pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

How to paint your jetski

Hello if your wanting to paint your jetski yourself,then this is for you.
    A paint job is only as good as the prep job before paint,In short if you want a killer paint job then you have to want to put in the work before you ever pull the trigger.

You will need a few things to get ready to begin prepping your jetski.

1.comet used for cleaning pots and pans.
    2.red scotch bright pad.
    3.water.
    4. primer and sealer
    5.. read the whole list and direcdtions

ok go and wash the jetski ,get every bit of dirt off you can,take off any thing you can such as seat that you don't want painted.wet the jetski and throw some comet on it and rub the entire jetski with it and scotch bright pad,then rinse clean,make sure to get off all residue .

if you have chips or scrapes ,use 80 grit sandpaper and rouge up the area around the spot to be repaired.fill with fiberglass filler and sand smooth with 120 or 180 grit sandpaper.then you want to prime and sand with 180 grit and seal with sealer or primer sealer,follow direction for product being used.most products have a window of use before you have to scuff or sand surface before next coat.

about paint
    When it comes to paint you get what you pay for.Good paint cost money.to paint a jetski you will need about one quart.A quart ranges from $10.00 to $1000.00 depending on the supplier and color and effect your going for.A good paint that will last will cost about $300.00 for all the chemicals you would need for a one color paint job.this will very from state to state.

Things you will need to paint your ski.

1. paint,(I suggest a base and clear or two part system)you will need thinner to clean
    with ,and a reducer for thinning paint.
    2. tape (I suggest 3/4 inch and 2 inch) other sizes for stripes
    3. tac rag for cleaning before spraying paint.
    4. paint cups ,strainers and sticks for mixing paint.
    5 .I cant stress this one enough a GOOD paint mask,(they only cost about $20.00
    and the effects last a life time if you don't use one.
    6. newspaper to tape off any areas you don't want painted.
    7. a good paint gun with a 1.4 tip for painting and clearing.
    8. a good wax and grease remover,sold at paint suppliers and comes in a gallon can.
    9. clean shop towels the kind you get at auto parts store and are blue paper.(use with wax and grease remover)

ok clean the ski with wax and grease remover,use two towels one wet and one dry.
    keep the ski wet until you use the dry towel to remove any trash form surface.
    then tac the ski off after you mix your paint (base) when you start to spray your paint just lay down a tac coat(dust the ski lightly over the whole surface with paint)then let it tac up (10 to 15 min)and then hit it with your second coat,you can cover the ski with this coat,but too heavy.wait a few mins and let it tac up before you hit it again.then put on the last coat.you should have enough paint to get three coats.then after it dries you can tac and spray your clear coat the same way.light coat to dust for a tac coat then heavier coat.

TIP wet your floor before you start to shoot paint,this will help cut the dust down,and give you a cleaner paint job.

You must wait for the clear to dry completely before removing the tape and paper.
    When its dry you can untape and ride or sand and buff.****Not recommended for beginners ** you will need exp to do this or you work will be fornot..

Hope this helps someone , This is a quick how to paint basics
    if you have any questions please visit
    JET PRO H20 at www.jetproh20.com
    www.jetproh20.com North Texas Jet Ski and Trailer repair.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: How to paint your jetski

Just a little tip, the GOOD paint mask you are talking about really doesn't do a whole lot. Yes I do use one but the real danger in painting automotive paint is the Cyanide, and those masks will NOT stop harsh chemicals like that. I do recommend using one but just a heads up for others.

Is there a site you would recommend to get paint from for my ski?

do a wrap they have some bad azz ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlyon123 View Post
    Is there a site you would recommend to get paint from for my ski?
    RGR Racing.com

I am by no means a pro, but painting one ski tought me a lot. do not over look LVLP guns instead of the HVLPs. some hvlp's require mega CFM to run, and if you're filtering and drying your air on a long hose.. it's hard for smaller DIY compressors to keep up. the HVLP guns really put on the paint though, so if you see yourself painting a few cars go that route. LVLP's can lay enough paint for a car too, just a bit slower, but after using one i think they are perfect for a PWC. they require lower cfms to run.. some guys have even run them off of pancake compressors.

a mistake that i made may help whoever is reading this... when you shoot your clear you need to slow the gun down quite a bit and put it on wetter than base and primer. ALWAYS do a test panel for clear. orange peel can occur easily if you don't put enough down to flow out correctly (as well as a few other reasons.. wrong temp. reducer, improper gun settings etc), and once a layer of clear has orange peel in it no matter how wet you make the last few coats it won't fix it. ( wetsand and flow coat, or wetsand and buff if you messed up.. it's not the end of the world!) if you put too much though, you'll get runs. i would much rather have a run than orange peel... easier to fix one spot. i was amazed at the smoothness of the clear in the areas that i actually slowed the gun down and did it right. always read your tech sheets!!!

make triple sure all your wax and grease remover has evap. before paint. make triple sure that you have waited long enough between coats for solvents to evaporate. don't rush ~!~

as far as paint, there are House Of Kolor "quart kits" on ebay that have 1 qt tinted primer (can be used as surfacer and/or sealer)+hardner, 1 qt Base, 1qt Klear with catalyst and reducer. i got mine for around 160 ish... great price on a package. if you use some of the primer as a primer surfacer though (to block sand and level out) you might run out of hardner. do the whole ski at the same time to avoid this.. i painted my hood and handlepole one week, then the hull the next. a lot of wasted paint because i made too much and had to toss it. again, i am not a painter, but i was impressed by the way this paint laid out... apparently HOK clear has great UV and chemical resistance. there ARE better paints out there... but i think HOK fits the bill!

You need dry air in your compressor.. water in the line / paint will ruin your paint job. drain the compressor, get a cheap water seperator/filter as well as the Devillebiss Dessicant snake. great investment to keep your air dry. our dirty shop compressor was like a super soaker, and the dessicant snake only lasted me that one job (beads stopped rattling which meant it was close to being saturated).. but it was worth it. CHEERS~!
    Last edited by mattofalltrades; 03-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    1990 550sx 190/190 ALL the goodies. GPS 46 mph
    build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=411914

isocyanates are the killer in paint. one job won't kill you, but they can accumulate in your body and you will develop an allergy or worse. i've heard of people who have to learn a new trade because of not taking the proper precautions. your best bet is an ACTIVATED CHARCOAL respirator.
    1990 550sx 190/190 ALL the goodies. GPS 46 mph
    build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=411914

Thread Information