Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SeaLion's Avatar
    RIDE MOHAVE TO HAVASU Live In Los Angeles

Re: Makes a guy wonder !

hudsonriverrider, you are making a mountain out of an ant hill. The jist of the message is right on but you get hung up on one word that could have been chosen a little different.

Hey I have a stimulating next idea for the government. Cash for knockers: a $4,500 credit for any woman to get breast augmentation. How about that for lifting a sagging economy?!
    "If debt is the problem, how is more debt the solution"?
    Ron Paul

If you lend someone $50 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it?

SUR #7

Check out the skis at:
    http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...llery/album72/

Norge PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home R Hudson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sealion View Post
    hudsonriverrider, you are making a mountain out of an ant hill. The jist of the message is right on but you get hung up on one word that could have been chosen a little different.

Hey i have a stimulating next idea for the government. Cash for knockers: A $4,500 credit for any woman to get breast augmentation. How about that for lifting a sagging economy?!

i like it!!!

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

" Wildly successful " "Extremely popular".

These are terms I hear about the CARS program that make folks want to sa give it more money, extend the program, ect.

Well DUH !
    Stand on a corner and hand out $100.00 bills to anyone passing by, see how popular you are ? Of course people who are willing to accept handouts are going to think it is great.

Maybe that is what is wrong with the people in Washington, and the vast majority of citizens these days ? Has it come to be "normal" to accept handouts ?

If this plan has done what they said it is doing, and assembly lines are rolling again, I have no problem with the outcome of spending 1 billion dollars to further subsidize the auto industry. But I have a huge question in my mind about why we spent billions allready and got zippo for it, yet only 1 billion makes such a huge difference ????
    Should we ask for our 70 billion back ?
    Last edited by Watercraft Magic; 08-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLion View Post

Hey I have a stimulating next idea for the government. Cash for knockers: a $4,500 credit for any woman to get breast augmentation. How about that for lifting a sagging economy?!
    Now that is Change even I can believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O'Neal View Post
    " Wildly successful " "Extremely popular".

These are terms I hear about the CARS program that make folks want to sa give it more money, extend the program, ect.

Well DUH !
    Stand on a corner and hand out $100.00 bills to anyone passing by, see how popular you are ? Of course people who are willing to accept handouts are going to think it is great.

Maybe that is what is wrong with the people in Washington, and the vast majority of citizens these days ? Has it come to be "normal" to accept handouts ?

If this plan has done what they said it is doing, and assembly lines are rolling again, I have no problem with the outcome of spending 1 billion dollars to further subsidize the auto industry. But I have a huge question in my mind about why we spent billions allready and got zippo for it, yet only 1 billion makes such a huge difference ????
    Should we ask for our 70 billion back ?
    70 billion? You mean $786 billion. It was spent stupdly to begin with and will continue to be that way. They should have cut costs to businesses and ran other BIG programs like this and we would already be out of this mess like China is. Instead we have a ton of worthless social programs and are probably still a year away from really getting out of this mess.

11% unemployment here we come.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguana View Post
    So all the junkyards are run by the Russians? I suppose all 7-11 clerks are from India too huh?

The program ran out of funds early because it was more popular than anticipated. It was also a bipartisan program. It was designed to stimulate new car sales, so that the car companies could begin to recover and stop bleeding jobs. And apparently it worked, all the dealers in my area are advertising the heck out of it.

The fact you traded in a SUV for a more efficient car years ago is not the point. You did what you did as a result of the situation at hand. Maybe you got tired of paying so much for a tank of gas that did not even last a week. Maybe your vehicle was getting old and did not run very well. Maybe it needed expensive work. Maybe the AC did not work. Who knows.

As for the hand out thing - people are still having to pay for their cars. Nobody is getting a free car. If anyone is getting a handout, it is the car dealers, car salesmen, auto companies, factory workers, truck drivers, and so on. They in turn pay taxes, and shop for stuff - dumping more money into the economy and helping fuel more businesses. And they would also get a "handout" if they are out of work on unemployment. At least this way the "handout" keeps people working, and paying into unemployment.

I do not think the program needs to continue forever. When the market is able to stand on its own - end it. No problem. But right now, I think that this is one program that makes some sense.

I think more funds will be made available for this program. How much more? Who knows. Maybe until everyone that is going to trade in a clunker for a new car has done so. But by then, it will have generated a lot of car sales - and run its course.

You can still get a "handout" however. Go buy an old truck that barely runs for $700 and then trade it in.
    I do not have to like it because it is "bi-partisan".

My SUV has 55K miles on it, everything works perfectly and I have no intention of seeing it crushed and walking away with $4500.00 towarrds the purchase of some POS crap box death chamber coffin car. I buy a tank of fuel every two weeks. I almost invite you to put your kids into a box and hit me headon in a wreck, or from the side or anywhere else. Good gas milage won't bring your kids back to life.

I have little problem with the money stimulating business, providing jobs, and keeping inventory flowing and folks employed. My question is, 6-8 months ago, why couldn't the brainiacs in Washington see this back them BEFORE dumping billions into the auto makers and union pockets ? Which brings me full circle herem back to my orginal thoughts of why should I expect these fools to revamp my healthcare programs and expect a good outcome ? Can't run a CARS program successfully for 4 days, so let's give them controls over 1/7 th of America's whole economy ???

Where does anyone have a constitional right to dip their fingers into private industries businesses, and where does it say folks need to be given money to buy new cars ? Why is our government even in these areana ? Maybe when they can show us that they can get medicare costs under control and find a way to at least break even for the costs of medicare and social security, will I even think about voting to increase their involvement in my healthcare. I do not see that in my lifetime, not when they refuse to even put tort reform out on the table for discussion. Crooks cover Crooks behinds and taxpayers are foolish to continue to pay for it. The gang from Chicago is about to rape America bigtime. These guys make Bernie Madoff look like a saint. You better go buy some GE stock, and buy stocks in any of the big companies that pumped millions into turning a community organizer into the slickest salesman and mouth piece for the Chicago gang that ever existed. If you think these guys are looking out for you, you are an idiot.

Real reform will come at the hands of healthcare professional not politicians. But politicians can give them the tools they need to lower the costs, starting with tort reform, the bigggest single contributor to high costs.

We allready have better than 11% unemployment in this counrty.

Sassy Boy! PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Looter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
    looter, so your saying that just because right now some people are taking advantage of the system that we should make it so everyone can do that and make it just be easier? That really doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that people taking advantage of the system is a good thing??
    Heck no its not a good thing. I only mentioned it because it is a huge problem now and I don't think people realize it. Our County estimates that up to 80% of the population uses 911 as a primary healthcare outlet. And with Emergency services collecting less than 40% county wide, that tells me that we have a ton of system abusers here. And in no way do I think that is good...
    Dave "Looter" Hardenburger
    Firefightermedic.com - Finally, an easy answer!

PWCToday Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonriverrider View Post
    You left out the part where the dictionary implies that if you are coerced into doing something, you are doing it against your will; same with the word "compel." You're being deceptive and disingenous. Dont' beleive me? Here I'll copy and past it for you; from Websters:

Main Entry:co·erce
    Pronunciation:\kō-ˈərs\
    Function:transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s):co·erced; co·erc·ing
    Etymology:Middle English cohercen, from Anglo-French *cohercer Latin coercēre, from co- + arcēre to shut up, enclose — more at ark
    Date:15th century
    1 : to restrain or dominate by force <religion in the past has tried to coerce the irreligious — W. R. Inge>
    2 : to compel to an act or choice <was coerced into agreeing>
    3 : to achieve by force or threat <coerce compliance>
    synonyms see force

Main Entry:com·pel
    Pronunciation:\kəm-ˈpel\
    Function:transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s):com·pelled; com·pel·ling
    Etymology:Middle English compellen, from Anglo-French compeller, from Latin compellere, from com- + pellere to drive — more at felt
    Date:14th century
    1: to drive or urge forcefully or irresistibly <hunger compelled him to eat>
    2: to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure <public opinion compelled her to sign the bill>
    3archaic : to drive together

Webster also suggests that the synonym for Coerce is Force.

So once again I ask you: please explain to me how anyone was coerced/compelled to purchase a car by the government?
    no im not being deceptive. the reason that there are 3 different definitions listed is becuase that words sometimes have multiple meanings. coercion doesn't need to have force necisarly but many times it implies force to be used. many words in the english language have multiple meanings.
    Last edited by stingray152003; 08-03-2009 at 11:33 PM.

So which one of the three multiple meanings does not imply the use of force? Even the word "compel" implies the use of irresistible force.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information