pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie
    NW United Kingdom (English Lake District)

Iridium Spark Plugs - Good? Bad? or Indifferent?

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of Iridium tipped spark plugs?
    Are they worth fitting in preference to normal plugs?

Re: Iridium Spark Plugs - Good? Bad? or Indifferent?

I had a set in my Banshee. I think they are B8EVX. I ran them about a year and I just put its plugs in my ski's engine because I didn't have any. Even after maybe 40-60 hours @ 40:1 Klotz in the banshee they still spark bright white in the ski. I think they were either $6 or $8 each.

Most late model cars come with iridium plugs from factory and are good for 100,000 miles. I doubt there is a single ski in the world that has that many hours on it.
    Last edited by bluebanshee; 06-02-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    95' Waveblaster
    95' FX1 FPP
    89' X-2 750 smallpin 771cc,Coffman pipe, waterbox, Tubbies, rule500, r&d toploader, d-cut plate, dual carbs, SS solas prop, shaved hood&gas door

Frequent Poster
    Blog Entries

dont waste your money. The iridium does nothing for any application where you see less than 60k miles. Do you ever get 60k miles on a jet ski? dont think so. But your plugs do foul up alot. Iridium does absolutely nothing to stop the plug from fouling. Buy 3 sets of normal plugs instead.

87' Js550 ~ rebuilt again with wiseco pistons and Halfpipe.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JBones View Post
    dont waste your money. The iridium does nothing for any application where you see less than 60k miles. Do you ever get 60k miles on a jet ski? dont think so. But your plugs do foul up alot. Iridium does absolutely nothing to stop the plug from fouling. Buy 3 sets of normal plugs instead.
    that information is ridiculous, sorry bro but it is !

Iridium plugs (as well as careful selection of heat range) are great for very high performance applications such as turbo charged cars. Not just a srt-4 (even though they will help that) but highly modified highly tuned turbo, n/a and nitrous inducted engine no matter what the application.

So if your ski has a very highly modified engine with high compression and is tuned on the edge for performance then these plugs will work much better for you. The lesser the modification the lesser the performance gain.

On that note grounding is very important to spark quality. Make sure your grounds are good.

For cars (which follows suit for all ICE's) there are grounding kits that significanlty increase spark power and reduce electrical draw and therefore increase power up to 15hp. This is not BS but proven by dynos.

Rant over, use em if you want, they will work great, just dont expect a miracle from good plugs in a stock engine.
    1990 440 hull w/550 motor. Bored, milled head, ported by me, sbn44 w/JRE spacer and port matched manifold/spacer/intake ports, ocean pro vortex f/a. 440 exh manifold, kerker short pipe, mariner water box, rear exit exhaust. Solas 15.5 prop, blue-printed 550 pump by me, PJS top loader, PJS ride plate, nose brace, diamond hydro-turf, rule 500 bilge, ocean pro kwik-turn, aftermarket bars
    -45mph on pretty choppy bay water, paced by a couch...I know I know, just havent got the GPS out yet!

a four stroke auto engine won't foul plugs like a two stroke marine engine will. When I changed the plugs in my jeep, they didn't look like they had ever been touched. It had ~120,000 miles on it at the time and the plugs were actually okay. just old. Iridium is a metal that is very hard and corrosion resistant...that may lead to plugs lasting longer. but it's like buying expensive trash bags- yeah they're probably good but you just throw them away in the end. I go with regular ngk's and I'm happy. my two cents.

Ive been running Irdium in all my two stokes for the past few years, jetskis, sleds, and bikes. Their great plugs, you can feel a crisper throttle response in the lower end. I wouldnt recommend them if your having tuning issues since your jus gonna foul em and their pricey..my .2$
    87 X2- SP 750, 44sbn, westcoast head, factory b-pipe, sj limited chamber, sxr 13/18 swirl ,R&D stuffer, freestyle trim.
    87 X2 -650

The iridium plug electrodes are MUCH smaller. Not sure if that helps with fouling or not. If its tuned right it shouldn't be fouling anyway.

A stock trx450r quad comes with iridium plugs from factory.
    95' Waveblaster
    95' FX1 FPP
    89' X-2 750 smallpin 771cc,Coffman pipe, waterbox, Tubbies, rule500, r&d toploader, d-cut plate, dual carbs, SS solas prop, shaved hood&gas door

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bluebanshee View Post
    The iridium plug electrodes are MUCH smaller. Not sure if that helps with fouling or not. If its tuned right it shouldn't be fouling anyway.

A stock trx450r quad comes with iridium plugs from factory.

true that. the NGK ix have a .6mm electode and the denso's have a .4mm. This is supposed to focus the apark to create a stronger spark. They work great in high performance apps.

But as many said, its up to you. I will run some once my engin is tuned in perfectly.
    1990 440 hull w/550 motor. Bored, milled head, ported by me, sbn44 w/JRE spacer and port matched manifold/spacer/intake ports, ocean pro vortex f/a. 440 exh manifold, kerker short pipe, mariner water box, rear exit exhaust. Solas 15.5 prop, blue-printed 550 pump by me, PJS top loader, PJS ride plate, nose brace, diamond hydro-turf, rule 500 bilge, ocean pro kwik-turn, aftermarket bars
    -45mph on pretty choppy bay water, paced by a couch...I know I know, just havent got the GPS out yet!

Quote Originally Posted by JBones View Post

WRONG!!!!!!!! You clearly have no idea what the iridium plugs do. They do resist fouling an create a stronger spark. Thats why they are more expensive, obviously there's better componets in them. They work excellent, i run them in my ski an used to also run themn in my Banshee as well which was a stroked motor running on alcohol. I guarantee if you run regular plugs vs iridium plugs in the same motor, the standard plugs will foul first.

resident guru

they are definately harder to foul. i have been running them for over a year through tuning and rich conditions.they also are way better with water ingestion. i have sunk my ski enough times in the surf and the regular plugs suck. the iridium keep firing even when wet. i wont run anything else anymore well worth the extra $$.

Thread Information