Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Yamaha SUV 1200 Premix Conversion

I have a 2000 Yamaha SUV that I want to convert to premix. I purchased a block off kit from SBT which just arrived. Any step by step directions out there? Advice / tips welcome. I have rebuilt car motors, carburetors etc... but limited experience working on skis.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: Yamaha SUV 1200 Premix Conversion

Unbolt pump,remove oil lines from carbs,disconnect the oil sending unit wires,remove hose clamp on oil fill hose,remove complete tank & everything at once.

Install oil blockoff plate,join the two oil tank wires together (this will make the guage read full) blue/black wires. Mix your gas at 40 to 1 & your set.
    Mikuni Carb Service/////////Offering Repairs on all Mikuni Carbs///Cleaning/Rebuilds/Freeing up Sticking Throttle Shafts & Accel Pump Repairs

PM for Info. 25 Years Experience

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ZMANN's Avatar

Yup 40 to 1 is safe! that pump can only do 50 to 1 wot and 50 to 1 is the approved premix rate but I run my 1200's and all my ski's and lawn equip at 40 to 1 without any fouling issues ( not saying that is ok for all ski's)
    you can also leave the oil tank if you want and pull the sender and ziptie the floats so they don't bottom out , this way it can be returned to stock if need be ps you will want to pull the throttle cable actuator also
    http://www.pwctoday.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15348&dateline=1238301767

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the advice! Are either of you familiar with the SUV and what needs to be removed to make getting to the carbs and pump the easiest?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

The carbs are right in your face,pull on the lines they will come off,if you cant see the oil pump you are blind......
    Mikuni Carb Service/////////Offering Repairs on all Mikuni Carbs///Cleaning/Rebuilds/Freeing up Sticking Throttle Shafts & Accel Pump Repairs

PM for Info. 25 Years Experience

pull the carb cover and base to access the carbs and the oil pump is dead center in front of the engine

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks guys! Conversion is complete. I also capped off the open ports on the carbs where the old oil lines were attached.

Frequent Poster

I all so have the block off kit.The primer too.I need help from ZMANN...Over the winter i have been leaking oil from the bottom of the SUV.

I'm not trying to steal a thread, but I've been trying to find out whether or not leaving the pump, lines etc in tact would mess anything up.

When I bought the 97GP last year the premix "conversion" was already done, except that the only thing that was done was....nothing really. The guy just started premixing and left the pump, lines throttle cable etc attached and lost the oil tank cap.

Are there any potentially detrimental possibilities doing it this way?
    1997 Yamaha GP 1200 (760 hull)

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, U.S. Navy

well leaving the pump is basically lazy ,, no offense

and oil in the hull is basically scary if it isn't a premix ski

but pulling up a 2 year old thread

guys feel free to start a new one
    Last edited by ZMANN; 04-23-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information