X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otnieltc
    I dream skis
    • Oct 2005

Honda F12X not charging battery & only 50 mph at 6lbs...I need some help please

So I went for a beautiful ride in Key Largo only to go through some troubles so I am asking for some help. I left the ramp and there was no problems for like 1/2 an hour then the battery light came on. (Last time this happened I turned off the ski and couldn't get it to turn on again) so I rode it back to the ramp and yes I couldn't turn the ski back on once I turned it off. Soo off I went to Auto parts store and got a battery. Turned on again and went riding for a good 3-4 hours without a problem. Then all the sudden the battery warning light came on again so I went on my way to the ramp (20 miles away) only to find that the instrument cluster just turned off and so did the ski. Never turned on again until like 3 hours later.

Soooo I believe that for the 4 hours on the new battery the ski was just running off the battery. So... what should I look for? Or need to replace?

BTW I put a charger on it it turned on fine.

On a separate note I was only going 50mph on the dream-o-meter and making 6 pounds of boost (factory reads 13) at around 5200-5300 rpms. I recently replaced the wastegate. I had a cut on one of the vacuum hoses so I replaced it. I also had the blow off valve stuck so I freed it and still got the same results so any insight on this will be appreciated. (Could it be that it was acting like that due to no charging system?)

Thanks in advance!!
    2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12X- K&N air filter, Turbo XS RFL BOV, Gaffrig boost gauge, R&D sponsons

2004 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport, Inertia forged hemi, 6.1l crank, Manley flat top pistons 9:5:1 compression, K1 rods, ARP main bolts-head studs, 6.1l springs-retainers-push rods-oil pump, Inertia turbo cam, intercooler, sts turbo, T76 Turbonetics, ATF Speed 5-45 RFE transmission, ATF billet triple disc lock-up converter, 15% UD ATI Damper, Mopar headers,
    405rwhp/491 lbs. rwtq at 6.5 lbs of boost
  • 1brokeazzhonda

#2 Unapproved
    Re: Honda F12X not charging battery & only 50 mph at 6lbs...I need some help please

Check the connection@ the voltage regulator is down under where the oil filter is......it has heat sinks on it and its black if the connection is good I'd say the regulator is bad
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• 1brokeazzhonda

#3 Unapproved
      Re: Honda F12X not charging battery & only 50 mph at 6lbs...I need some help please

Low battery voltage will cause your reduced speed, due to the battery falling below 12v and the entire system is 12v very critical on the ignition system to have 12-13v

Comment

• otnieltc
        I dream skis
        • Oct 2005

Okay..I'll check that right now.
        2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12X- K&N air filter, Turbo XS RFL BOV, Gaffrig boost gauge, R&D sponsons

2004 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport, Inertia forged hemi, 6.1l crank, Manley flat top pistons 9:5:1 compression, K1 rods, ARP main bolts-head studs, 6.1l springs-retainers-push rods-oil pump, Inertia turbo cam, intercooler, sts turbo, T76 Turbonetics, ATF Speed 5-45 RFE transmission, ATF billet triple disc lock-up converter, 15% UD ATI Damper, Mopar headers,

Comment

• otnieltc
          I dream skis
          • Oct 2005

Hehehehe....So it was disconnected. LOL
          Connection is all wet though problem should let it dry a little huh?

Comment

• 1brokeazzhonda

#6 Unapproved

CRC and dielectric grease Mine does it too it seems like it dont lock in and will pop off time to time
            Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• otnieltc
              I dream skis
              • Oct 2005

CRC 6-56? And does electrical connection cleaner work as a dielectric grease? Don't know where to get that...

Comment

• 1brokeazzhonda

#8 Unapproved

CRC will displace the moisture and dielectric grease will protect it Auto parts stores have it, the electrical cleaner will not displace the moisture
                Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• otnieltc
                  I dream skis
                  • Oct 2005

Cool!....Thanks a lot for a hopefully easy fix. And here I was getting complained about my Honda cuz a seadoo had to tow me in. lol
                  Last edited by otnieltc; 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• 1brokeazzhonda

#10 Unapproved

Glad too help, was on my lunch break!

Comment

• otnieltc
                      I dream skis
                      • Oct 2005

LOL...talking about lunch I need to go eat something.

Comment

• AWDBooSTiN90
                        PWCToday Newbie
                        • Jul 2020

So did this fix your problem completely or did you have to replace the voltage regulator?

How do you remove the voltage regulator from the front of the engine. I dont feel any bolts and you can’t see anything really..

Im getting a battery light on with a new battery, im also getting a misfire sometimes that goes away completely if i shut the engine off and back on again.

At the end the battery was completely dead and couldn’t even start the jet ski again…

Any suggestions on how to check the regulator? Also could the main relay be causing these weird intermittent battery light alert issue?

The wiring harness is neat but alot of the plastic wiring harness zip tie mounts are unglued from the fiberglass. Whats an easy way to glue them back in place to clean up the wire routing alittle..
                        '05 Honda Aquatrax Turbo F-12X!
                        '96 Yamaha Super Jet!! 701cc
                        -Alum Pole. MSD. Factory B-Pipe.
                        Girlded Head. Worx SS pump shoe. SS Impeller. Scoop Intake. RidePlate. UMI Bars/Grips.
                        '92 SN SJ Project--- '03 GP800R -For Sale. Great Condition. LI, NY. PM Me if interested!

Comment

• AWDBooSTiN90
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Jul 2020

Having the same problem as the OP, but my regulator is not unplugged. New battery. Not charging. Only goes 50mph and only up to 5250rpms.

Eventually the warning buzzer and red battery light warning comes on afte riding it for alittle bit...

The weird part to me is that the battery light doesnt come on when the alternator is clearly not charging.

So i checked everything out.
                          Battery voltage (agm): 13.2 volts connected or disconnected to ski

Engine running the voltage drops down to about 12.6volts and if i take it out then the battery will slowly die but it lasts about an hour.. I guess because it's fairly new so with 20aH it lasts alittle..

I checked the voltage regulator plug wires with my meter by memory and i got good clean +12v battery voltage on the red/wht wire and the battery ground as well on the green wire.

Forgot how to check the 3 yellow stator wires. Anyone know? Resistance to ground check?

I ordered a used voltage regulator because it seems like that's the issue.
                          But some of the stories of weird issues caused by the Main Relay has me worried its possible it is that..

Also does the voltage regulator just unbolt with the two 10mm bolts? It's just on a bracket? Nothing to do with the oil tank or oil? I heard something about it being oil cooled...
                          Last edited by AWDBooSTiN90; 07-25-2021, 09:32 PM.
                          Girlded Head. Worx SS pump shoe. SS Impeller. Scoop Intake. RidePlate. UMI Bars/Grips.
                          '92 SN SJ Project--- '03 GP800R -For Sale. Great Condition. LI, NY. PM Me if interested!

Comment

• AWDBooSTiN90
                            PWCToday Newbie
                            • Jul 2020

The Honda voltage regulator seems like just a standard 5-wire stator rectifier/regulator combo.

We could probably use universal versions of these for like a motorcycle, it has the same three yellow wires, red, black.

The AC voltage made by the internal alternator/stator comes out on three wire for the 3phases. The regulator converts the AC signal into a usable DC voltage and regulates the voltage output for spikes/dips in the current.

An additional or seperate DC regulator would ensure that the unit can't cause any issues and gives out a reliable charging voltage.

If these things go bad so often we might as well make a new one easily available work on the ski. An adapter pigtail harness could be made to make it a no cut mod.

Also someone should post up some good wiring diagrams of that whole back relay assembly and whatever else is in there next tomthe fuse box. That could be made a lot simpler and way more reliable with a separate sealed automotive grade relay box like for an A/C compressor relay and fuse box usually small and seperate..

Comment

Working...
                            X