Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi problems

Hello all!

I wish my first post here weren't a cry for help. I bought it used and am learning hard lessons. We had it on the lake and ran it for about 3 hours then tied it up in about three feet of water. After an hour or so we noticed it was taking on water. We lost the drain plug. I beached it and ran into town for a new plug. By the time I got back, they had a temporary rubber plug in place and had pumped the water out of the hull. I put the new drain plug in and tried to start it. It just makes a clunk sound. It won't even turn over. I pulled out the spark plugs and they were all wet, no gas smell on them. I left them out for a few hours hoping things would dry out. No luck. I tried to manually turn the drive shaft and cannot get it to rotate. I'd appreciate any thoughts or help.

I think they tried to start it prior to pumping out the water....

THANKS !

Re: 1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi problems

Whenever you've got water inside the engine, you MUST immediately pump out the water from it by removing plugs ONE AT AT TIME (for more pumping power) and cranking the egine.

Once the water is removed as much as possible, you MUST MAKE the engine running again to dissipate any moisture residue inside the engine.

If you already tried to start the engine without removing water, you might have bent the rod or twisted the crank.

If water inside the engine is not completly removed within the first 24 hours, rust/corrosion would have formed inside the engine, pitting on surface and locking it up eventually.

Get a fresh/charged battery and see if engine would crank over WITH ALL PLUGS REMOVED. And make sure nothing is wedged in the jetpump. If it still doesn't turn over, more than likely that something serious damage has occurred.
    Most ski problems are caused by the loose NUT connecting the handle bar to the seat.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi problems

Thanks for the reply. I will try the fresh battery and hope for the best!

I greatly appreciate your help!

Thread Information