User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winterizing a 97 Tiger Shark

When i posted on the last thread "you know its getting near the end when" it made me think that i need to know how to winterize my 97 1100 Daytona TS!?! I would like to do it myself to save some money since they quoted me $250 i think.
    Does any have a detailed check list or instructions that i can follow to perform the winterization my self? I wouldn’t imagine it would be that hard right?

Thanks!

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

Re: Winterizing a 97 Tiger Shark

ouch $250! You have a 97, but do you have a 1000 or 1100? I can tell ya how to do the 1100, but the 1000 I'm if'y on. Regardless, you need to drain the cooling system, treat the gas with fuel stabilizer, run the engine until the treated gas makes it to the carbs, fog the engine, add anti-freeze if your winters get below freezing.
    My quote for the week of 03-February-2013 to 09-February-2013: "time to hang up the skates"
    Region 6 racing info:
    Monster Energy Midwest Watercross Tour
    Do you have it made in America?

Region 6
    Novice Runabout N/A Stock
    Shark Bait
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    800 Limited/1000 superstock
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II
    Skat pump/prop
    ...and more.

Quote Originally Posted by lownrangr
    ouch $250! You have a 97, but do you have a 1000 or 1100? I can tell ya how to do the 1100, but the 1000 I'm if'y on. Regardless, you need to drain the cooling system, treat the gas with fuel stabilizer, run the engine until the treated gas makes it to the carbs, fog the engine, add anti-freeze if your winters get below freezing.
    Yes it is a 1100 so thats a good thing! First things first...lol
    1.) were is the plug to drain the cooling system?
    2.) The gas tank is empty, so do i just pour in the stabilizer, or do i need to put gas in it then pour in the stabilizer?
    3.)How do i know the gas makes it to the carb?
    4.) What does fog the engine mean and how do i do that?
    Last question!
    5.) Were do i put the anti freeze in and how much do i use?

Then actually once this is complete how do i undo all of it?...lol

Sorry for so many questions but I want to learn to do this myself!
    Thanks again in advance!

Since the gas tank is empty, add stabilizer now, it'll mix as you add the gas. i usually let mine run for several minutes for the fuel to make it to the carbs, kill the water and clear the exhaust of water. lol, this part is tricky, you need to try and spray fogging oil down all 3 carbs while the engine is running. After a few seconds, if the exhaust starts kicking out white smoke or when all 3 cylinders have gotten a good spray, kill the engine. I do that part with the water off. Then pull off the clear hose on the bottom of the expansion pipe, this drains the water jacket on the pipe, and water gallery on the block. I remove the cooling line that goes in the engine and with a funnel pour some anti-freeze in (maybe a quart). I also drain as much h2o from the water box as I can and add some anti-freeze there too. I probably go over board on the fogging oil, but I also spray some down the spark plug holes and turn the engine over by hand for some added protection.

In the spring, just start her up!
    My quote for the week of 03-February-2013 to 09-February-2013: "time to hang up the skates"
    Region 6 racing info:

Region 6
    Shark Bait
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II
    Skat pump/prop
    ...and more.

Quote Originally Posted by lownrangr
    Since the gas tank is empty, add stabilizer now, it'll mix as you add the gas. i usually let mine run for several minutes for the fuel to make it to the carbs, kill the water and clear the exhaust of water. lol, this part is tricky, you need to try and spray fogging oil down all 3 carbs while the engine is running. After a few seconds, if the exhaust starts kicking out white smoke or when all 3 cylinders have gotten a good spray, kill the engine. I do that part with the water off. Then pull off the clear hose on the bottom of the expansion pipe, this drains the water jacket on the pipe, and water gallery on the block. I remove the cooling line that goes in the engine and with a funnel pour some anti-freeze in (maybe a quart). I also drain as much h2o from the water box as I can and add some anti-freeze there too. I probably go over board on the fogging oil, but I also spray some down the spark plug holes and turn the engine over by hand for some added protection.

In the spring, just start her up!
    So after i put the gas stabilizer in then i need to put gas in it? Just enough gas to the amount of stabilizer?

Im not sure what the clear hose is on the expansion pipe? Is this in the back of the jet ski or near the front?

Also, can you explain what the cooling line is...Well really where the cooling line is located. Sorry!

Do i pour the anti freeze in the cooling line?

Last question...what and were is the water box?

I REALLY appreciate your help! Once i do it i will have it down but i have to start some where and with your help i will definitely be able to handle this.

Then once winter is over i dont need to drain the anti freeze or anything like that? Just connect the hoses and take off hu?

yeah, use enough stabilizer for the size of the gas tank.

see the attached pic for what the small clear hose looks like. It's circled in red. Both the small clear hose and the black hose can come off to make things easier. When you do this part, have the bow of the boat lowered to help water drain.

if you have a water filter, disconnect the hose that come off the filter and goes toward the engine and yes use a funnel to pour in the anti-freeze.

the water box is the muffler looking thing after the expansion pipe. So, from the engine you have the exhaust manifold, the expansion pipe, a rubber connertor hose, then the waterbox.

re-connect all hoses when finished, that way everything will be ready come spring.

This is pretty simple to do once you know how, but if you are unsure of what to do, have a pro do it. We don't want you have have a dead boat when the season comes around again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lownrangr; 10-19-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    Region 6 racing info:

Region 6
    Shark Bait
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II
    Skat pump/prop
    ...and more.

So i need to store the jet ski WITH gas? I was always under the impression that you stored them with out gas. I though gas could produce condensation and that could possible freeze?

keeping the tank full helps prevent condensation.
    Region 6 racing info:

Region 6
    Shark Bait
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II
    Skat pump/prop
    ...and more.

Great! So i finished the winterization today and i feel pretty comfortable about it. It wasnt hard at all? I do have a question though about the antifreeze.
    I took off the inlet hose and poured antifreeze into it and it reall just all went to the water filter. So when i start up the jet ski in the spring do i have to drain the anti freeze or will it be alright if that gets in the engine?

Also, i couldnt find the tube that goes to the water box? If you have time can you take a picture of that for me and were i put anti freeze for that? That will be the last thing i have to do then it will be complete.

Thanks!

follow the big rubber hose from the back of the exhaust pipe, the hose goes to the waterbox. You can't really miss it. Siphon as much water out as you can then add the anti-freeze. I'll have to see if i have a pic.

oh, and your cooling system is probably different than on mine and the water filter is prolly different too, so just make sure some of that anti-freeze makes it into the engine. But like I said before, use only about a quart or so because most of the water drains out when you drain the engine.
    Last edited by lownrangr; 10-20-2008 at 12:44 AM.
    Region 6 racing info:

Region 6
    Shark Bait
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP 800
    2009 Novi-Tec carbs
    Factory Pipe spec II