Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday Regular craziestguyonagti's Avatar

Re: Surf riding near Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna

yeah helmets here is some info from the Volusia beaches section...

Personal watercraft zone safety regulations

Personal watercraft are permitted in designated areas only.
    Operators must purchase a permit from the Watercraft Zone Attendant.
    Hours of operations are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
    The personal watercraft zone is a 600 foot wide area along the ocean beach where personal watercraft may be launched and ridden inside the surfline. Riders may ride outside the personal watercraft zone but they must remain 1,500 feet (500 yards) from the shoreline.
    Personal watercraft may be refueled on the beach but must be 25 feet from the shoreline.
    Operators must wear helmets at all times.
    Riders should operate their watercraft in a responsible manner. Reckless riders will be called out of the water.
    Tube rides, knee-boarding and water skies are not permitted within the personal watercraft zone. Personal watercraft operators cannot set up buoys as a race course within the watercraft zone.
    Riding is the only water activity permitted within the watercraft zone.
    Fees and inspections
    All personal watercraft operated within the watercraft zone must meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements and must have a valid registration, personal flotation device, helmet, fire extinguisher, whistle, kill switch lanyard and waterbox exhaust system.

Passes are sold at any personal watercraft zone.

Annual resident pass: $100 (calendar year)
    Annual visitor pass: $125 (calendar year)
    Monthly pass: $25 (30 consecutive days)
    All passes are non-refundable/non-transferable.

http://www.volusia.org/beach/pwczone.htm
    Damn the cold

PWCToday Regular craziestguyonagti's Avatar

...Also, if you either go out really early or go on a weekday (limited parking) there is a launch ramp on the Daytona side of Ponce inlet which is MUCH closer than the New Smyrna ramps. here is the general address so you can mapquest it...

133 Inlet Harbor Rd, Ponce Inlet
    Damn the cold

Where is the spot? Is it standup friendly,can you beach it?

Well since I started this thread I have been out there quite a few times. The spot to launch on NSB is nothing more than a designated area by the life guards and it moves from day to day. If you drive up and down the beach you will see two old life guard stands that have a flag on them that say "Jet Ski Area" or something like that. Anywhere between the signs you can launch you ski. I have never actually seen someone put in a ski there so I don't know anymore than that. However like was previously stated to ride there you must have a helmet.

Lately we have been putting in at the public ramp near the north causeway bridge. Its free and you just have to motor up to the inlet it takes about 15 minutes to idle that far so its not a huge deal. The disappearing island gets PACKED on the weekends with boats so its a fun place to hang out and relax and take in some good people watching too. =)
    Last edited by bsdbum; 09-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    My Current Fleet:
    95 Seadoo XP 800 - The Couch
    90 SN SJ - 701 61x piped fun boat
    98 RN SJ - 701 61x/62t (under the knife)

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I've seen jet skis on the beach in sebastian (reason I looked at the local code), other than that I have not see much north of that (mainly because there is not much access to the ocean north of that....

If you go to Sebastian Inlet, hit up the South side, has ramp & bathrms.,You can beach up there and they have pavillions with bbq grills. Have fun & I'll see ya there
    97 seadoo GSX, (red), Florida Ocean Rider.Sebastian Inlet., P.S.- as soon as you get
    past the bridge, go off towards the right, some good air most of the time,And your
    within the 300 ft. distance.

PWCToday Newbie

Sorry I'm resurrecting an old thread but I'm pretty afraid of sharks lol. What's the chance of a shark bite if I fall off near the inlet?

I dream skis

Hardly any...

Sharks generally "bite" people swimming in shallow water near beaches because they cannot see it is a person rather than a large fish due to the churn of water and sand. Assuming you are farther out, there is no churn and you are not likely to be mistaken for a fish. Surfers who get bit are a case of mistaken identity, because as seen from below, they look like a large fish due to laying on their boards. If you are in the water off your ski, you are a distinct shape and not confused. Sharks are not the human predators the movies make them out to be, I go scuba diving with the sharks in West Palm Beach a lot, and I take my daughter with me. We swim with 8-10 foot sharks... they are skittish around humans, even with being a fairly daily occurrence meeting scuba divers in the water. Have you ever heard of a scuba diver bit by a shark.

I will say this as a worst case scenario because there are no guarantees of course, but even the shark bites in New Smyrna and other Florida areas, most are no worse than a dog bite since they let go when they realize you are not a fish. Yes, rarely it is more serious, but you can't get all caught up in the 1/1000th of 1% that you may be bit.

You are far more likely to be stung by a jellyfish farther out... and that is a minor annoyance for the most part.
    Last edited by Gator88; 05-14-2014 at 06:41 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks you put me at ease. I have been here twice so far, I just never knew what it was called. Usually I'll go to the area where the rocks are and beach my jet ski there. Some friends and I are thinking of taking a few jet skis there and bringing the family too. Have food there and the kids can ride with us as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information