Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ethanol proposal

I'll be you guys wouldn.t complain if it was nitromethane instead!

RT

PWCToday Regular

ethanol has been in fuel since the mid 80's. in some states "unleaded plus" by law must have 10% ethanol in it to increase the octane level and many fuel stations add 10% to regular unleaded as a filler, its cheaper than straight gasoline and nobody can tell the difference. ever wonder why some stations have "plus" cheaper than "regular" or even the same price?. it does ruin some rubber fuel lines from the 90's but we've been dealing with it for years now, manufactures should know how to combat it by now.

SO uh, can we swap out for plastics and rubbers that are not eaten by this and once the phaseseperation happens, what do we do with the bad fuel ? siphon out the water, save the gas and drink the alcohol? LOL

Extreme Ski Products Innovations

Anything under 10% doesn't cause a problem with corrosion. Over 10% causes quite a few problems. It also takes more fuel to make alcohol from corn than it saves.
    '99 STX 1100/1200 triple pipe, 48 NOVI's, Cold Fusion head, ported, Kaw race ign, Skat pump, drop nozzle, light seat, carbon hood; '97 STX 1100 Cold Fusion head, ported, modded stock exhaust, timing advance; '86 X2 Westcoast pipe, WC 180 psi head, 38 dual Mikunis, ported, MSD; '87 X2 Kerker manifold, PJS pipe, PJS 190 psi head, dual 38's; '87 X2 stock w/ 44 carb, pontoons; '89 SX 650; '95 X2 750 project; Johnny O's supercharger; 650 MRD fuel injection, must sell enough to keep wife happy.

PWCToday Newbie

Hmm, some people have been reading the same crap that got the bill proposed in the first place. Having had to deal with the results of ethanol at work (I fix boats) I can tell you that an old motor can be fitted with a new carb kit and fuel lines and run quite happily on E10 which loves to eat all the older types of rubber and the coating on cork floats and various other things. Its another cost on the owner but its do-able. The ads that say you will have more power with ethanol baffle me though since the same amount of gas yields far more energy than ethanol so to do the same work you have to burn more ethanol so there goes any mileage or cost arguements too. The biggest irritation from ethanol in the marine industry was already mentioned, or at least the result, phase seperation, was. Ethanol LOVES to attract moisture right out of the air even and bond with it which then happily seperates from the gas. As you can imagine a completely vented fuel system on a craft floating on water has an endless supply of moisture evaporating away for it to work with. The result is a liquid that doesn't burn mixed with gas that is now a super low octane unsuitable for the engine since the ethanol was a major octane boost. So you can't even pull the water out and use the rest. Plus it forms this amazing clear jello in the carburetors float bowls that dries to a crusty white powder when you pour off the old gas and expose it to air which clogs everything up. With the proper parts added and a very knowlegable owner doing all the right things E10 is fine, meanwhile in reality its a freaking mess.

PWCToday Regular

pm sent to steph about bill introduced protecting against introduction of E15 without scientific support.

PWCToday Newbie

Ethanol is a total ADM farmers' coop scam. It harms the environment more making it and distributing it than any help. Ethanol has about half the BTU's gasoline has much worse MPG. Total rip off!

I run my hydro S4 on 30-40% alcohol fuel, it runs great. Had it apart recently & everything looked fine. My SXR loved it as well.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ryanr's Avatar

i spoke to the mgr of a local repair shop and was told that 85-90% of the sevice calls for check engine lights were due to the crappy ethanol blends. he also stated that they have had to replace many intake gaskets and rebuild injector pumps from the same . sure, it's great for the service techs pocket books. what about the people who have to pay for repairs due to this blended sh**? if i wanted to run booze in my car, i would fill the tank before leaving the bar.it's getting to the point that it may cost less than filling at the station.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ryanr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    I'll be you guys wouldn.t complain if it was nitromethane instead!

RT
    40% nitromethane runs about $45/gal but worth every penny ( for running rc's. )unfortunate that it also kills alum. parts. running a jet with a glow motor would cost a fortune.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information