User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Official Stimulus Results Thread

I do not get into the political threads very much but I would love to hear how everyone is benefiting from our terrific stimulus plan.

I work in the county transportation planning office and I have been directly involved with the "infrastructure" portion of this stimulus plan. I will make this somewhat brief... There are 9 municipalities in our county. Our cut of this stimulus is $13 million. This is not very much when it comes to road projects. Especially when it has to be divided fairly among 9 different cities and towns...

On top of a very small amount of money DOT (Department of Transportation) is making it nearly impossible to spend the money. It has to be spent in a very short amount of time and projects have to meet very specific guidelines. If the money is not spent in a certain amount of time then it is passed on to someone else.

Government entities do not work quickly and this harebrained plan is only causing frustration in all transportation related organizations. Everyone is fighting for a very small piece of pie and other more important projects we could be working on are set on the back burner.

In short I am witnessing human resources being wasted nation wide on a very small amount of money. At least when it comes to transportation. 700 billion is a lot of money but it is wasting more than it is stimulating. But everyone already sees that right?

That is my firsthand report from the transportation side of the stimulus... Anyone else have any first hand experience. Not something seen on the news.... But a real stimulating experience..?

Re: Official Stimulus Results Thread

If i understood the speech on television, that paychecks could be getting bigger, from what i've heard over the next couple months it couls end up being close to $400 per person

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    If i understood the speech on television, that paychecks could be getting bigger, from what i've heard over the next couple months it couls end up being close to $400 per person
    They have changed the tax witholdings. You $400 figure is correct but that is for a whole year. In essence your huge tax break is $8 per week. I'm not sure how one more meal a week a taco bell is going to stimulate the economy and help the average american. It is a complete joke.

Not to mention that $8 will come no where close to making up what you will have to pay in taxes to make up for this wasted spending. Obama's new budget for this year is $25,573.48 per tax payer $11,833 for every American. You have to ask yourself how in the hell are we ever going to be able to pay for that? This is more spending than our country has ever seen. The picture below makes it very clear.

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

And the beat goes on.............. Smoke and mirrors folks ! Slight of hand.

What you are really getting is huge spending on social projects that democrats have held near and dear for a very long time and very little of a tax break if you fit the criteria for a tax break. I wonder how many paychecks with an extra $8 in them it will take to makeup the extra capitol gains tax or an inhertience tax increase when your parents die and uncle sam steps in to take the first 35% off the top ?
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mbart's Avatar

This bill had nothing to do with helping the economy. It was just a giant payoff from the dems to the industries that elected them and a way to sneak in some more of Obamas bad ideas by saying it is going to "help".

I am so sick of it, gas prices go down and here and Illinois what is the first thing they do? Tack on an extra 8 cents or so. But hey, it's going to fix our roads. However, thats what they said the last time they increased the tax on gas, and when they doubled the cost of tags. I hate the Illinois democratic party, you all got a glimpse of it with Blago and you're going to get even a bigger reality check with Obama.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home djkorn1's Avatar

Unfortunatly due to Bush's huge spending we cannot afford much of a tax break. It is small, but it is better than Bush's fake stimulus where he gave you $600 dollars and then took it back.

The Stimulus Bill:

Makes a $634 billion down payment on fixing health care that will go a long way toward paying for a more efficient, more affordable health care system that covers every single American.3

Reduces taxes for 95% of working Americans. And if your family makes less than $250,000, your taxes won't go up one dime.4

Invests more than $100 billion in clean energy technology, creating millions of green jobs that can never be outsourced.5

Brings our troops home from Iraq on a firm timetable, finally bringing the war to a close—and freeing up almost ten billion dollars a month for domestic priorities.6

Reverses growing income inequality. The plan lets the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans expire and focuses on strengthening the middle class.7

Closes multi-billion-dollar tax loopholes for big oil companies. 8

Increases grants to help families pay for college—the largest increase ever.9

Halves the deficit by 2013. President Obama inherited a legacy of huge deficits and an economy in shambles, but his plan brings the deficit under control as soon as the economy begins to recover.10

Dramatically increases funding for the SEC and the CFTC—the agencies that police Wall Street.11

Tells it straight. For years, budgets have used accounting tricks to hide the real costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Bush tax cuts, and too many other programs. Obama's budget gets rid of the smokescreens and lays out what America's priorities are, what they cost, and how we're going to pay for them.12
    This is the change we voted for. President Obama has done his part, now we need to do ours.

Can you pass this on to your personal network and then click here to let us know how many people you told, so we can track our impact together:
    2003 Kawasaki SXR Freerider.

"A little faster than what is safe" http://www.myspace.com/djkorn1

So according to you, since Bush spent so much Obama had to spend hundreds of billions more on things that won't do crap to help the economy to help everyone. C'mon even you can't think that makes any sense. There is no way to come close to paying for any of this unless he taxes everyone into the dirt and that is his plan. He will just hide it so the simple masses won't see it. He will raise taxes on businesses and create whole new tax engines like cap & trade.

"This is the change we voted for. President Obama has done his part, now we need to do ours.

Can you pass this on to your personal network and then click here to let us know how many people you told, so we can track our impact together"

This is my favorite part of your email so I moved it to the top. These points not only are almost all wrong but they aren't even yours. All you did was cut and paste from a website that gives you your talking points and marching orders. Way to go you liberal soldier (lemming).

"Makes a $634 billion down payment on fixing health care that will go a long way toward paying for a more efficient, more affordable health care system that covers every single American.3"

This should have been a completely different bill. It has absolutely nothing to do with stimulating the economy.

"Reduces taxes for 95% of working Americans. And if your family makes less than $250,000, your taxes won't go up one dime.4"

$8 per week on avrage hlps no one and does nothing to help the economy. This will be more than covered by the increase in taxes on businesses that will be passed along to the consumer. It will be a net loss for the average joe. Does nothing to stimulate the economy.

"Invests more than $100 billion in clean energy technology, creating millions of green jobs that can never be outsourced.5 "

Good concept but it will do nothing to stimulate the economy in the near future which is where we need it.

"Brings our troops home from Iraq on a firm timetable, finally bringing the war to a close—and freeing up almost ten billion dollars a month for domestic priorities.6 "

Good to come out of Iraq and it was made possible and ison the same timeframe that Bush outlined. There will be no savings in money. We will divert resources to Afganistan as has already been outlined and started by Obama. That deficit spending will not benefit anything in the US. Does nothing to stimulate the economy.

"Reverses growing income inequality. The plan lets the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans expire and focuses on strengthening the middle class.7 "

Increasing taxes on the people and businesses that create jobs will lessen job growth and hurt the middle class overall as there will be slower job growth and price increases. Does nothing to stimulate the economy.

"Closes multi-billion-dollar tax loopholes for big oil companies. 8 "

This will net in higher energy costs for all. Brilliant idea. Does nothing to stimulate the economy.

"Increases grants to help families pay for college—the largest increase ever.9 "

Nice idea. It does nothing to stimulate the economy in the next couple of years.

"Halves the deficit by 2013. President Obama inherited a legacy of huge deficits and an economy in shambles, but his plan brings the deficit under control as soon as the economy begins to recover.10 "

Complete joke! In his first 5 weeks he has created the largest deficit our country has ever seen. So he is saying he will cut his own deficit in half which wll still make it the largest deficit we have ever seen. The only chance he has of making any impct on it is to cut spending drastically and increase taxes on all. That will hurt the economy overall.

"Dramatically increases funding for the SEC and the CFTC—the agencies that police Wall Street.11"

Nice idea. Does he say anything about cracking down on Fannie and Freddie the group that really created all of this mess? The answer is no. This also does nothing to stimulate the economy.

"Tells it straight. For years, budgets have used accounting tricks to hide the real costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Bush tax cuts, and too many other programs. Obama's budget gets rid of the smokescreens and lays out what America's priorities are, what they cost, and how we're going to pay for them.12"

How do you get this? He has been in office for 5 weeks. The transition on his part has been pretty bad. the transparency he talked about is not there. He has also gone back on many things he talked about. How many lobbyists are now working in his administration? He said the stimuls was about infrastructure to create new jobs and turns out that was basically a complete lie.
    Last edited by RumRunner_1492; 03-02-2009 at 09:27 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home taz 2's Avatar

my only guess is that for us who happen to be self employed & own a small business like myself he is probably going to drive us right out of business with all his new taxes. the new pres is a joke. i was truly hoping that all the change he talks about would do us all some good but i think he is going to do more harm then good.
    If you don't stand by our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

I dream skis

I find it amusing that people around here whine about the tax cuts when they're always chanting the "cut taxes" mantra. Sure the tax cut doesn't amount to much individually. But the tax cuts that Bush did earlier in the decade amounted to roughly the same kind of break. The middle quintile got a tax cut of about $650 under the bush plan so that equates to $12 per week. Overall I thinkt he number was like $24 for all wage earners. But that was b/c alot of the benefits went to top wage earners. The top 1% got an average break of $34k.

I'm annoyed with all the spending as well. But its redicuolus that all the tax cutter proponents complain about this one, yet its not all that different than the Bush tax cuts.
    2002 Yamaha GP1200R
    2002 Yamaha FX140

Quote Originally Posted by unclefire View Post
    I find it amusing that people around here whine about the tax cuts when they're always chanting the "cut taxes" mantra. Sure the tax cut doesn't amount to much individually. But the tax cuts that Bush did earlier in the decade amounted to roughly the same kind of break. The middle quintile got a tax cut of about $650 under the bush plan so that equates to $12 per week. Overall I thinkt he number was like $24 for all wage earners. But that was b/c alot of the benefits went to top wage earners. The top 1% got an average break of $34k.

I'm annoyed with all the spending as well. But its redicuolus that all the tax cutter proponents complain about this one, yet its not all that different than the Bush tax cuts.
    There is a big difference. Obama chanted about all of the tax breaks he was going to give to make the poor and middle classes life better and this is all he delivers? Basically a 6 pack of beer a week. Then he turns around and raises taxes on businesses and people that do most of the hiring. This will net in higher costs for the poor and middle class that will exceed the extra $8 they get each week. It isn't a tax cut or break. It is a shell game and he is just moving the money to fool the masses.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information