User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homemade Extended Nozzle Build (ZXi)

Ok. I finally got around to making my extended nozzle yesterday, so Im typing up my build today. Hopefully it can help other who want to do the same, I know its a common idea. First, I used the help of this thread to do it:
    http://pwctoday.com/f16/96-zxi-1100-...le-136338.html

Parts needed (for MY version):
    3"- 4" Soil Pipe Lowes $6.83
    3 SS 5/16"x1" Allen Bolts
    3 SS 5/16" Washers
    3 SS 5/16" Locking Nuts
    And tools!

I started with this soil pipe. It was already sized perfectly, as the thicker part fit (very tightly) around the nozzle end, and the smaller part had the same diameter as the nozzle.

However, there were two problems with this peice. First, it needed to be cut to size, as you can see from the second picture above. Also, on the inside there was a wall at the interesection of the thicker and thinner parts of the tube that had a smaller diameter that the nozzle. This picture is looking into the part that water will eventually come out of, from the outside in. This wall would have been a major issue.

So I used a dremel and a few different types of dirll bits to smooth it out. Its far from perfect, but should be ok, Im hoping. this picture was taken about halfway through that process...

Next I had to cut the actual piece to size, after a few complicated measurements I found my mark and cut her open. As you can see I cut it a little shorter than I wanted based on the pencil marks on the nozzle, but not too bad.

(CONTD)

96 900 ZXi: Stock - Premix, Extended Nozzle, Worx Sponsons, Rule Bilge. I miss you.
    99 Ultra 150 - Worx Sponsons, R&D Extension, Aquavein Grate, Hydroturf, Triple Pisser, FastFlow. My Baby for sale here.

Re: Homemade Extended Nozzle Build (ZXi)

After that the rest was pretty easy. The hardest part of the entire process was getting correct measurements. I did have to buy a second Soil Pipe as I cut the first one WAY wrong. The lip on the inside of the pipe does not match the lip on the outside of the pipe, so my cut was...well...not completely correct.

Heres the parts I used, and their cost.

I used three holes, one being directly at the top of the nozzle, and the other 2 spaced evenly around (bottom left and bottom right).

Here are a few pictures of my results. The actual extension portion of the pipe is 1.5 inches. As you can see in the pic below I could not get the tip of the nozzle to match flush against the beginning of the extension. The gap is approximately 2-3mm Id say. Im hoping that space wont cause any turbulance in the water flow.

This picture was taken before the bolts were put in:

These pics are of the final product but I have not put the washers or the locking nuts on yet.

Most the time I see this done it is with a straight peice of PVC pipe. However, with that you will need to sand out an entire area that the nozzle will fit into. With this soil pipe I was able to avoid that entire sanding, and limit it to just about 1cm instead of 6-7cm. I will definately post results once I get her in the water. Im hoping that will be Wednesday. If you have any questions or need additional info, hit me up! I'd be glad to help.

-CUBE-
    Last edited by cube21; 03-30-2009 at 09:29 PM.

96 900 ZXi: Stock - Premix, Extended Nozzle, Worx Sponsons, Rule Bilge. I miss you.
    99 Ultra 150 - Worx Sponsons, R&D Extension, Aquavein Grate, Hydroturf, Triple Pisser, FastFlow. My Baby for sale here.

staying tuned
    <---Head stand on a 550.

Cube., what performance gains are you looking to get out of your nozzle mod??

Quote Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
    Cube., what performance gains are you looking to get out of your nozzle mod??
    My main purpose was to help with porpoising and the trim variation.
    Ive also heard it can help with control, acceleration, and top speed as well. Of course, this is all if it is done right and has the right length of extension. Im not sure how good mine will work.

-CUBE-

Last edited by cube21; 04-03-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Took it out yesterday. When I went to put it on the ski, I realized a very minor change was needed. The bolt at the top of the nozzle, when the trim was up, pressed against the underside of the rear turf. I just had to cut a small space in the rubber to give the nozzle room to move.

Other than at it took 20 seconds to install.

Performance-wise, it didnt help quite as much as I would have liked. I assume a longer extension would help more, but Its not too important to me right now, especially since my Worx sponsons are on the way.
    Acceleration: Didnt seem to change anything. If it did make any difference at all, it might have actually slowed it down a little out of the hole. But the variation was insignificant.
    Top Speed: The speedo on my ski is crraaaaazy (so I cant use it to decide). However, judging by racing a friend of mine, top speed didnt change at all.
    Handling: Again, very little change. It did make turns slightly harder, but didnt add to the control during the turn at all. I could feel a change in how the trim worked. Up is more up, down is more down.
    Porpoising: This is probably the only thing I actually felt a difference in. It did help some with the bounciness. Not as much as I would have liked. But I'd say enough to be worth the $15 bucks it costed me. I still had to play with the trim to avoid porpoising, and stay at certain speeds, but overall there was probably a 20% improvement (??).

At this point, for recreational riding, I dont think it matters whether you have the extenion or not. BUT - there are improvements I could make to it in order to get better results. ie longer, smoother, and eliminate the gap.

Hope this helped someone!
    -CUBE-

Thanks for your tips. I did mine up tonight. Changed the design around
    just a bit. Couldn't find the pipe piece that you bought despite going to
    three Lowes a Home Depot and two Ace Hardwares. Ended up making
    the piece from a couple adapters.

Rather than through bolting it and using nuts, I drilled in four areas and
    used smaller hardware (1/4"X20 countersunk) drilled and tapped the
    aluminum in the nozzle. It's about 1/4" thick right there so plenty of meat.
    There are a good four threads per fastner and all it really does is keep it
    from slipping off. Lock tighted everything so it won't back out. The extension
    is such a tight fit it probably wouldn't blow off even without fastners. I'll grind
    off the couple threads inside that protruded past the tapped hole, but I doubt
    it will make much difference as far as distupting the flow.

Most people that make their own seem to think it would've worked better
    if longer. Mine ended up being 3 1/4" longer than stock. Might be too long,
    but easy enough to cut some off it need be.

Last edited by Squirtcha?; 04-20-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Looks good. Let me know how that longer extension works out. I dont think Im going to change anything now that I got my sponsons, but Im still curious.

-CUBE-

Have you run yours with the sponsons yet?

I just ordered (but haven't received yet) a second set of Beach House for the other ski. I took em out this past Sunday and swapped loaders (UMI from the good ski with the Worx in the mother bucker). It actually seemed to help the bucker and hurt the good ski. Unfortunately UMI no longer makes loaders. I'll be anxious to get the other Beach House sponsons on there. I should have a couple pretty good riding skis between the extended nozzles, loaders, and sponsons. Probably as good as they're gonna get. They've both got what is supposed to be a good ride plate on em too (Evolution Marine). I won't be dumping any more money into em. We're just going to ride em and enjoy after this. My girlfriend and her two boys (oldest 15 and youngest 8) had a blast on em and that's the most important thing for me.

Here's a close up of the inside. I've been out grinding (after this picture was taken). Had to get the rib out of it and grind the fastners down to flush. In reality it's probably not that big a deal. Heck there's a big old metal pipe sitting right in the jet stream. I'm betting that'll obstruct flow more than those little fastners eh?

Incidentally, you do very nice work especially considering your age (no offense intended here, supposed to be a compliment). You've got some skills there. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Squirtcha?; 04-20-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information