Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

Page 281 of 281 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281
Results 2,801 to 2,806 of 2806
    Frequent Poster

Re: JETMATE owners thread ...

I'm finally starting to work on my Jet Mate again. I bought it about 20 months ago and I've never had it in the water. It needed a fuel pump, which turned out to be a fuel system rebuild, which turned into an engine rebuild, which turned into an engine replacement, which turned into a nightmare.

While working on the fuel system, I left the Mate outside with a tarp on it. I left the seat in the raised position so that water would run off. I didn't realize that there is no drain for the engine bay on these things, only for the c0ckpit. I did not have the dog house securely in place and the engine bay filled up with rain water. Although we only had 1/4" of rain, that was enough to fill the engine bay to the top and water found it's way into the engine. Eventually, I discovered that the crank was rusted and decided to go a different route. I had an old 750 engine laying around that needed a top overhaul.

I sent the cylinders off to Full Bore to have them cleaned up and pistons fitted. They kept my cylinders from May 2021 to May 2022, FIFTY WEEKS! I knew from past experience that they were a bit slow, but almost a year was ridiculous. Of course they blamed it on Covid and parts availability. They lied to me several times and told me that they got my parts in and they would return my cylinders in the next week. They never did. I finally got mad and found the required pistons on Ebay and told them that they could buy pistons there all day long. Still nothing until I got my credit card company involved--funny, they called me back the next day and said that they were going to ship my cylinders immediately.

Anyway, I didn't want to risk having water get into the engine again, so I decided that it was essential that I install a drain in the engine bay. I've included pictures. It wasn't easy, I drilled a hole for a drain plug and was pleasantly surprised to find that the foam inside was completely dry. The problem was that I didn't know where any cables or hoses ran, so I just bored a hole through the foam with a piece of tubing with teeth cut into the end. I should have put the drain a little lower to clear the exhaust better, but it worked out. It was a tight fit, so I ran a smaller hose than I originally intended. I made reducer fittings on my lathe to adapt the hose to the drain plug housings. The plugs were made by Attwood and I got them at Academy Sports. I secured the hoses with Oetiker clamps, then I used 3M 5200 on the reducer fittings and drains.

Engine Bay Drain 1.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 2.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 3.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 4.jpg
    Last edited by The Brain; 09-27-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    I'm finally starting to work on my Jet Mate again. I bought it about 20 months ago and I've never had it in the water. It needed a fuel pump, which turned out to be a fuel system rebuild, which turned into an engine rebuild, which turned into an engine replacement, which turned into a nightmare.

While working on the fuel system, I left the Mate outside with a tarp on it. I left the seat in the raised position so that water would run off. I didn't realize that there is no drain for the engine bay on these things, only for the c0ckpit. I did not have the dog house securely in place and the engine bay filled up with rain water. Although we only had 1/4" of rain, that was enough to fill the engine bay to the top and water found it's way into the engine. Eventually, I discovered that the crank was rusted and decided to go a different route. I had an old 750 engine laying around that needed a top overhaul.

I sent the cylinders off to Full Bore to have them cleaned up and pistons fitted. They kept my cylinders from May 2021 to May 2022, FIFTY WEEKS! I knew from past experience that they were a bit slow, but almost a year was ridiculous. Of course they blamed it on Covid and parts availability. They lied to me several times and told me that they got my parts in and they would return my cylinders in the next week. They never did. I finally got mad and found the required pistons on Ebay and told them that they could buy pistons there all day long. Still nothing until I got my credit card company involved--funny, they called me back the next day and said that they were going to ship my cylinders immediately.

Anyway, I didn't want to risk having water get into the engine again, so I decided that it was essential that I install a drain in the engine bay. I've included pictures. It wasn't easy, I drilled a hole for a drain plug and was pleasantly surprised to find that the foam inside was completely dry. The problem was that I didn't know where any cables or hoses ran, so I just bored a hole through the foam with a piece of tubing with teeth cut into the end. I should have put the drain a little lower to clear the exhaust better, but it worked out. It was a tight fit, so I ran a smaller hose than I originally intended. I made reducer fittings on my lathe to adapt the hose to the drain plug housings. The plugs were made by Attwood and I got them at Academy Sports. I secured the hoses with Oetiker clamps, then I used 3M 5200 on the reducer fittings and drains.

Engine Bay Drain 1.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 2.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 3.jpg

Engine Bay Drain 4.jpg
    Thats a great idea!!
    MAGA 2024

Braap!
    Last edited by AAquaholic; 09-29-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAquaholic View Post
    Can you post a pic of how you modified the dog house to fit your pipe? pls
    MAGA 2024

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AAquaholic View Post
    Nice!!

Page 281 of 281 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281

Thread Information