User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Kawa Triple w/CV carb Primer Install with Pics

OK i just got through installing a primer kit on my 1100STX w/CV carbs. I bought a single carb primer kit for $20 shipped off ebay. I then ordered some extra fittings (for R/C airplane engines) from Tower hobbies. All this was ordered X2 because i still have a STX900 to put a kit on too. All toll for both cost was $58(i'm a tight wad & didn't want to spend the extra for 2-3 carbs kits vs. buying your stuff individually).

I fashioned a backet from some scrap i had in the junk pile so i could install the primer pump on the engine & not in the dash (so i could still use the chokes). I then used some thru hull fuel fittings (they come in the fuel tee kits from Tower Hobbies) & drilled a small hole in the side of each vinyl/rubber carb barrel. These fittings have a barb on them that allow you to press fit the hull fitting into the side of each barrel with no fear of them coming loose. I mounted the pump on the flame arrestor & tapped into the incoming fuel line. My 1100 hadn't been started in 2 weeks,...3 pumps & she fired rightaway. Monies well spent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Kawa Triple w/CV carb Primer Install with Pics

I like your installation. I was just about to order my kits X 2 for my ZXI 1100s and was going to look around under the seat to see if there was an alternate means of mounting everything. Since it's pretty much a once a day thing and they only need priming when cold and have been sitting for a time, it's not a big deal to pull up the seat and give it a squirt rather than have it on the dash. Also like the idea of not having to remove the choke hardware.

Good stuff.

Thanks.

Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea.

PWCToday Newbie

just bought a wrecked 900zxi to fix up one of mine,it had a kit on it,didnt look as good as your set up,going to convert over
    my other two skis,one i got goes through the top of the cover

Either way is fine, i just figured "what the hell" i had the thru-hull fittings so i figured i'd use them for the sides of the barrel vs. drilling the top of the flame arrestor.

PWCToday Newbie

Bump...I have a '98 1100 STX, also a PITA to start.

Anyway, pardon my ignorance, but would something like this do the trick?

Basically just tee off the fuel inlet line, drill a hole in each rubber carb barrel, plumb it and call it a day?

TIA guys...

Quote Originally Posted by High PSI View Post
    Bump...I have a '98 1100 STX, also a PITA to start.

Anyway, pardon my ignorance, but would something like this do the trick?

Basically just tee off the fuel inlet line, drill a hole in each rubber carb barrel, plumb it and call it a day?

TIA guys...
    Yes...it does the trick! Since installing on both of my stxs.... i've had no problems getting em' to start. They may spudder & run like crap for a few seconds but within 4-5 seconds they either smooth out or die. If they die,...i just get em a couple of more shots then they start & stay running after that. They are good for the day after that. This really saves the batteries since i don't have to crank on em for more than 5-6 seconds to fire em' up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 1100 STX Stock
    -------------------------------------------
    Pre-mix, Fuel Primer & keyed battery disconnect installed

2000 900 STX Stock

Top Dog

I installed the primer pump in the little storage box in front of the seat. I put it on the backside so the nipples point towards the motor. The main fuel supply is directly under it. I also had no fittings to put in the airbox sleeves, so I drilled smaller holes than the primer line lower than where the screen sits and just pulled the hose thru a tad. The hole being smaller keeps the hose in place, and no problems yet. I also don't have to woryy about anything dropping into the carbs by just sticking the hose into the tubes. I know it's tacky..but! BTW, if you use the normal 1/4 fuel line-1/8 primer line brass-T, make sure you drill out the 1/4" section to the same diameter of the fuel line or a tad bigger. I did this using four different drill bits.

I dream skis

Ok, ya'll got me going now!

I would like to put a primer on my 1998 1100zxi. Instead of drilling holes in those 13.00 rubber boots. I just bought 3 of them. Would it be ok to drill a hole in the top of the flame arrestor cover and just run a few inches of hose down the shaft of the rubber boots. That would squirt fuel down on the choke plate and carb. opening.

I would mount my primer somewhere close to the engine and connect to the inlet fuel line.

Also, guys, SBT sells primer kits. Anybody ever use them. What is the best source to buy from????

Thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dave View Post
    Ok, ya'll got me going now!

I would like to put a primer on my 1998 1100zxi. Instead of drilling holes in those 13.00 rubber boots. I just bought 3 of them. Would it be ok to drill a hole in the top of the flame arrestor cover and just run a few inches of hose down the shaft of the rubber boots. That would squirt fuel down on the choke plate and carb. opening.

I would mount my primer somewhere close to the engine and connect to the inlet fuel line.

Also, guys, SBT sells primer kits. Anybody ever use them. What is the best source to buy from????

Thanks David
    Drilling atop the flame arrestor would work. Would you insert the tubing directly into the holes & forgo any fittings..you would just rely on the tight fit of the tubing to hold them in place? Another thing to consider would be - would the tubing get in the way when removing the flame arrestor? I suppose you could just pull the tubing out of the holes if they were just pressed into them?

2nd can't comment on SBTs primers. I bought mine off ebay. It looks as if 90% of all the primer kits sold off the net use the same cheap pump...it's the additional fittings that cost more(brass ones anyway)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 1100 STX Stock

2000 900 STX Stock

I dream skis

I was thinking about using 1/4 copper water line and getting some brass fittings at home depot or lowes and run copper lines 3 or 4 inched down into the rubber boot. So, the coppper line would be just above the choke plate. Is 1/4 line too big????

I would want the fittings to be secured to the cover very well. i guess you could epoxy it.

Do the primer pumps have three holes so you run one to each carb. or one hole and you tee off of the one line and then run three lines to the carbs???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information