Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VTS Bypass Fix

Re: VTS Bypass Fix

Here is a copy of the instructions I found.

Relay Seadoo

Blue/Black Green/Orange (VTS Motor)
    Brown/Black Black (Ground)
    Violet/Black (fused) Red (power)
    Green/Black Blue/Orange (VTS Motor)
    White/Black Black (Ground)
    (Small Wires)
    Red Purple (VTS switches)
    Blue Blue/White (VTS switches)
    Green Green/white (VTS switches)

If your 451m relay has a solid voilet wire, it is not used.

Keep the brown wires hooked to the VTS module in order to keep your gauge working. Its that simple, I used bullet connectors. Took a plastic baby food container and put the relay in it and injected it with silicone, let it dry and zip tied/piggy backed it to the VTS box.

No pictures should be needed, its not hard to do at all. If you are not sure just send it to me and I will put it together for you. I'm a cheap date.
    Last edited by Koerbs; 05-28-2009 at 11:17 PM.

PWCToday Regular

Very cool, thanks for the info. Can't wait til my relays get here so I can hook her up. Some people say the vts doesn't make much difference on the x4 hull but to me it really does.

Once again, helpful people make this site a must for anyone who owns an older seadoo!

i'm not so smart. a picture would really help me out. ALOT. any chance on a snap shot?

well theres about 20 diferent listings on ebay. some are 4 bucks, some are 20. all are the same 451M relay. what one should i buy? some seem way too cheap, and others seem way too expensive.

I bought one of the cheap ones and it works as described above. I haven't connected a motor yet but the voltage goes plus 12 and minus 12 just like it needs to.

BTW, if anyone can find any info on relay # mcl-112d2h, there are two of those in the module. I have heard that this module was supposed to sense the increase in current and automatically open if you overtravel the VTS. The look like simple relays to me.

PWCToday Regular

Yah, I was kind of assuming that this solution had a current sense cutoff built in but after researching the literature I can find I don't think this is the case.
    Koerbs, have you rode much since you did this? I am wondering how sensitive the system is if you hold the button too long - will it cause mechanical damage to the worm or motor or blow fuses?? I am not so concerned with myself, more friends that ride the ski. My relay just showed up, I paid $10 for 2 of them and I will get it installed this week, hopefully test this weekend if weather cooperates.

Quote Originally Posted by blazerman View Post
    It still blows me away that nobody has put together a canned assembly with the relay and a set of comprehensive instructions and sold them on ebay.
    A guy on this board (Maczilla) is/was working on this very thing. Last time I talked to him he was just waiting on harnesses then he was going to sell them. Hope he's still on it.

would the gauge still work?

PWCToday Regular

OK, I got my relays and spend a few minutes trying to install last night but no love. I have tested the motor direct to battery, works fine. What year seadoo did you install this in Koerbs?? I am working on a 96XP and am trying to put the relay in at the old module area.

I cut the blk/red power pigtail that goes from the coil box to the old module off, checked for 12V (OK) and connected as follows: SD red/vt to RLY purple/wht; SD blk to RLY bn/blk & wht/blk

I removed a section of the sleeve and exposed the wire bundle that goes from the front of the ski to the old module and cut open the purple/wht, blu/wht, and grn/wht wires, left the rest connected. I then connected the switch wires coming from the handlebars as follows: SD purple/wht to RLY red, SD blu/wht to RLY blu, and SD grn/wht to RLY grn.

I then opened up the motor housing and cut the ends off of the motor leads and connected them as follows: SD grn/org to RLY blu/blk and SD blu/org to RLY grn/blk

I checked for 12V and I have it but I have nothing coming out of the VTS leads from the relay in any polarity. Did I miss something (maybe bad relay?) Can you hear or feel a click when the relay changes state normally?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information