Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frequent Poster

need advice ... lifting a jet ski

i will be painting my trailer and need to get the ski on it first. I have a industrial forklift available but i need to figure out a safe way to lift the ski on the trailer with the lift, and was wondering if it is ok to place the ski on the ground on its side on maybe a tarp. Will it bend the hull or damage anything if its laying on its side, i dont want to put pressure on the forklift for to long ...
    http://www.breezy1charters.com/image...ointmarina.jpg>

Re: need advice ... lifting a jet ski

Why not build a stand to hold it and just slide it off the trailer on to the stand?

Sliding it off the trailer on the ground/grass is ok. I once sold a ski and met the buyer near a lake to put the ski on his trailer. The lake was private and no one would let us us their ramp. We found a place and slide the ski off mine and then whenched it on his. No problem and there was only 2 of us. I would still try to buy or make a cart.
    2007 Yamaha FX-HO Cruiser Silver

I dream skis

Lift your PWC off the trailer with a sling attached to the Fork Lift. You can buy pre fab slings for exactly this purpose from a number of places pretty cheap. I rented a sling from a PWC dealer close by for the weekend for $15 which was better for me as I only had a need to use it one time. Better route if you only need it rarely.

However you can also rent PWC stands on wheels. I've done that too and simply lined up the stands bunks to my trailers, and then used the ratchet line on the stand to slide it over, off the trailer. This was better for me less to deal with compared to a forklift. Another option for you.
    Last edited by 4 Fun; 06-05-2009 at 03:24 PM.

PWCToday Guru

I build stands out of 2x4 and 2x6. Put the stand on castors. Set the stand height to the same height as the ski..

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home C-LO's Avatar

You may already know this, but just in case, remember that 90% of the ski's wieght is in the back half of the ski. So when you lift it, keep that in mind..
    IF YOU HAVE HATERS, THEN YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yamanube View Post
    This is hardly a PWC site, it is a loosely moderated sh*t show with a for sale section, a handfull of PWC enthusiasts, a few hundred people who own jetskis and a few dozen people who like to hear themselves talk.
    This is the internet: Where boys are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents...

R12X Macsboost Stage II ++
    R12X Stock
    SXR Stock

Quote Originally Posted by C-LO View Post
    You may already know this, but just in case, remember that 90% of the ski's wieght is in the back half of the ski. So when you lift it, keep that in mind..
    BUT if full, those 17 gallons of 93 octane weigh in pretty good too.

Jarrod

Provided that you won't need to use the forklift for lifting other things while you're painting the trailer, if you don't have any problems with leaking hydraulics, then you should be able to keep the ski on the forklift without any problems. If you're worried about leaking hydraulics, then lower the tines onto jackstands.
    Tim Allums <><
    96 Kawasaki STS
    97 Sea-Doo GSX- GroupK sleeper modded
    87 Kawasaki 650SX- slightly modded

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Squarenosed View Post
    Why not build a stand to hold it and just slide it off the trailer on to the stand?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
    I build stands out of 2x4 and 2x6. Put the stand on castors. Set the stand height to the same height as the ski..
    I built a wood stand and it's been pretty handy. We have a double trailer and sometimes I only need 1 ski, so I just slide the other ski on the stand.
    Lots of ideas and pictures on this thread:
    http://pwctoday.com/f11/show-us-your...ds-163583.html

PWCToday Newbie

I have used car tires many times with a smaller ski, just stack them to the correct height and slid ski on to tires, move trailer up and place tires under front of ski. if you use two or more people its even easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information