's how I've always done mine.

Great info....thanks for the post. Yes, this should be a sticky!
    always fogged my 2 stroke, what about 4 strokes?

Quote Originally Posted by ErieOne View Post
    Also, I always thought you open up the throttle and spray the fogging oil into the four intakes. Is that not the case?
    On the FX...... spray fogging oil into each intake for 3 secs with the motor off.....replace air box lid, then start motor & idle for 10-15 secs.
    Out of interest... if I know I wont be going out for a week or more, I'll fog the motor in this way..........have never had an issue with fouled plugs.....they get changed as a precaution at around 100 hrs.

Great info bulldogs!
    Last edited by volltrex; 09-15-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Dave

2007 FXHO 160 Cruiser, Sold
    2012 FXHO Cruiser

i just spray into teh end myself and then fire the engine the second im done, it draws it all in. like volltrex said. he has no issues with fouled plugs and i have not either, but i do know of a person or two who has. but then again, who knows how they fogged or what they did either. but properly its not likely gonna foul them. as to the anit freeze, if it makes you feel good, by all means do it, i change my oil every 30 hours, and oil filter every other change, while yamaha says 100 hours, i have done it 3 times in that 100 hours. so its what makes you feel better :O)

You know voltrex, i may start doing that to, good to see you posted that, about the spray fog em if more than a week they will sat, we use ours every weekend, so i dont do it except for maybe once a month or two ( and then winterization of course) but i may start doing it every week or two at most now. thanks

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post
    1- Go to the gas station and fill your ski up with fresh gas, making sure you are at least above 3/4 full, (want to avoid condensation in tank this way). Now add a fuel stabilizer, I suggest the Yamaha brand, add it at gas station, now drive home, this will help "slosh it" around and mix it on the short drive home.

Or you could add the stabilizer before you put the gas in. That way the new gas will mix in as its filling up.

Good post.

PWCToday Newbie

What do you mean by blowing out 3 to 4 time.. Those this mean to run the engine for 10sec with no water connected to take all the water out of the engine???

I'd change the trickle charger to a float charger.

Otherwise looks good... I've been putting RV anti freeze into my FX/HO since '05. Nice to know that I can just "blow" the water out.
    Paul
    '05 HO/FX '99 ZRX 1100 '87 944S

"A man that carries a cat by it's tail, learns something that he could in no other way". Samuel Clemons.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information