User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Florida Age Change for PWC

As reported by the AP Tallahassee: The Florida Senate voted 19-15 NOT to raise the age to 16 from 14 to operate PWC in the state of Florida!

The bill was defeated and called "senseless" during debate. This bill was presented with it only being applied to Florida residents, out of state teens would still be allowed to operate watercraft at 14. This bill was offered by Democratic Senator Nan Rich, who said she was trying to save lives.

Please educate yourself with the laws of your state for watercraft operation, some states require boating safety courses and testing to allow the younger operators of watercraft. Always think of safety FIRST when you go boating! Support AWA and any other association that watches out for safe and smart boating regulations.

The boating safety courses that are offered are very interesting and most train you in navigation skills that work even when your GPS batteries die!

JETSKIING IS NOT A CRIME...RIDE SAFE!
    Course Marshal Randy
    See you at the races.

Class Clown PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home thajeffski's Avatar

Re: Florida Age Change for PWC

I dunno......isnt there a reason it's 16 to drive a car??

Yes it is....to drive a motor vehicle on public roads with millions of other cars!

What does that have to do with a young person wanting to drive around in a 5hp jon boat in the river? I am in favor of allowing junior navagators have thier time on the water with out being in fear of breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Racing View Post
    Yes it is....to drive a motor vehicle on public roads with millions of other cars!

What does that have to do with a young person wanting to drive around in a 5hp jon boat in the river? I am in favor of allowing junior navagators have thier time on the water with out being in fear of breaking the law.
    I hear ya. On the water...off the street!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seats's Avatar

Thank heavens.......

i say let them ride! you dont have to be 16 to ride a yz 65....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar

my daughter, who just turned 16, has been riding for two years, I have no issue with it FOR THE RIGHT KID, not every 14 year old has the maturity on the water to be clear headed if a spot of trouble turns up, (vs a nice quiet lake where they can just zoom around) I still remember cringing a little and having my heartbeat accelerate when I watched my daughter navigate a tricky spot where we had currents coming in from 3 directions in moderate chop and we were navigating around a couple of good sized boats heading the other direction. We went through it fine but at that very moment is was thinking... "wtf did I do when I let her get her permit ?" Now a year later, she doesn't hesitate to head right into the surf ! and this summer she'll probably be taking some 40 mile river runs as i've gradually let her have a little more freedom on the ski.
    So in general I think kids should learn, under safe and controlled circumstances and it introduces young people to our sport and boating in general. The water is a wonderful (but dangerous) place to enjoy by pwc or boat.
    and besides, isn't there a 16 year old circumnavigating the globe in a sailboat right now ?

and i'm glad the State didn't move the age up.
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

I would rather sit than quit...

Support AWA to petition to reduce the riding age to 12 as in most other states including our neighbor to the North, Georgia. I started riding snowmobiles & stand up skis in NH when I was 8 years old, began power boats by 10. Our daughter is 10, been driving on her own since her 10th birthday, started out 2 years prior with us on the ski teaching, monitoring & coaching. Although she is not allowed by state law to operate PWC in FL, when in private waters she has her time. She is looking at racing already along with her mother, we have 10 year old freestyle riders winning championships already. Our son is 8, he drives with us on the ski, he will be ready by age 10 also. The larger more powerful skis are definately not for kids but the 600cc - 700cc 2/3 seaters, perfect for starters. Just like with anything, if you grow up doing it and you learn to respect it, your maturity & ability will increase. Both our kiddos ride ATV's & Dune Buggies, drive golf carts and can load/off load a ski on a trailer, back us on to a trailer, etc. again, it's all in the up bringing We live to ride, no other way for us.......
    JETSKI JUNKIES USA(JJUSA)
    www.iwannajetski.com
    Facebook & YouTube
    AWA, BoatsUS

Thread Information