Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Ski gps for fishing ?

Does anyone have any tips for buying and installing a gps system on a ski. It appears you need a separate battery (probably an optima), and of course the GPS will need to be waterproof. But what about any details, mounting tips, preferred models etc. Any good or bad experiences out there? What about fishing pole mount pros and cons? (Paul, you sent me some good pics, mahalo) anybody else have advice?
    Mahalo
    Last edited by srfman; 08-17-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Ski gps for fishing ?

If you're really lazy and have a phobia of wiring up things, especially those that will repeatedly get dunked with salt water, you can do what I did which was to get a waterproof gps, stick velcro on it's back, sick velcro on the ski. Charge it up in the car, then stick it on the PWC and go.

The problem with taking this route is that the gps can run out of power. Mine lasts about 1 1/2 hours on it's brightest setting. I only use it to mark locations and since it has a fast link-up time, it works out nicely for me.

The pros are: No wiring, no shorts, no melt downs, no power failures, no draining the PWC battery, easy to remove/install, etc.

I use the Garmin Nuvi 500.

-Paul

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks again Paul.....I am just putting two and two together that you are my bloody decks pen pal too! Right on Paul......sure hope to "hook up"with you someday.
    Aloha,
    Jim

PWCToday Regular
    \"To try and fail is at least to learn...to fail to try is to suffer the lost of might have been\"

\"To know and not yet to do is not yet to know\"

PWCToday Regular

Srfman, did you end up buying a GPS yet? If so, what kind? I'm on the hunt for one myself...

Paul, just PM'd you on the HSD forums before stumbling onto this one.

Joe

PWCToday Newbie

Howzit Joe,
    I'm still doing my homework....kinda a steep investment for me. I went down to West Marine yesterday and looked at some of their Garwin models. It all depends on your needs it appears. I do not care about the fish finder as much as I want the chart and depth capabilities. Some models come loaded with the charts and depths...some don't. If they don't, you will end up paying another $130+ for the cd to load into your unit. Maybe best to just buy the unit loaded already....and I like the color units better.

When shopping for one to use on a PWC, make sure it is an unit that is easy to read in sunlight since you won't be under a roof. Also if you install the transducer inside of your hull, make sure it's got enough wattage to shoot through your hull and get a reading. 500w seems to be the minimum power required.

-Paul

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by SpearoPaul View Post
    When shopping for one to use on a PWC, make sure it is an unit that is easy to read in sunlight since you won't be under a roof. Also if you install the transducer inside of your hull, make sure it's got enough wattage to shoot through your hull and get a reading. 500w seems to be the minimum power required.

-Paul
    Paul,

The rep over at Kem's at Pier 35 referred the Garmin GPSMap 76cxs.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10881

You can mark spots and such but not sure if you can punch in coordinates like yours.

This one floats as where the Nuvi version would just sink.

They're similar in price so I'm torn. Your thoughts??

I used to have the Garmin Etrex which looks like 76csx. I found my etrex to be very slow in finding itself but that might not be applicable to the 76csx since it may have different internals.

However, the thing that I hated so much about it was the tiny screen. When you're on a ski and riding through chop or being blown around, the last thing you want to do is to have to peer closely at the unit and squint your eyes to read the map. You might even have to stop moving just to look. A big screen is important to me because it gives me a much better frame of reference, especially since a PWC does not keep on going straight when you back off of the throttle and let it idle. However, I use it for diving and I need to be in specific places. For something as general as fishing or finding the general area of a FAD, it will work.

Mine did not float by the way. It's somewhere out at Makapuu.

At $400, I would rather pay the extra $50 or so and get the Nuvi with it's bigger screen and touch-screen capabilities. Make sure you buy from West Marine due to their no-hassle return policy, and their price-match policy. Electronics in salt water usually do not last.

-Paul

PWCToday Regular

Well, Kem's quoted me $290 for the 76csx. I don't like the fact that is has such a small screen. But it does float so I like that feature. Just gotta weigh the pros and cons.

How long have you had your Nuvi 500? Has it held up well against the elements??

I was hoping to buy a device before the weekend but if I decide on the Nuvi, no one has it in stock so I'd have to wait...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information