User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Yamaha FX SHO - Problems or Recalls?

I posted an earlier inquiry about whether I should purchase an extended warranty. Is anyone aware of reported problems or recalls involving the Yamaha SHO model?

I dream skis

Re: Yamaha FX SHO - Problems or Recalls?

JMO never purchase extended warranty for anything! the SHO is solid

I know there was a recall when it first came out. The dealer told me that it had something to do with the added horsepower of the supercharger being used with the regular FX HO driveshaft or something. Do not in any way quote me on this as I proceeded to get completely hammered after the 1.5 hours of stop and go traffic it took me to get home from the dealership only to get to the campsite too late to break her in. Anyway, I haven't heard anything negative at all after they fixed the problem and my baby SHO purrs like a kitten.

Mine goes well also, and it was one of the very first ones----arrived here in January.
    I have it in writing from Yamaha that they do not expect to have any issues with them.
    I feel very confident in mine.

I dream skis

first off as a disclaimer i am not a mechanical guy. my friend advised me to buy the extended warranty for my kawi 12f when i bought it because it was the first model year. i never needed it. that same friend owns a yamaha 600 or 660 quad for a few years. he had to rebuild the quad after a gear thingy broke deep inside then engine. it failed due to a design flaw that was fixed in the next model year. while i don't know the exact part it was if was a small sprocket that had a shaft thru it that had 3 notches to turn it. the next year (and the replacement peice my friend had to pay for) had 4 notches. because it was out of warranty yamaha covered nothing. my friend swore he would never buy another yamaha because of the way he was treated. that friend ended up buying yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile last winter though so who knows. i guess the point of my post is if there is a design flaw with the ski and it doesn't fail within the first year, don't expect yamaha to cover it. while they may be really reliable skis you may end up being screwed due to a design flaw. on the other hand since the sho has been around for a while they should have had enough time to work the kinks out. you may not need it. look at the options and decide if it is worth a little piece of mind. i don't getting it for my 12f even though it wasn't needed.

PWCToday Regular

I am not sure how much the yamaha warranty is for that. but Jet skis are so unpredictable that for the 400-500 dollars it might be is worth it for your 15K investment. I bought a kawasaki 1100 stx di brand new from the kawasaki dealer and had nothing but problems up until the end of the extended warranty. The dealer cost to fix the problems was over 4 yrs and over $4000 But that is my 2cents. Many of skiiers get skis w.o ever using it. I know that I will always buy the extended, also on the flip side I bought the extended warranty for $1500 for my jeep and never used it

You may have an issue with your credit cards being recalled with the sudden spike in fuel purchases made since it is so hard to get off the SHO!

As for extended warrenties, they depend on how much and how hard you will use the device. I've had them on a couple of motocycles and one was used. The other is still in effect but unused. Most are pretty strict on not covering wear parts and pretty liberal about defining things as wear parts.

The average hours per year on a jet ski seem to be around 45 - 50. I was searching around and found those ranges. If you'r edoing much more than that, you would be a good candidate for the warrenty.

Tom

Thread Information