Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surf riding near Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna

Hey guys what are the laws to ridding in the surf near the beachs? I just got a Seadoo XP and would like to take it to Cocoa or NSB soon but I'm not sure where to put in or what the laws are.

For now Ill be riding mostly on Lake Conway till it warms up a bit more.

Thanks

I dream skis

Re: Surf riding near Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna

It is 1,000 feet from a beach (with swimming access)

At NSB, Ponce Inlet, you can ride and park on the "beach" within the inlet... outside the inlet is where it becomes the 1,000 foot zone. The intercoastal is for boats, thus the beaching of pwc's is allowed.

I personally do not know of any area along the oceanfront where you can beach a ski on, so it is safe to say 1,000 on any ocean beach. During events, stand ups are allowed to launch/beach on the ocean side, but I assume they have special permission for that.

PWCToday Regular

results of my research on some local laws....here is what I found for Cape Canaveral to Sebastian (from http://www.municode.com)

Cape Canaveral
    Sec. 54-52. Designation of areas of regulated water activities.
    All waters within 300 feet offshore from all beaches and shorefront bathing areas or shoreline of the Banana River, whether or not so designated with appropriate signs are hereby designated as areas of regulated water activities.
    (Ord. No. 14-95, 1, 8-15-95)

Cocoa Beach
    Sec. 5-33.2. Vessels in ocean.
    (a) Operation near shoreline. No vessels, except human or wind powered vessels, shall be operated within five hundred (500) feet of the ocean shoreline, except when launching and landing, and in such cases, the vessel shall proceed through the aforesaid five hundred (500) feet substantially in a line perpendicular to the shore and the watercraft not be maneuvered within the said five hundred (500) feet except for the purpose of launching and landing. No motorboat shall launch or land except at designated areas or when such activity is governed by the city's special event ordinance.
    Melbourne
    Sec. 7-23. Mooring, beaching or placing of watercraft; where prohibited.
    (a) No vessel or watercraft of any kind whatsoever shall moor to or tie up to a public or private seawall or dock or be beached upon public or private property within the city limits without the permission of the property owner thereof, except in an emergency where necessary to prevent harm to persons or property. No boat or watercraft shall be moored, abandoned, sunk or otherwise placed in such a manner as to impede, restrict or otherwise interfere with the use of private or public docks, launching ramps or other waterfront facilities except in an emergency where necessary to prevent harm to persons or property. However, in the case of an emergency as described above, such boat or vessel must be removed within twenty-four (24) hours of the time said emergency has subsided. Any such craft in violation of this section may, upon request of the owner of the public or private seawall, dock, or property, or his agent, be subject to removal or impoundment.

Sebastian
    No City Ordinances about beaching a vessel, but better call and make sure before you do it.

only thing I saw was:
    Sec. 110-36. Speed restrictions; water activities prohibited in certain areas.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for the operator of any watercraft to operate such watercraft at a speed greater than "slow-down minimum wake" as defined by Florida law, at all times such boat is within one hundred fifty (150) feet of a bridge, dock, pier, wharf, mooring or launching area, or is within a lagoon, bay estuary, canal or lake, or is at a place in the Sebastian River or Indian River which has a distance from shore to shore which is three hundred (300) feet or less.
    (b) Water skiing, aquaplaning or similar activities are prohibited utilizing any watercraft within three hundred (300) feet of any bridge, dock, pier, wharf, mooring or launching area, or upon any bay estuary, canal or lake within the corporate limits of the city.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seats's Avatar

Anybody have any personal experience with any of these areas?
    "Never interrupt your enemies while they're making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

PWCToday Regular

I've seen jet skis on the beach in sebastian (reason I looked at the local code), other than that I have not see much north of that (mainly because there is not much access to the ocean north of that....

PWCToday Guru

I love hitting ponce inlet. Nice free ramp. And as you head out the water starts out smooth and the waves build bigger and bigger so you can hang out in what ever size waves you feel comfortable, not just get slammed by the big stuff. Nice beach to pull over and rest and its calm so your ski doesn't get trashed by the rollers coming in. And have seen dolphins every time I've gone....which I think is a good thing?

PWCToday Regular craziestguyonagti's Avatar

Definately hit Ponce inlet. Just like Bsdbum said, it has whatever you are looking for and we always beach our skis at Disappearing island which is right there before you go out to sea. Also, there are two nice restaurants/bars if you head North on the Halifax that will let you dock and have a bite on their deck. I recommend going to the inlet when the tide has been going out for a little while. The water is blue as the bahamas and you can see everything from sea turtles (at sea about 1/4 mile), manatees, dolphins (always), stingrays, and I have even seen a hammerhead. Very cool.
    Damn the cold

Ive been told you can launch on New Smyrna Beach in designated areas. I saw a couple of doo's being pulled down the beach (not rentals) so I will be checking that out in a week or so. I was told to either ask the toll booth people where the area is or ask a life guard. The guy who told me this lives over there and said they move the spot around where you can put in and take out every now and then so you just have to ask.
    My Current Fleet:
    95 Seadoo XP 800 - The Couch
    90 SN SJ - 701 61x piped fun boat
    98 RN SJ - 701 61x/62t (under the knife)

PWCToday Regular craziestguyonagti's Avatar

True, you can buy a pass and as long as you have a helmet and you have to launch at specific locations (they move them) then you can ski right off the beach
    Damn the cold

A helmet? I haven't heard that. I hit the inlet this last weekend it was a blast. We didn't put in on the surf side just at a ramp and idle'd threw the long no wake zone. I really want to figure out what is the deal with launching on the surf it seems like the way to go but I am not gonna get a helmet for rec riding =(
    My Current Fleet:
    95 Seadoo XP 800 - The Couch
    90 SN SJ - 701 61x piped fun boat
    98 RN SJ - 701 61x/62t (under the knife)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information