User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Registration Title Answers Michigan SOS

I noticed there are frequent questions regarding registration/title issues when people are buying used watercraft on here or locally...many times there are discrepancies as to the procedure for when the seller lost the title. People I know has these issues over the riding season. Below is direct from the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) website. I know most of us are familiar with the procedure but for the few who arent I just thought it might be of some use.

Registration Required

If you own a moped, watercraft, or a snowmobile, you must register it with the Department of State (unless it is exempt) and display a registration decal. Once a registration number has been assigned, it cannot be transferred to another moped, watercraft, or snowmobile.

Watercraft - Title Required
    All watercraft 20 feet and longer and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled. Watercraft not required to be titled may be titled as an option.

Watercraft - Registration Required

All watercraft on Michigan waters, including privately-owned lakes and waterways, must be registered except:

watercraft 16 ft. or less, propelled by oars or paddles, and not used for rental or commercial purposes,
    non-motorized canoes and kayaks not used for rental or commercial purposes, rafts, surfboards, sailboards, and swim floats, regardless of length,
    watercraft registered in another state and used only temporarily in Michigan.

For most watercraft the registration fee is based on length. All registrations expire on March 31 in the third year of issuance.

**Transferring Ownership of a Watercraft**

If the watercraft is not titled, simply complete the back of your watercraft registration. If you have lost the registration, then a complete bill of sale with the year, make, hull identification number, registration number (if available), and the names and addresses of the buyer and seller may be used to transfer ownership. (THIS IS FOR WATERCRAFT WHICH DID NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION)

If the watercraft is titled, the assigned title is used to transfer ownership. If the title is lost, a duplicate title can be acquired by the OWNER from a Secretary of State Branch Office. Without an assigned title, a court order or surety bond is needed to transfer the ownership. For watercraft not titled or subject to the title law, the assigned registration is used to transfer ownership. A bill of sale from the registered owner may also be used. For more information contact our Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).

If the new owner does not want a title and the watercraft does not need a title to list a lien (bank loan), the previous owner's title is surrendered when the buyer transfers the registration into their name. The Secretary of State Branch Office will arrange to have the previous title cancelled.
    04 SX-R Stock w/ 0 degree UMI bars/ODI grips JSU spring tensioner
    89 650SX...
    Group K F650 mods (porting, milled head, pistons etc)
    38mm Carb w primer
    Blue Tau-Ceti FA
    Solas prop
    WestCoast pipe
    Stator rebuilt by Jetski Solutions
    Hydro-Turf
    UMI 0 Degree bars
    ODI Grips
    UMI Finger Throttle
    Quick turn plate
    Pole Spring
    New battery cables
    Jetsport rideplate
    Rule Bilge
    R&D Grate
    New Paint
    Exotic Signs Graphics

Re: Registration Title Answers Michigan SOS

There is a form that can be filled out to claim ownership of a watercraft that has a lost title... You fill it out, they run a check of the vin and issue you a title. I don't know the name of the form but I did it once this past summer on a watercraft I bought that had no title. The secretary of state doesn't want to tell you that but it is possible.
    T-3 Performance
    www.jet-world.com

that might also depend if you got it out of state or not
    89 650SX...
    38mm Carb w primer
    Blue Tau-Ceti FA
    Solas prop
    WestCoast pipe
    Hydro-Turf
    UMI 0 Degree bars
    ODI Grips
    UMI Finger Throttle
    Quick turn plate
    Pole Spring
    New battery cables
    Jetsport rideplate
    Rule Bilge
    R&D Grate
    New Paint
    Exotic Signs Graphics

Frequent Poster

That's not true- the SOS will not only tell you that you can do it (I titled 5 skiis this summer with NOTHING but a vin written on a post-it)...The form is called "Certification of Ownership" and can be downloaded right on your computer- it's under Titles/forms/TR-205...I even did one for someone esle, and just had to have an "Assignment of Agent" form filled out by the other person who I was titling for...They would rather have legal jet skiis riding around than not, and all 3 offices I did these at were really helpful.

Well thats good to know...but what I posted above was copied right from their website
    89 650SX...
    38mm Carb w primer
    Blue Tau-Ceti FA
    Solas prop
    WestCoast pipe
    Hydro-Turf
    UMI 0 Degree bars
    ODI Grips
    UMI Finger Throttle
    Quick turn plate
    Pole Spring
    New battery cables
    Jetsport rideplate
    Rule Bilge
    R&D Grate
    New Paint
    Exotic Signs Graphics

Frequent Poster

It's VERY easy- but much faster is you have the paperwork already when you go...also, if you don't have a registration but can write down the MC #'s, that's helpful too...just remember- it can take up to 30 min to do the title search without any title or reg, so bring a book...
    Also, be prepared that the ski could come up stolen, but in 5 tries, nothing's happened yet...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MCrider's Avatar

i know im like a year late but thanks this was very helpfull

PWCToday Regular

Did you do this being in Florida or did you physically go to Michigan?
    Quote Originally Posted by h2odog View Post
    That's not true- the SOS will not only tell you that you can do it (I titled 5 skiis this summer with NOTHING but a vin written on a post-it)...The form is called "Certification of Ownership" and can be downloaded right on your computer- it's under Titles/forms/TR-205...I even did one for someone esle, and just had to have an "Assignment of Agent" form filled out by the other person who I was titling for...They would rather have legal jet skiis riding around than not, and all 3 offices I did these at were really helpful.

PWCToday Regular

I just bought 2 jet skis from Michigan with just a bill of sale and no registration and I'm getting a hell of a runaround getting them registered in illinois.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home nextlevelinnovations's Avatar

I purchased a jet ski from Michigan and received a title with it. NY registered it right away for me. It's when I buy a ski from Mass that NY is all phucked up and requires a title but Mass doesn't issue them on vessels less that 14'
    1996 B1
    1995 B1 sport-spec
    1994 B1 wife's ski
    1993 B1
    1997 Superjet
    1993 Superchicken
    2005 modded GP1300R
    1990 X2
    1988 Jammer

Thread Information