• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • srfman
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jul 2009

Ski gps for fishing ?

Does anyone have any tips for buying and installing a gps system on a ski. It appears you need a separate battery (probably an optima), and of course the GPS will need to be waterproof. But what about any details, mounting tips, preferred models etc. Any good or bad experiences out there? What about fishing pole mount pros and cons? (Paul, you sent me some good pics, mahalo) anybody else have advice?
    Mahalo
    Last edited by srfman; 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
  • SpearoPaul
    PWCToday Guru
    • Oct 2008

Re: Ski gps for fishing ?

If you're really lazy and have a phobia of wiring up things, especially those that will repeatedly get dunked with salt water, you can do what I did which was to get a waterproof gps, stick velcro on it's back, sick velcro on the ski. Charge it up in the car, then stick it on the PWC and go.

The problem with taking this route is that the gps can run out of power. Mine lasts about 1 1/2 hours on it's brightest setting. I only use it to mark locations and since it has a fast link-up time, it works out nicely for me.

The pros are: No wiring, no shorts, no melt downs, no power failures, no draining the PWC battery, easy to remove/install, etc.

I use the Garmin Nuvi 500.

-Paul

Comment

• srfman
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Jul 2009

Thanks again Paul.....I am just putting two and two together that you are my bloody decks pen pal too! Right on Paul......sure hope to "hook up"with you someday.
      Aloha,
      Jim

Comment

• paloika
        PWCToday Regular
        • May 2004

check out these pictures

Jetski fishing is an increasingly popular fishing activity. In this article, we’ll show you the things to start you with jetski fishing.

\"To try and fail is at least to learn...to fail to try is to suffer the lost of might have been\"

\"To know and not yet to do is not yet to know\"

Comment

• jhip
          PWCToday Regular
          • Jun 2007

Srfman, did you end up buying a GPS yet? If so, what kind? I'm on the hunt for one myself...

Paul, just PM'd you on the HSD forums before stumbling onto this one.

Joe

Comment

• srfman
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jul 2009

Howzit Joe,
            I'm still doing my homework....kinda a steep investment for me. I went down to West Marine yesterday and looked at some of their Garwin models. It all depends on your needs it appears. I do not care about the fish finder as much as I want the chart and depth capabilities. Some models come loaded with the charts and depths...some don't. If they don't, you will end up paying another $130+ for the cd to load into your unit. Maybe best to just buy the unit loaded already....and I like the color units better.

Comment

• SpearoPaul
              PWCToday Guru
              • Oct 2008

When shopping for one to use on a PWC, make sure it is an unit that is easy to read in sunlight since you won't be under a roof. Also if you install the transducer inside of your hull, make sure it's got enough wattage to shoot through your hull and get a reading. 500w seems to be the minimum power required.

-Paul

Comment

• jhip
                PWCToday Regular
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by SpearoPaul View Post
                When shopping for one to use on a PWC, make sure it is an unit that is easy to read in sunlight since you won't be under a roof. Also if you install the transducer inside of your hull, make sure it's got enough wattage to shoot through your hull and get a reading. 500w seems to be the minimum power required.

-Paul
                Paul,

The rep over at Kem's at Pier 35 referred the Garmin GPSMap 76cxs.

You can mark spots and such but not sure if you can punch in coordinates like yours.

This one floats as where the Nuvi version would just sink.

They're similar in price so I'm torn. Your thoughts??

Comment

• SpearoPaul
                  PWCToday Guru
                  • Oct 2008

I used to have the Garmin Etrex which looks like 76csx. I found my etrex to be very slow in finding itself but that might not be applicable to the 76csx since it may have different internals.

However, the thing that I hated so much about it was the tiny screen. When you're on a ski and riding through chop or being blown around, the last thing you want to do is to have to peer closely at the unit and squint your eyes to read the map. You might even have to stop moving just to look. A big screen is important to me because it gives me a much better frame of reference, especially since a PWC does not keep on going straight when you back off of the throttle and let it idle. However, I use it for diving and I need to be in specific places. For something as general as fishing or finding the general area of a FAD, it will work.

Mine did not float by the way. It's somewhere out at Makapuu.

At $400, I would rather pay the extra $50 or so and get the Nuvi with it's bigger screen and touch-screen capabilities. Make sure you buy from West Marine due to their no-hassle return policy, and their price-match policy. Electronics in salt water usually do not last.

-Paul

Comment

• jhip
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Jun 2007

Well, Kem's quoted me $290 for the 76csx. I don't like the fact that is has such a small screen. But it does float so I like that feature. Just gotta weigh the pros and cons.

How long have you had your Nuvi 500? Has it held up well against the elements??

I was hoping to buy a device before the weekend but if I decide on the Nuvi, no one has it in stock so I'd have to wait...

Comment

• SpearoPaul
                      PWCToday Guru
                      • Oct 2008

I've had mine for a little over half a year now. The first one did start to have issues within the month (getting it to accept a charge due to some water/corrosion getting into the plug area), and because I was smart enough to buy it from West Marine, I did not have any problems exchanging it for a brand new one other than needing to wait for the replacement unit to arrive. Try that with most retailers or any of the internet stores. Not gonna happen.

True, there's the down-time of having to order a unit and wait for it to arrive. That's the sucky part. For me, it was worth the trade/off wait.

-Paul

Comment

• jhip
                        PWCToday Regular
                        • Jun 2007

Just picked up the Garmin Oregon 400c from West Marine for $499.99 + the extended warranty for $59.99 (3 year total warranty). Also picked up a the swivel marine mount from www.ram-mounts.com and hopefully rig it up on the ski for the weekend.

I'll post pictures and reviews once it's up and running...

- Joe

Comment

• SpearoPaul
                          PWCToday Guru
                          • Oct 2008

We can trade some coordinates once you come up with some good ones.

Yesterday's outing, I went to a spot that I've got marked as an ulua house near Makapuu. Only 48'. Sure enough, there was one home, but it was a bad shot angle so I didn't take it. Was hoping he would turn around, but he didn't. Next time!

Got one more guy to say he'll come to the pool training (somebody that has already trained with me which will be helpful in terms of communication). Just gotta find the time/remember to call Palolo and find out what's up with their Thursday schedule if there's one.

-Paul

Comment

• Maverick Fish Hunter
                            PWCToday Newbie
                            • Nov 2015

Check out the console bracket on this site, mounts a sonar, it's what I use: www.maverickfishhunter.com , send me an email if your interested in the transduce I use.

Comment

Working...
                            X