JS650 SX - HOT Stator [long story]???
I recently purchased an '88 JS650 SX that I knew had a fried stator/harness. After goin' in to remove the burnt stator asm, I found that the generator cover gasket had been torn and patched with silicon sealant, which didn't work, and the flywheel & magnets were very corroded. My assumption was that this probably the cause for the fried stator asm.
I found a guy locally parting out a similar year JF650 X2 and bought his stator and flywheel (same OEM p/n's)and reinstalled them in my ski. I also completely disassembled my ebox and cleaned out all of the white corrosion inside the box, then reassembled the ebox and installed it in the ski. I did not replace the starter relay or the voltage regulator/rectifier as they "appeared" okay.
Well, after reassembling everything back into the ski and installing a new battery, I bumped the starter switch to see if there was spark and if it would turn over. There was and it did. As I was adding fuel in the tank, I noticed a "warm" smell. I removed the generator cover breather plug and noticed some white smoke inside the case. I disconnected the battery and let the smoke dissipate, then reconnected the battery and waited to see if the smoke reappeared inside the flywheel case. It did. I went ahead and started the engine then shut it quickly and disconnected the battery again.
I've checked out all of the external wiring & grounds up to the ebox, and I can't find anything obvious. My question (finally) is why would there be current flowing from the battery TO the stator asm? If the voltage reg/rect were bad, wouldn't that just all full generator charge capacity to flow unregulated TO the battery? If the starter relay was bad, I assume then the starter switch wouldn't turn the motor over. I'm guessing my problem is with the wire connections inside the ebox, but I'm not sure where since all of the wires matched up when I reassembled all of the ebox components. I'm also wondering if this electrical issue is the reason the stator was fried in the first place?
Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Re: JS650 SX - HOT Stator [Short Version - sort of]???
No takers?... let me shorten my story and question a bit.
Just installed used working stator and flywheel from '88 parted-out 650X-2 into my '88 650SX. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the ebox assembly; installed new plugs, plug wire boots, and new battery. Did not replace the original starter relay and voltage regulator/rectifier.
Problem is that when the battery is connected, the stator heats up to the point where white smoke comes from the generator case breather. The ski does start and seems to run (idle) just fine, however I shut it down after 10 seconds or so.
Assuming for now that all of the harness connections are correct and that all of the grounds are good... would a bad v-reg/rect cause this condition? Is there a simple way to check the v-reg/rect without disassembling the ebox again? What else might be causing this?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Re: JS650 SX - HOT Stator [long story]???
Does the voltage at the batter y actually come up when you start the engine? Ie is the voltage reg etc actually working?
Sounds like a diode may be bung, creating a path for current back thru the coil. Stick an ammeter inline with one of the battery terminals and see what sort of current is being drawn with nothing going.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)