Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Seadoo Powered Bass Boat

Hey guys, first post. Last spring I had a '95 XP with a 717 motor given to me. The poor thing was vandelized over the winter (hull crushed, VTS gone, gauges broken up, etc). I salvaged everything except the hull and plan on installing the motor and drive in a 14'x48" modified V aluminum bass boat for shallow fishing. The prior owner lost the starter and exhaust pipes from the manifold on.

I've been looking at the old threads (thanks to the search) and hope to get some help to make this thing live again. The motor is in decent shape with a couple front cover bolts stripped out and the motor mounts are loose.

One question I was asked about replacing the starter is how many teeth should it have?

Another question is how much horsepower should this motor have?

And finally what can be done to reliably make more power?

I have good fab skills and a CNC mill in the garage to make this work. Done a bunch of motor work so this should be fun.

Thanks
    Jamie

I'll try to post some pics of the parts in a day or so.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoodude's Avatar

Re: Seadoo Powered Bass Boat

You might look at www.seadoosource.com the site has a collection of historical tech info on most models. Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us informed.
    Last edited by seadoodude; 02-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    (2) 98 GSXLs
    (1) 00 Challenger 2000

Man, wish i had a CNC in my garage!!!!!!!

3 96 XP's
    2000 XPL
    2002 XPL 67mph GPS
    twin pipe build up link
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=204126

If you want more inches STROKE IT!

Frequent Poster

Thanks, I downloaded and printed out most of the '95 manual and spent some time on Seadoosource the last couple days. Been reading and learning as fast as I can so I don't ask too many stupid questions.

There's a good many jetski johnboat conversions on youtube. This is closest to what I want to end up with;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqola...e=channel_page

The mill is a lot of fun once it's producing parts, a bit of a pain to get running parts and takes up half the garage...

I do a lot of parts for the old Ford trucks and sell some on eBay. I'll mill out a chunk for the transom / pump mount and probably something for the motor mounts.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the steering / throttle yet. More to come.

Jamie

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nightrider05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
    Thanks, I downloaded and printed out most of the '95 manual and spent some time on Seadoosource the last couple days. Been reading and learning as fast as I can so I don't ask too many stupid questions.

There's a good many jetski johnboat conversions on youtube. This is closest to what I want to end up with;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqola...e=channel_page

The mill is a lot of fun once it's producing parts, a bit of a pain to get running parts and takes up half the garage...

I do a lot of parts for the old Ford trucks and sell some on eBay. I'll mill out a chunk for the transom / pump mount and probably something for the motor mounts.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the steering / throttle yet. More to come.

Jamie

You have a small fortune sitting in your hands if you could make some jetski parts..you realize that..right?

I believe the 717 puts out roughly 85 horsepower. I may be a bit off but thats a good ballpark figure. Its not a bad little motor and there are some performance mods out for it as well. Parts are readily available such as an exhaust and heads. Those would be a couple things you could do that wouldn't hurt the reliability of the motor(as long as they are both done correctly..need to rejet the carb). There are also both single and twin carb setups for that motor..may look into some different carb options.

www.jetskiplanet.com has some pretty cool conversions like this if you get to looking into it. One guy stuck a whole SXR 800 driveline into one and many other guys are using the yamaha 650 setups.

Goodluck man, love to see it when its done. Fun project.

3 96 XP's
    2000 XPL
    2002 XPL 67mph GPS
    twin pipe build up link
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=204126

If you want more inches STROKE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT5SgsZ94L0 now this is priceless engineering !! Note the manuel bilge pump and the great job sealing the boat !!
    MACKZILLA JETUNLIMITED

Frequent Poster

Yeah, I love that one. There's another group of guys that did a midnight special with an old standup Kawi. Cut out the bottom of the boat and the same to the top of the ski. Silicone and screws and away they went... I did just pick up a 12'x36" and an old Kawi Ski, but the ski is pretty whacked.

Jamie

I peed myself a little when I saw the pic of the bridgeport.

I'm looking forward to watching this build. Do you have anything drawn up yet?
    99 XPLimited
    99 GSXLimited

Frequent Poster

Noting truely drawn up. Lots of ideas. Here's a pic of the boat how it sits now...

Hard part is figuring the layout out in the hull. The front of the motor will be were the old rear bench seats front edge is. I wanted to put the controls up where the front pivot seat is with stick steering so I can read the river and keep the boat nose heavy so it'll turn better and draft shallower. Problem with that is the cables for the doo steering are too short for that. I'm thinking about doing a basic mid aft center console between the two bench seats so I can stand or sit on the rear bunch as needed. I'll keep the batteries up front to balance the weight out. We'll see.

Throttle will probably end up being similiar to a ten speed shifter or brake handle setup. The goal is to get the motor fired up first and then gut the hull and lay the parts out.

Jamie

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information