User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2000 waverunner gp1200r cranks, wont start

2 weeks ago I tried to start my waverunner and it would not turn over, made no sound at all. The next day I took the battery to wal-mart, and after finding out it was dead, decided to just buy a new one since I had that one at least a couple years. That day I took the ski out and it started right up, but all I did was put the acid in the battery, and did not charge it at all, as I was told the battery came with a 75% charge.

I started and stopped the ski that day at least 10 times, and then at the end of the day I tried starting it and it began to turn over and then died mid ignition. Tried again, cranked for a second and then cut off. When I got home I put the battery on the charger and it was nearly dead, so I assumed that was the problem, but after fully charging the battery that night, I put it back in and it did the same crank then stop thing. Do I have an issue with my starter? Maybe a spark plug fouled? Anyone have any ideas?

Ive been reading around and have come across some threads discussing people's skis having low battery and needing to press the reset button and put a code in for it to start.. does that apply to my model of ski?

PWCToday Regular

Re: 2000 waverunner gp1200r cranks, wont start

The 'code' is for the older gp1200, pre year 2000. It's an annyoing feature that yamaha thankfully got rid of.

On the 2000 gpr, starting can be troublesome if battery is low. One thing to do is to check all of your battery cables. Clean up the battery leades and terminals with sandpaper. Make sure the leads are clamped to the battery very well. If this still doesn't help, try to jumper it on land with your car.

New plugs always help, but not with electrical issues.

When you try to start, does the center console come on?

do you have a meter? Check what the voltage drop is across the battery when you crank it. I have had a battery say it had a good 12 volts but as soon as I crank it the voltage drops. May be time for a battery. I have to change mine every year or two.
    There two dates of time they will put on your stone. But whats most important is the dash in between.
    Wet Velocity Racing #680
    Hefners Hideaway Kitchen, RIVA Support Team Rider, Steel MX Optics ,GoPro ,Aquacarts , AMSOIL

PWCToday Newbie

This is a brand new battery. I bought it from walmart the day the problem began.

PWCToday Newbie

And GPR, I'm not completely sure if I get dash readings when trying to start the ski, I will check when I get home.

I would still check the voltage drop in case you got a dud battery. I have had more problems that I chased for hours and it just ended up being the battery. There are a couple things to check. As stated before make sure you have a good connection on your battery. I have ran into this before. Next check the starter leads on the starter and make sure those are tight. After that there is a starter relay inside the electrical box. You may need to check to make sure you did not get water in there and it is corroded and that those connections are tight. You can jumper across it to see if it cranks if you feel comfortable doing that. Remove the plug wires though so it does not actually start. I have removed it before and hooked it up to 12 volts on a work bench to test. I would not worry about a spark plug. If a plug was bad it would crank but just not start.

P.S. You should always charge a new battery before it used even if they say it has a 75% charge.
    There two dates of time they will put on your stone. But whats most important is the dash in between.
    Wet Velocity Racing #680
    Hefners Hideaway Kitchen, RIVA Support Team Rider, Steel MX Optics ,GoPro ,Aquacarts , AMSOIL

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MikePeavler's Avatar

Sounds like your stator could be toast....time to get out the ohm meter and test it out.

M

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

My vote is a bad battery since it was not put into serviced properly. Get a meter out and when cranking it should not drop below 11V
    Providing service to all model Ski's in the Charlotte, Lake Wylie area.

Thread Information