• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mbart
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jan 2008

Re: Clinton Lake

Originally posted by curt248 View Post
    We bought a couple of ski's in January. I think we will try this lake on sat the 25th. If anyone sees us, stop by and give us some tips. The last time I rode was probably 20 years ago. We will be on a all yellow 1997 seadoo xp (3rd gen hull) and a yamaha fx-1 standup.

First we have to pick up a couple of lifejackets buy some oil and mix gas for my standup.

I better look it up on the map to see where it is. We live in Westmont il.
    Did you make it out? Hope you had a good time. I have not been able to get over there. I may try tomorrow pending on the weather.

Comment

• vshockey10
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by curt248 View Post
      We bought a couple of ski's in January. I think we will try this lake on sat the 25th. If anyone sees us, stop by and give us some tips. The last time I rode was probably 20 years ago. We will be on a all yellow 1997 seadoo xp (3rd gen hull) and a yamaha fx-1 standup.

First we have to pick up a couple of lifejackets buy some oil and mix gas for my standup.

I better look it up on the map to see where it is. We live in Westmont il.
      did you happen to buy that fx-1 from a guy up in hartland WI?
      THANK YOU pwctoday community for all of your friendly knowledge. I can't thank some of you enough. Hope to see you all on the water!

Comment

• Skeach
        Frequent Poster
        • Jun 2008

May 15-17 weekend, I'm gonna attempt to get out to clinton. It will be my first ride on my 550, my first ride on a standup period, and my first time on a pwc in 10 years. Needless to say, I'm excited. Anyone have some detailed directions on how to get there coming south on i-57? By detailed, I mean how to get to the warm side

Comment

• Mbart
          • Jan 2008

Hey Skeach, welcome to the dark side! It won't be long and you will be in here complaining about couches. It takes some practice but when you start to get it you will never want to ride a sitdown again.

As for directions, I am not sure what way to tell you to come. If you are coming down from the north, you can go all the way down to Champaign jump on 72 and then get off on 150. However, that may be a little out of the way. You can probably get off 57 and onto 54 which is a pretty straight shot to the lake although you will be on a two lane road for awhile. Not sure what the best way would be coming from up there. Look at a map and try to figure out which way you want to come in, I am not much help as I have never driven there from the north. If you know how you are going to come in, I can get you to the ramp.

Enough chatting, I think I am going to head over to Clinotn right now!

Comment

• Skeach
            Frequent Poster
            • Jun 2008

Doing a google maps search, it's telling me to take I-57 to Champaign Ave/ US-136 for 20 miles east. Then take a left on IL-54 and take that for 17 miles. Does that sound about right? If I go that way, what's the best way to get to a launch near the warm side of the lake.... also, if you're looking at an above view of the lake, where would be the warm side?

Thanks again. Clinton is looking to be the best chance at some early riding when Lake Michigan and Kankakee River are still hovering around 40 degrees.

Comment

• Mbart
              • Jan 2008

Just got back from there, rode a few laps on a 1100 to make sure it was running and then put on the SXR. Had a blast, the water is so warm. Not cold to be in at all, in fact it felt better in the water than out of it. Forget that 40 degree shat, especially if you are learning as you will likely spend most of your time in it.....gets easier though.

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to go. You will get off at the Rantoul exit, which is 136. Head west, go through a little town called Fisher, go straight through one stop sign, and turn left at the next I believe. Stay on 54, go through Farmer City (pay attention to signs, I think it zig zags a little through town). Now, you will want to turn left on to 2100 / 48 (not sure how it is marked). I am not 100% sure if there is a sign but I think there may be something. Haven't come that way in awhile but I also think there is a old grain elevator on the right side of the road where you want to turn. However, those are everywhere. If you come to a tiny little town you have gone too far. After you make the turn, you will go a couple of miles and then over a bridge that crosses the lake. Right after the bridge, on the right hand side of the road is the ramp. Weldon access, there is a sign for it but not a huge one....pay attention after the bridge. I know there are some signs out there for the parnell ramp but you do not want this one, no wake for like a mile.

Sorry, directions are not that great....not much out there to use as landmarks. You shouldn't have a problem finding it though.

Comment

• Mbart
                • Jan 2008

Oh yeah, if you are looking at a map the warm water is the section between the roads 1900 and 2100.

Comment

• Mbart
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Skeach View Post
                  Doing a google maps search, it's telling me to take I-57 to Champaign Ave/ US-136 for 20 miles east.
                  Are sure it said east?

Can't find a address for Weldon Day Use anywhere, here is a map. Not a good on but the best I could find.

Comment

• Skeach
                    Frequent Poster
                    • Jun 2008

Sorry. I meant west. That would have been a problem.

Thanks a ton! I followed your directions perfectly by using google maps. Really appreciate it! I can't wait to get out there!
                    Last edited by Skeach; 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Mbart
                      • Jan 2008

No prob, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. If you get something more definite together, post. I am out there quite a bit.

Comment

• 02 sxipro
                        I dream skis
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Skeach View Post
                        Doing a google maps search, it's telling me to take I-57 to Champaign Ave/ US-136 for 20 miles east. Then take a left on IL-54 and take that for 17 miles. Does that sound about right? If I go that way, what's the best way to get to a launch near the warm side of the lake.... also, if you're looking at an above view of the lake, where would be the warm side?

Thanks again. Clinton is looking to be the best chance at some early riding when Lake Michigan and Kankakee River are still hovering around 40 degrees.
                        Buy a 3/4 mm wetsuit that fits well and you'll be fine in the big lake this time of year.

Comment

• Mbart
                          • Jan 2008

Why do that when that hot tub feeling water is soooo good?

Comment

• vshockey10
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mbart View Post
                            Why do that when that hot tub feeling water is soooo good?
                            how much is it to launch there? is it per ski or trailer?
                            THANK YOU pwctoday community for all of your friendly knowledge. I can't thank some of you enough. Hope to see you all on the water!

Comment

• Mbart
                              • Jan 2008

Free, at the public ramps. I think the marina charges like $5 but there is no need to go there.

Comment

• Skeach
                                Frequent Poster
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by 02 sxipro View Post
                                Buy a 3/4 mm wetsuit that fits well and you'll be fine in the big lake this time of year.
                                Michigan is 41 degrees right now by most launches. Isn't that kinda bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X