• Show
Clear All
  • SURFnTURF
    Top Dog
    • Sep 2004

Re: 951 bearing noise??

Originally posted by laylo27300 View Post
    Friction Seal band???

can you show me a picture of one I havent ever seen anyhting like that guess you learn something new everyday.
    They are orings that run around the outer bearing shell that when installed inside the cases stop the bearings from spinning like the pin locaters do. When torqued together the cases squeeze against the o ring and form a friction ring.

Comment

• bbigfish
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Apr 2007

yep. put o-ring in snap ring groove of bearing. Normally, thermal expansion is enough to hold the outer ring of the bearing in the cases. But because of impact loading in a PWC( pump in and out of water) bearings will try and spin in case.
      Thanks to:
      My family &
      Friends

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
        Tech Guru
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by laylo27300 View Post
        Friction Seal band???

can you show me a picture of one I havent ever seen anyhting like that guess you learn something new everyday.
        Some bearings use an oring in an oring groove to act as friction to keep a bearing from spinning, and some bearings have a flat rubber-like material embeded into the outer diameter of the bearing race to keep them from spinning, just look at older Kawasaki, Yamaha Japenese bearings, for instance. Rotax is one of the few who use pins

Some just use green loc-tite. ( aka, bearing locker ) between the bearing race and the main bearing journals.

In fact, when we were building the Rotax 670 snomobile motors and stuffing them into Sea Doo in the early nineties, we had big problems with the locater pins breaking off ( excessive detonation in the motors ) so we worked on lessening the detonation, and we installed the bearings without the pns in them, using geen Loc-Tite.
        Last edited by Watercraft Magic; 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM.
        email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

• laylo27300
          I dream skis
          • Mar 2007

awesome, what if you took the pins off and used honda or yama bond.

do you think that would work?

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
            Tech Guru
            • Feb 2004

No way. That suff takes up too much space.
            email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

• Rconce01
              PWCToday Guru
              • Mar 2007

I know this thread is almost 10 years old but I need your input. I think I may be on the same situation with a rebuilt crank I bought. Whats your opinion on this?

Pistons look good motor has less than a couple hours since I built it. I confirmed its not the rods or the pistons. The sound comes from the front deep in the motor. When turning it by hand it will only do it if at least one of the pistons starts compression. Power is good. The mix is good ,pistons cylinders and compression are all good. Can this be a bad bearing??

Comment

Working...
              X