» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Guru

Re: Hawaii Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by BILL COSCA View Post
    hey 1991 blaster ? the first year was 93
    hey if you need any blaster parts i have 3 blasters here on maui and many parts
    Hey Bill its me Pierre. I have spoke to you a few times on the phone and picked up a power valve motor for my GPR from you awhile back.
    I just sold a square nose recently, that was a 91.

Sweet a Hawaii Thread

I am Brent and ride a 2004 Yamaha XLT and 2008 Kawasaki 800 SXR.

Ride mostly in Maunalua bay. Where does everyone else ride?
    Last edited by tnerb; 02-07-2009 at 05:23 AM.
    beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

2008 Kawasaki 800SXR - 47 MPH GPS
    - Kicker footholds, wet wolf pump cone, PPFF (pending)

2004 Yamaha 1200 XLT - 59.1 MPH GPS
    - waveater clips and couplers, D-plate and chip, pump seal, R&D intake grate and ride plate

damn...I always wondered if riding was allowed in hawaii. Now that i know I might have to get one for when I come back home to the islands. Sweet!

PWCToday Newbie

Hey Brent, I ride Maunalua Bay too. I'm da brokass 1997 WaveVenture 1100 (bored out). Jus look for da camo paint job. - Dan

PWCToday Newbie

I'm J.D.
    I am in the Coast Guard and stationed in Honolulu out on Sand Island.
    I ride an 05 800 SXR. My riding is done off Sand Island.
    05 SX-R

"Breakage is natures way of telling you its time to upgrade."

Welcome J.D.!

What kind of riding do you do? Cruising, hanging out, speed runs, going off the ski ramp, fishing, diving, exploring, etc?

Also since you're in the Coast Guard, do you have any interesting tidbits or information you can share on PWCs from the Coast Guard's perspective?

A burning question I've always had - if I were to break down or need assistance at a FAD several miles offshore, and I activated my EPIRB or had a nearby boat call in for assistance (I am deaf and cannot use a VHF radio), and the coast guard came, what is the protocol for dealing with the PWC? Would they tow it back or make me abandon it? I installed a shut-off valve for the cooling system so that my PWC can be towed above 5 MPH, and will not want to lose my PWC.

What about fees, etc or is that free?

Would the DLNR be notified as well, and the DLNR waiting at the harbor to write me a ticket and/or impound my PWC for going so far offshore?

I just want to be prepared and figure out the best possible outcome in advance.

-Paul
    Last edited by SpearoPaul; 04-19-2009 at 04:10 PM.

This is from memory so the details are a little foggy but someone on the mainland had posted that they needed assistance because of engine problems and called in the Coast Guard. When the Coast Guard arrived, the guy wanted his ski towed in too. They said that they were only going to rescue him and leave the ski behind. He told them that he didn't want to leave the ski behind and would try and fix it so the Coast Guard left. The guy ends up calling the CG again and abandonds his ski. I gotta look for that post.
    Winterizing? What's that?

No way would I want to abandon my ski - I know it's "replaceable" but on a teachers salary, this will most likely be the only ski I'll ever be able to own - I wouldn't be able to afford a replacement. I have it insured as well, but if it were to be stolen or sunk, the insurance payout wouldn't even be enough for me to replace it. Ski is at about 8k when it's in the water (sled and other equipment added to it), insurance payout would only be about 4k.

What are some other options? I heard something about "PWC Rescue" here for Hawaii but have not been able to find any more information. How about "SeaTow", the fire department, or one of those towing services? I can't use a VHF radio though, so I'm kinda screwed.

Do you suppose the Coast Guard would at least place a call for me when they arrived and I asked them to please call somebody?

I don't know what I would actually do if I were say 15 miles offshore and broken down and the CG wouldn't tow me back or place a call for a towing service for me. My knee-jerk reaction would be to just tell the Coast Guard to please monitor my location and keep authorities informed while I drift and wait for my wife to get concerned that night, call the coast guard, find out what's going on, and then hopefully she will have the sense to call a towing service or somebody with a boat to go out and find me. I carry enough emergency gear on my PWC to last at least 5 days when I do near-shore diving/riding, and when going far out, I will carry enough for about 2 weeks.

-Paul

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SpearoPaul View Post
    Welcome J.D.!

What kind of riding do you do? Cruising, hanging out, speed runs, going off the ski ramp, fishing, diving, exploring, etc?

Also since you're in the Coast Guard, do you have any interesting tidbits or information you can share on PWCs from the Coast Guard's perspective?

A burning question I've always had - if I were to break down or need assistance at a FAD several miles offshore, and I activated my EPIRB or had a nearby boat call in for assistance (I am deaf and cannot use a VHF radio), and the coast guard came, what is the protocol for dealing with the PWC? Would they tow it back or make me abandon it? I installed a shut-off valve for the cooling system so that my PWC can be towed above 5 MPH, and will not want to lose my PWC.

What about fees, etc or is that free?

Would the DLNR be notified as well, and the DLNR waiting at the harbor to write me a ticket and/or impound my PWC for going so far offshore?

I just want to be prepared and figure out the best possible outcome in advance.

-Paul

Thanks. Sorry for the large delay in replying. We are extremely busy right now and are away from home port. The typical riding I do is mostly just cruising I guess out here. On the east coast I was big into the wave stuff in the inlets but there was no reef or crazy rules to worry about out there. Sorry I don't have any inside info for PWCs in hawaii. My job doesn't deal with PWCs. (I am on a 378' ship). I also don't have any specific info on your questions. I have never worked at a small boat station where they deal with all of that stuff. At my last job I talked to those guys all the time and had good information for the south jersey area but here I don't support the small boat station I am not sure as to how they deal with PWCs. Your best bet would be to call the Coast Guard District 14 office. Or Coast Guard Sector Honolulu for the most accurate info. I have a lot of what I think it correct but don't want to give inaccurate information. Sorry for being not much help.
    05 SX-R

"Breakage is natures way of telling you its time to upgrade."

No problem JD. I did email them several weeks ago and their website said they would get back to me within 3 days. Still has not happened...

What does the Coast Guard do with a 378' ship out at sea from Hawaii? Are you patrolling the NW islands? I've been wanting to go spearfishing up there but can't quite figure out if it would be legal or not.

-Paul

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information