• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cosworthspeed10
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Mar 2009

650sx compression

Hi,
    Just done a compression test on my 650sx this afternoon. 125 and 135psi were the readings. Is this pressure acceptable for a stock ski or not? I have just done a rebuild on the ski to clean the engine and powder coat it. I put a new gasket set and crank seals on the engine. The bore's looked like new so I didn't put new rings on.

Is it possible to machine the stock head and if so how much do i need to take off to increase compression to arround 165-70psi?

Thanks Guys, sorry for all questions!
  • ScatteredFormat
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jun 2008

Re: 650sx compression

costworth, my stock 650 was running 130 both holes, i sent the head out the get milled .020 and am getting it back today, if you want ill post my data

Comment

• cosworthspeed10
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Mar 2009

Yes, please report the results!

Comment

• u887266
        Frequent Poster
        • Nov 2008

If it was me and I might be wrong, but if you rering the engine I would run the engine first to let the rings get set in and also let the engine heat up, then take the compression check. More then likely you will get a different reading.

Comment

• cosworthspeed10
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Mar 2009

I Didn't put new rings in, so they should already be bed in. I have checked the compression also while the engine is hot!

Comment

• ScatteredFormat
            PWCToday Regular
            • Jun 2008

well, head is on, but i just happen to loose the tourque wrench adapter so i think they are around 14 or 15ft lbs right now and the psi is dissapointingly the same

Comment

• cosworthspeed10
              PWCToday Newbie
              • Mar 2009

That don't make sense! You have reduced the volume so compression must be higher?

Comment

• ScatteredFormat
                PWCToday Regular
                • Jun 2008

i know! idk what the deal is.. i picked up the head..ran down and picked up a gasket......bolted it down to about 14ftlbs and it was 130.. i highly doubt tourquing it down the 22ftlbs is going to change the psi at all..

Comment

• ljbarryiv
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Apr 2008

I put new pistons in and honed the cylinders in my stock ski with standerd bore 87 650sx. Before brake in it was 145psi in each. I think 130 is a little low. You may want to rebuild. I haven't checked it yet but I bet its close to 150 now.
                  Last edited by ljbarryiv; 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• 64coupe
                    PWCToday Guru
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ScatteredFormat View Post
                    i know! idk what the deal is.. i picked up the head..ran down and picked up a gasket......bolted it down to about 14ftlbs and it was 130.. i highly doubt tourquing it down the 22ftlbs is going to change the psi at all..

What was the head gasket you picked up? Did you have an after market one on there before the milling that was thinner? Just a thought?

Comment

• ScatteredFormat
                      PWCToday Regular
                      • Jun 2008

i had a stock one on before the mil, and i bought a stock one for after the mil

Comment

• perryak
                        PWCToday Guru
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ljbarryiv View Post
                        I put new pistons in and honed the cylinders in my stock ski with standerd bore 87 650sx. Before brake in it was 145psi in each. I think 130 is a little low. You may want to rebuild. I haven't checked it yet but I bet its close to 150 now.
                        Sounds a bit low to me too. I recently put a high compression head on my 650sx. Before i put it on the motor was totally stock, and compression was 165 per hole. I replaced with the same size gasket, now its 200 psi per hole. I admit I have a cheapo compression tester and the numbers might not be spot on, but they should be close.
                        '91 650sx - skat trac 15°, rend plate/scoop grate, stock exhaust mod, drilled water box
                        '92 550/650 conversion - boyesen reeds, stock exhaust mod, solas 14/19, OP big bore nozzle, WW freestyle cone, tri-scoop grate, OP skegged plate
                        '96 Waveraider 700 - Just a couch

Comment

• ljbarryiv
                          PWCToday Regular
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by perryak View Post
                          Sounds a bit low to me too. I recently put a high compression head on my 650sx. Before i put it on the motor was totally stock, and compression was 165 per hole. I replaced with the same size gasket, now its 200 psi per hole. I admit I have a cheapo compression tester and the numbers might not be spot on, but they should be close.
                          The 87 I have was totaly stock with stock head at 145psi. I have a 91 that I rebuilt as well which has a stock milled head thats at 180psi. 130psi is really low for a stock 650. I would rebuild the top end I think when they where new they were like 160psi.
                          Last edited by ljbarryiv; 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• ScatteredFormat
                            PWCToday Regular
                            • Jun 2008

so i finished putting everything together today, and i charged the battery.....(mistake much?) and i got 150 per hole. so started with 130, mil .020 result 150.
                            so, a .020 mil will give you 20psi, so i guess you could assume .010 would give 10psi and so fourth...

Comment

• cosworthspeed10
                              PWCToday Newbie
                              • Mar 2009

What do people suggest then, New rings and hone or pistons too?

Comment

Working...
                              X