User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost in the world of fiberglass..help

Ok so I've used regular fiberglass cloth and I've used fiberglass mat. I know mat builds up faster and is cheaper but it's a mess. I love working with fiberglass cloth because it's clean but seems to take an excessive number of layers to make it stiff.

I'm going to order some expanding foam soon and figured I'd get some more fiberglass but I'm confused on all the different types. I can understand that 10oz. fabric is thicker than 3oz. fabric and heavier would require less build up. What I don't understand is the difference between woven roving, e-glass, e-cloth, and biaxial cloth.

I'm going to have to de-foam the SJ I just bought and will obviously need to redo the tray when I'm done. This is what I'm buying the cloth for. I originally though I'd do a quick fix and use 3 layers of cloth but 3 layers of whatever weight cloth I have is way too weak.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: Lost in the world of fiberglass..help

Woven roving looks like regular fiberglass cloth but the weave is massive and the individual threads making up the weave are massive,usually 18oz or 24 oz though you can get much higher weights,it is used for high strength areas,s/glass = regular fiberglass cloth ,e/glass =high strength fiberglass cloth,stronger and more expensive,biaxial cloth means the threads go at at angle (usually 45 degrees)to the other threads making it less prone to distortion and stronger than regular cloth,it usually has a backing sewn onto it,it does not drape or conform to curves well though.Look on my thread on the X for a list of suppliers and websites.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 10-01-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Helping the PWCT community with service related issues since 2006, what have you done for PWCT lately ?

If this was a comedian forum I would be Rodney Dangerfield, I don't get no respect !

Good post, I am having the same experience, doing some glass with regular cloth and its taking me like 15-20 layers to make it stiff, damn rookie sh!t!, bought 2.5 oz cause I was clueless.

^^^^How'd you change your screen name??

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Pm Steph she can change it for you.
    Helping the PWCT community with service related issues since 2006, what have you done for PWCT lately ?

If this was a comedian forum I would be Rodney Dangerfield, I don't get no respect !

I dream skis

My home away from home

http://www.tapplastics.com/

They have all the mat and glass you could need, and are really reasonable price-wise. There is also a good FAQ on their site about the different stuff.

I would recommend Carbon fiber mat, or Kevlar, but be warned they are much harder to cut than glass cloth. I use 2 layers of either one when I am reinforcing, and up to 4 when trying to build up or cover a hole. I also ONLY use epoxy resin. it sticks to everything and has much better results than fiberglass resin, especially on SMC based hulls.

They are also inexpensive for the 2 part expanding foam you are going to need. (I just bought mine for my winter project as well since I noticed the superjet kinda getting that sinking feeling)
    '78 & 87 Suzuki WetBike's. Yup - 2 of them now.
    '94 Blaster - Piped, footholds, trim (wifes boat )
    EnrollerConnect - Stay busy with your insurance license this year!

Don't overlook Fleabay for cheap stuff. Got 32oz. woven in large remnants.

So woven roving would be good for reinforcement of cracked areas as well as for tray support? I'm less concerned with a little extra weight as long as it's going to hold up to some abuse and I don't have to use a square yard of fabric to layer up enough to make a 10" x 10" repair stiff enough.

I dream skis

yes, you'll be in good shape with the woven roving. Other than carbon, that's all I'm using anymore since it doesn't pull apart as easily when you are working with it.

again, use the epoxy resin (I suggest slow or medium speed cure) - another option is to get the Cab-o-sil powder. Lay a layer of glass mat, let it set up, then spread a layer of resin with cab-o-sil, let it set up, then another layer of mat. Should set up hard as a rock and strong as hell.
    '78 & 87 Suzuki WetBike's. Yup - 2 of them now.
    '94 Blaster - Piped, footholds, trim (wifes boat )
    EnrollerConnect - Stay busy with your insurance license this year!

Yeah right now I'm using a 24 hour cure epoxy resin. Does cab-o-sil actually make the resin stronger or does it just thicken it up? Or...does it make it stronger because the thicker resin allows more resin to be used on the fabric?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Fox's Avatar

17oz Biax. End of story.

=]
    Fox the Pirate. UWP IJSBA Flagman & Course Marshall
    Sailing :
    1988 sj550

Warning:
    The above post contains pessimism and player hating to the highest degree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information