pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

ZXI 1100 questions (compression, how to keep KATS working)

Hi, new the the forum, hopefully soon to be owner of a Kawasaki ZXI 1100. I just checked out a 1998 Kawasaki ZXI 1100. Compression was 100, 110, 110, respectively. Did each cylinder 3 times as well and was the exact same reading each time. Is this ok? I know it should be within 10% of each other (which it is) but seems just a tad bit low, was hoping for around 120? I read somewhere on here that appropriate pressure is between 95-151 per FSM (which I will need to pick up).

The ski itself is in good shape, no rips or tears, KATS works fine, all new hoses, all electrical connectors either look new or not corroded at all - for this I was suprised. Starts right up too. It is some guy's son's ski so he just wants to unload it right now willing to take $1300 with the trailer too.

So I'm thinking maybe I'll need a new top end eventually but if it'll run for a season or two I'd be ahead of the game...any opinions?

I'd also like to know how to keep the KATS working - I read something about drilling a hole in housing to let water drain, any other ideas? Thanks!

PWCToday Newbie

Re: ZXI 1100 questions (compression, how to keep KATS working)

As for as the KATS – don’t drill a hole in it this will cause water to get in – you can pull the box out with the cable attached by removing the flame arrestors and top cover. Open the box and clean if necessary and remove any moisture. Then sill it up with silicon – at the end of the season- when you winter it – repeat it. The key to a working KATS is keeping the water out of it.

Also - do a search for the manual - I've seen them on this site - If you can't find it - send me a private meassage with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Hope this helps.

Re: ZXI 1100 questions (compression, how to keep KATS working)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
    As for as the KATS – don’t drill a hole in it this will cause water to get in – you can pull the box out with the cable attached by removing the flame arrestors and top cover. Open the box and clean if necessary and remove any moisture. Then sill it up with silicon – at the end of the season- when you winter it – repeat it. The key to a working KATS is keeping the water out of it.
    +1. Did the same with my trim box in my ZXi.

Your compression should be fine, at $1300 if everything is working good thats a good deal. (I wish I would have done my price research before buying mine last summer )
    When I checked my compression last season I beleive it was around 115. Youll need a new top end eventually but that should last your at least 2 years if you take care of it. If it looks good go for it. Then post that you got it so we can give you some new owner advice.
    good luck.

-CUBE-

96 900 ZXi: Stock - Premix, Extended Nozzle, Worx Sponsons, Rule Bilge. I miss you.
    99 Ultra 150 - Worx Sponsons, R&D Extension, Aquavein Grate, Hydroturf, Triple Pisser, FastFlow. My Baby for sale here.

Thread Information